CJohn

THE LAST JEDI (and Ferdinand) WEEKEND THREAD | JEDI 220m, FERDINAND 13.3m, COCO 10m (official estimates) | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SALE ON GOLD & PREMIUM ACCOUNTS IN FIRST POST

28 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Not at all for me. It's right in the middle. The best moments and beats are exceptional. The lesser beats are much lesser. All in all, adds up to C+/B- from this guy.

That is exactly the grade I gave TLJ, too.

‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Eyeing $202M-$208M Opening After $97M-$100M Friday – Midday Update

(Ferdinand 4.5-5 Friday)

Early industry estimates have Disney/Lucasfilm’s Star Wars: The Last Jedi flying to a $202M-$208M opening the fourth best of all-time after Force Awakens ($247.966M), Jurassic World ($208.8M) and Marvel’s The Avengers ($207.4M) and the second best December has ever seen after Force Awakens.  Today alone, including last night’s Thursday night previews of $45M, is looking between $97M-$100M, again the second best opening day ever after Force Awakens’ $119.1M. Yes, this could possible go even higher to $205M-$210M as the weekend goes on. Where and how well is this playing? “It is going to do $200M on its opening weekend and it is working everywhere that the seats face the screens” says one exhibition czar. 

Ferdinand is looking similar to Road Chip with $4.5M-$5M today and a $14M-$15M opening weekend.

http://deadline.com/2017/12/the-last-jedi-star-wars-box-office-thursday-night-preview-record-1202227654/

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Eyeing $202M-$208M Opening After $97M-$100M Friday – Midday Update

http://deadline.com/2017/12/the-last-jedi-star-wars-box-office-thursday-night-preview-record-1202227654/

Where and how well is this playing? “It is going to do $200M on its opening weekend and it is working everywhere that the seats face the screens” says one exhibition czar. 

Are there seats that don't face the screen? 

• Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, DARth DAR said:

Are there seats that don't face the screen? 

One good way to torture someone would be to make them face away from the screen so that they can hear the audio but can't see the visuals. #TryItOnRoyMoore #MakeRoyMooreConcede

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MattW said:

The thing to watch out for with early updates is that they're guessing at how walkups will be the rest of the day, and with a movie like Star wars presales are bigger than normal so there's more room to overestimate walkups, which is what happened with the force awakens and that ridiculous 130-145m Friday early DL estimate

Yeah, with numbers as atypical as a Star Wars movie produces, projecting properly can be tricky. So, folks fall back on the best comparables which are... other Star Wars movies.

Usually that works fine, but this time I'm a little unsure. I'm still not entirely buying that those User Ratings at RT are legit, but its clear at this point that LJ isn't behaving like TFA or R1, and I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't end up following their patterns.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Brainbug said:

If anything, the fact that Diehard-SW Fans are pissed is always a good sign you have a great SW movie on your hands.

Like Episodes 1-3?  :hahaha:

I'm seeing this Sunday night and I'm eager to see why some fans really hate it, but I'll just go ahead and say fanboy entitlement is the worst.  Fuck fanboy entitlement.  Episodes 1-3 didn't didn't suck because fanboys hated them, they sucked because they were poorly made movies in pretty much every way from the directing/writing/performances/visuals.  If I come out of TLJ and see that these reactions are mostly due to fanboys getting an unpredictable movie that goes in unexpected directions but works on its own merits, i'm gonna be laughing at these folks until grim22 gives me a warning point.

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I'm seeing this Sunday night and I'm eager to see why some fans really hate it, but I'll just go ahead and say fanboy entitlement is the worst.  Fuck fanboy entitlement.  Episodes 1-3 didn't didn't suck because fanboys hated them, they sucked because they were poorly made movies in pretty much every way from the directing/writing/performances/visuals.  If I come out of TLJ and see that these reactions are mostly due to fanboys getting an unpredictable movie that goes in unexpected directions but works on its own merits, i'm gonna be laughing at these folks until grim22 gives me a warning point.

Direction, performances, and visuals are far and way the best of the entire saga.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I recognozie my mistake in that post regarding the Prequel Trilogy now :hahaha:

Honestly, for me, these 3 movies are so shitty i dont consider them proper SW-movies anymore. Its just that ESB got initial backlash from ANH-fans who hated it. Force Awakens got initial (and still-ongoing) backlash from some Diehard-Fans that hated it. In general, i meant that whenever fanboys are triggered, not about the filmmaking but the actual plot and character choices, its usually a good sign for a stand-out movie regarding the quality.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elessar said:

:winomg:

Have you seen it?

Visuals in TLJ far outclass its predecessors it's not even funny. Performances are also great here. Ridley, Driver, Hamill, and Dern were fantastic. Direction is actually very strong, but my biggest problem was with the damn pacing. 

• Like 5