CJohn

THE LAST JEDI (and Ferdinand) WEEKEND THREAD | JEDI 220m, FERDINAND 13.3m, COCO 10m (official estimates) | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SALE ON GOLD & PREMIUM ACCOUNTS IN FIRST POST

5 minutes ago, the beast said:

@a2knet how does Ferdinands previews of $350K compare to other animated movies around the same time and what is your projection for it?

There's hardly any preview comp for animation films this time of the year. Alvin:Road Chip had no previews and Sing opened on a Wed (21st December).

So don't know how good/bad those numbers are. Mojo points that Cap Underpants did 650k previews 23.85m ow earlier this year, which gives Ferdi ~13m weekend. But summer previews are far more frontloaded than now. So don't think it's gonna go sub-15m ow. Guessing 17-18m.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Apollo2xx said:

A lot of movies have 30 million+ ratings: School of Rock, ROTK, POTC 1, Finding Nemo, Fast and furious 2, Bruce Almighty, Love Actually, Kill Bill 1, Mean Girls, The Notebook, Shrek 2, Meet the Fockers, The Day After Tomorrow, 50 First Dates, A Cinderella Story, The Incredibles, White Chicks, Harry Potter 4, Narnia 1, King Kong, Star Wars III, Mr and Mrs Smith, Wedding Crashers, War of the Worlds, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Longest Yard, Sin City, Saw II, Hitch, Spider Man 1, Austin Powers 3, The Ring, 8 Mile, About a Boy, Braveheart, Matrix, Titanic, American Pie, Pretty Woman, Ace Ventura 1, Rocky, ET, Donnie Darko, Scary Movie, Ocean's Eleven, 10 Things I Hate About You.

Yeah it's a glitch or spamming somewhere for all of them

To put those numbers in perspective. TDK has less than 2m and there isn't a movie more tailor made for RT voting - especially around 2008.

• Like 1

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Like always it will have the Award film expansions like The Post & The Shape of Water

I don't know if either can break out La La Land-style though. Post should aim for Munich numbers.

2 minutes ago, cookie said:

January 2018 is death. There's a chance none of the films released make more than $60m.

2018 will have to wait for Black Panther to save it.

Nah, something will break out...I foresee at least 1 $100M movie...whether that's the wide opening for a limited (which I would count as Jan - 4 screens on Dec 25th to Oscar qualify still makes you a Jan movie), a quality sequel, or some horror film that comes out of nowhere...

Now, Feb will be better, no doubt, but I don't think Jan will be as bad as Aug and Oct were...

Theres a chance for Last Jedi imo to Top six weekends in a row, if everything underperforms in January (which i expect) and TLJ doesnt completely collapse in 2018. I dont really see any of the awards film getting a La La Land/Hidden Figures like breakout. 

• Like 1

The last Insidious movie barely did $50m.

The Commuter and Maze Runner both look like they're two years too late.

12 Strong and Den of Thieves seem like non-entities.

I guess that leaves Paddington 2 but family sequels have a spotty track record.

January being death for movies ain't nothing new I think.

January is reserved for the spill over of the clever movies designed for smart & educated people with impecable taste.

Edited by The Futurist

4 minutes ago, cookie said:

I don't know if either can break out La La Land-style though. Post should aim for Munich numbers.

I think The Post could at least do Bridge of Spies numbers and f it gets a lot of noms then a push for $100m.

Hidden Figures was the real surprise breakout domestically that few saw coming.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cookie said:

Agreed on most of these but Paddington 2 has such great reviews though and looks to be a total charmer like the first which arrived without much fanfare so it might have room to grow.

11 minutes ago, cookie said:

Paddington 2 should do just as well as the first. It's supposed to be about as good as the first one, and with a better different distributor now, I think it's fine. 

23 minutes ago, cookie said:

January 2018 is death. There's a chance none of the films released make more than $60m.

2018 will have to wait for Black Panther to save it.

Paddington 2

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Ferd's number is solid; over The Road Chip is the goal here.

Is your current Avatar image even real ?

is this a horror movie I don't know about ?

It s scary AF.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Haha 1