CJohn

THE LAST JEDI (and Ferdinand) WEEKEND THREAD | JEDI 220m, FERDINAND 13.3m, COCO 10m (official estimates) | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SALE ON GOLD & PREMIUM ACCOUNTS IN FIRST POST

10 minutes ago, Sand-omJC said:

Fair to say everyone I've spoken to, at work and family, has liked it. but that's only a handful of people.

Lots of ppl I know hate it or thought it was boring. WOM is 1000% going to be mixed, even outside the hardcore fan fury

• Like 1

Just now, Sand-omJC said:

I'm sure. But I do think this movie was like hard coded for my likes. so I'm glad It exists.

Yea it's my favorite of the 3 Disney Wars and that's not going to change. Has the highest highs

• Like 8

From everything I'm seeing, there is no middle ground.  This is either THE WORST EVA, you have RUINED MY LIFE RIAN, or GROUNDBREAKING, RISK TAKING, GENIUS.  I think that might help word of mouth, since if everyone's telling you different things, you should go see it for yourself.

I think the biggest issue will be repeat viewers.  How is the divisiveness going to affect repeating viewings? Which is usually how these franchise films push themselves over the top.  (That said, I still think doing 800m DOM instead of 936m is nothing to cry home about).

20 minutes ago, DAJK said:

In somewhat unrelated new sn I notice s that Daddy's Home 2 ended its run at my theatre with our equivalent of 174.7M

Wonder is at 230M and has still got 30M or so to go

both DH2 and MOTOE will go over 100m Dom without breaking a sweat. MOTOE's lead seems to be thinning as Holidays come over us and DH2 is more a Holiday film so has been getting stronger. But I think 107+ for MOTOE and 109+ for DH2.

2 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

From everything I'm seeing, there is no middle ground.  This is either THE WORST EVA, you have RUINED MY LIFE RIAN, or GROUNDBREAKING, RISK TAKING, GENIUS.  I think that might help word of mouth, since if everyone's telling you different things, you should go see it for yourself.

I think the biggest issue will be repeat viewers.  How is the divisiveness going to affect repeating viewings? Which is usually how these franchise films push themselves over the top.  (That said, I still think doing 800m DOM instead of 936m is nothing to cry home about).

I think it will end closer to $700m than $800m but then I thought that even before it opened. 

It's a regular consequence of a sequel to a mega Blockbuster to drop - and we've already had two 20-30% drops (depending on how one calculates ESB's drop) for second installments in the Star Wars series.

4 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Not at all for me. It's right in the middle. The best moments and beats are exceptional. The lesser beats are much lesser. All in all, adds up to C+/B- from this guy.

• Like 1

Just now, TalismanRing said:

I think it will end closer to $700m than $800m but then I thought that even before it opened. 

It's a regular consequence of a sequel to a mega Blockbuster to drop - and we've already had two 20-30% drops (depending on how one calculates ESB's drop) for second installments in the Star Wars series.

I'm not convinced it gets to 700M

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Not at all for me. It's right in the middle. The best moments and beats are exceptional. The lesser beats are much lesser. All in all, adds up to C+/B- from this guy.

You're way too even keeled for discussing this movie.  Fan Boy Card Revoked - or maybe you never applied for one?  Tsk Tsk 

10 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I'm not convinced it gets to 700M

SW7's multiplier (57 previews => 248 ow) takes it to 196 ow from 45 previews. Then needs 3.57x for 700.

If it beats SW7's multi and does 200 ow, still needs 3.5x for 700m dom.

Beating RO's 3.4x multi will be tough imo.

Low 190s ow, around 3.35-3.38x multi and O/U 650 seems more plausible than 700.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Yea it's my favorite of the 3 Disney Wars and that's not going to change. Has the highest highs

100% there with you. I liked The Force Awakens a lot, it was well crafted, was a nice reintroduction to the SW world with some fun new characters and untouched old ones, and just a very entertaining film, but it doesn't stand out all that much. Rogue One was good, but a lot of shallow characters and a very uneven pacing and tone are too big problems to ignore.

This has its issues, sure it does, and upon leaning down from the hype of watching it, it is true that the film does some... very risky and ballsy moves. But as far as I'm concerned, most of those totally worked for me. This is my favorite Star Wars movie since Empire Strikes Back tbh. Yes, I liked it more than ROTJ, kiss my ass hatahs.