Eric Duncan

Moviepass and its Impact on the Box Office

I’ll be seeing Jurassic World 2 via MoviePass. Would have waited for Netflix otherwise. The theater will also be reaping in revenue from my popcorn purchase, one I wouldn’t have otherwise made if not for MP.

I love how MoviePass shows up in my autocorrect. Lol

Edited by lilmac

5 minutes ago, antovolk said:

It's a theater chain scheme, like AMC's.

Does it not answer your question then ? I am not sure to follow you.

Someone say that it is really hard for a system like this is distributor or at least theater chain are not on board and you ask why does a theater chain system work in the UK ?

Nearest AMC is 25 miles away so there'd be no incentive for me to switch even if I didn't have the annual pass.

I'm curious how they implement this supposed surcharge. They'd have a bunch of outcries immediately if they implemented it on just any film opening. They should be able to tell at this point whether or not any movie is actually surging for an individual screening

Nearest AMC is 25 miles away so there'd be no incentive for me to switch even if I didn't have the annual pass.

AMC pass isn't for everyone for obvious reasons, distance to theater will be the limiting factor for many.

But they have a pass that can actually last, AMC monthly pass won't lose money for the company every time it is used.

Edited by Mojoguy

Upgrade to Galaxy. Get MoviePass™ free.

When you purchase a Galaxy S9 or S9+ now through 6/30/18, you’ll get a free movie ticket every day with two 1-year MoviePass memberships, a $251.90 value.

https://samsungpromotions.com/UpgradetoGalaxy1/?marslinkcategory=mphone:mphone&MKM_RID=0205790329&MKM_MID=PDM63313&CID=eml-mb-cph-618-2241-V3.2&childItem=mvpss-np-1yx2&promoCode=UE577VZY7

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

2 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

I'm curious how they implement this supposed surcharge. They'd have a bunch of outcries immediately if they implemented it on just any film opening. They should be able to tell at this point whether or not any movie is actually surging for an individual screening

what surcharge? i keep hearing about a surcharge but no explanation to what it is

24 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

MoviePass is going to start doing a $2 surcharge for popular movies. The criteria for a popular movie is unknown

WTF. Lmao what a joke. Do they charge it on our monthly fee? I think if that the case im for sure switching to AMC a*list. 

4 minutes ago, YLF said:

WTF. Lmao what a joke. Do they charge it on our monthly fee? I think if that the case im for sure switching to AMC a*list. 

It's only charged if you see a popular movie; if you wait until the movie is unpopular, there's no surcharge. It sounds like you have to pay the 2 bucks upfront when buying the ticket

Edited by WrathOfHan

That surcharge is interesting.

MoviePass

1. Gives you “unlimited” movies a month for $10 a month

2. No Premium seating

3. If “popular” movie means something opening weekend, that could mean $8 extra a month if you see a new release each week.

4. Possibility it won’t still be here at the years end

AMC

1. 3 Movies a week for $20 a month

2. Includes premium seating and concession discounts

3. No popular movie surcharge as of now

4. Limits you to AMC.

5. Will safely still be here

6. You can reserve seats

If you don’t care about Dolby or IMAX (or your AMC lacks them), if you don’t buy concessions to much, if you don’t care about reserve seating, and/or if you simply have a better theater preference MP would probably be the better deal while it’s here.  Unless you’re seeing more than 4 “popular” movies a month.

If you’re seeing more than 4 “popular” movies a month, that alone would make the AMC deal better (if there’s a decent one close to you) as you could see them, in whatever form you want, be able to reserve seats and have a discount on concessions if you ever want them.

The worst thing about the AMC deal is I’d feel tied to a specific theater.  But if I were to choose between them the reserved seating and Dolby make up for whatever marginal monthly price you have to pay (especially since the MP price would feel more like 12-16 dollars since I usually see big movies on OW)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

Lol, it's ridiculous how much people have overreacted to every small little change in MoviePass' service. It takes a lot more than $2 for a few opening weekend movies to make it a raw deal.

its how they implement them and how they communicate changes to the customers.

if they gave people a month or two notice people would be less outraged

right now, most customers are unaware of pending changes, they will find out in couple weeks when they go theater, with probably less than a day official notice

• Like 1

Yea, the part about buying a ticket for a friend but only at e-ticket theaters is useless to me as there isn’t a theater within a 50 mile radius of me that has e-ticketing lol

The surcharge thing is only for opening weekend I think(read it somewhere else) and for certain showtimes. It’s meant to try and drive business to the week days a little more. We tend to see most movies during the week or earlier in the day on weekends, so whatever. 

I find it hard to imagine them being able to milk the surcharge thing for very long. In more sprawling areas with a lot of theater competition they're often not even a quarter full for everything but the most hyped blockbusters. 

I just hope if there is a surcharge the app will indicate it before I drive all the way to the theater to check in. 

Edited by tribefan695

12 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

I find it hard to imagine them being able to milk the surcharge thing for very long. In more sprawling areas with a lot of theater competition they're often not even a quarter full for everything but the most hyped blockbusters. 

I just hope if there is a surcharge the app will indicate it before I drive all the way to the theater to check in. 

The problem is they can make a surcharge anything they choose.  They don't have any data about how full a theater is...expect them to just apply surcharges on any popular movie.  

AMC apparently told studios about a*list one week before it launched not giving studios time to react to the reduction in price lol

I read an article saying if studios see a reduction in revenue they will attempt to keep movies from AMC and have them change the subscription service model they have.

AMC is only going to be paying studios 60% of 8.99 per ticket sold on the subscription.

• Astonished 1