CJohn

THE LAST JEDI (and Ferdinand) WEEKEND THREAD | JEDI 220m, FERDINAND 13.3m, COCO 10m (official estimates) | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SALE ON GOLD & PREMIUM ACCOUNTS IN FIRST POST

14 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

The fact I’m hearing best since Empire on one end and worse than TPM on the other shows how over the top some fans can be on their reactions. 

Extremes are silly. I'd rate it after A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Revenge of the Sith and Rouge One. It's much better than the rest.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LonePirate said:

What was the last mega blockbuster that was largely loved by critics but outright hated by hard core fans? Has there ever been one? Usually both groups either love or hate the film or in some cases, critics hate the film but hardcore fans love it.

Crystal Skull and Revenge of the Sith perhaps. Georgie in consideration twice!

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

prequels still aren't good but i'm ok with saying ian mcdiarmid in Sith is the best performance across all 9 movies.

its because he had the only character that didn't need any kind of development.  George was prolly like "Ian, just be evil and enjoy the hell out of it"

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

MODERATION ANNOUNCEMENT:

The Mod team is pleased to announce the Gold and Premium account sales at 25-30% discounts for the accounts.

Premium is now just 7.5$ compared to 10$ previously for a month, or if you are purchasing a year it is just 90$ down from 110$

Gold is 11$ down from 15$ for a month, or 130$ per year down from 165$ per year

Go here to make your purchase: https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/store

With Gold Accounts you get

500 "Likes" a Day

Ad-Free Viewing

Unlimited Display Name Changes

Custom Signature

Personal Blog

Ability to send Private Chats to members in Chat Room

Access to Special Forum

Upload Images to Gallery

Add Events to Community Calender

PM Box Increased to 150

Deal.

9 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Clunky pacing like Man of Steel or smooth and steady like Bladerunner 2049?

Oh, nothing like Man of Steel. I hate that film. Gets a D from me. Haven't seen Bladerunner 2049...

You'll know when you see it. 

5 hours ago, Cheebs86 said:

ESB was extremely divisive when it came out. This is no different.

5 years from now TLJ will be seen as the consensus best film of the franchise.

People will pretend like they always loved it. Just like what happened with Empire.

I was there. It wasn't divisive. People loved it, but were shocked by the Vader revelation and the fact that the film had an unresolved ending. But in the summer of '81(a year after ESB), everyone in my age group's favorite movies were Raiders, Empire, and Superman 2.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Crystal Skull and Revenge of the Sith perhaps. Georgie in consideration twice!

Not ROTS (a lot of people seem to like it), but KOTCS definitely. It has a 77% on RT's, and almost everyone seems to hate it. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

5 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

What was the last mega blockbuster that was largely loved by critics but outright hated by hard core fans? Has there ever been one? Usually both groups either love or hate the film or in some cases, critics hate the film but hardcore fans love it.

Again, for Star Wars (American) critics are hardcore fans.

Some of the reactions was incredibly similar to Half-Blood Prince, a film that when released, divided the fanbase more than any in the series. But damn, TLJ took it to an another level entirely. However, HBP got a lot more love as time passed, and I have a feeling TLJ will too. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Noctis said:

I really enjoyed King Kong, but it's unfortunately a 10/10 2-hour film stretched into a 7/10 three-hour film. 

King Kong 05 is a flat out better film with the fast-forward button in your hand. Some scenes are very good on their own, but totally unnecessary. And the 1st act drags on the boat. I love it, but i dont know why PJ decided to give a King Kong Movie the runtime of a LotR film.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Brainbug said:

King Kong 05 is a flat out better film with the fast-forward button in your hand. Some scenes are very good on their own, but totally unnecessary. And the 1st act drags on the boat. I love it, but i dont know why PJ decided to give a King Kong Movie the runtime of a LotR film.

At least he didn't repeat that mistake with The Hobbit.:sparta:

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

The boat scenes are brutally long.