CJohn

THE LAST JEDI (and Ferdinand) WEEKEND THREAD | JEDI 220m, FERDINAND 13.3m, COCO 10m (official estimates) | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SALE ON GOLD & PREMIUM ACCOUNTS IN FIRST POST

17 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

Just got back from TLJ.

This movie sucked. 

I grew up with Star Wars.  My first toys were Star Wars action figures. I literally grew up with Star Wars and it is my greatest love in life.  

This movie...

Thematically, structurally, artistically...all shit.

It's one long string of dumb followed by more dumb ending with even more dumb.

Disappointment is not a strong enough word for how I feel. It's like Rian Johnson took my childhood and wiped his ass with it while grinning like the cheshire cat. I want to punch him in the face.  

Some of you may like it. Some of you have no respect for the source material. I’m officially done with Disney Star Wars.

I respect the source material just fine, and while I didn’t love it, I did like it a lot. Feel free to go vent your spleen on RT.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

Some of you may like it. Some of you have no respect for the source material. I’m officially done with Disney Star Wars.

21b.jpg

(If you hadn't insulted the ones who liked it or threatened to punch Rian Johnson, I wouldn't have posted the gif)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 6

guys don't worry i'm reading up on this now

A violent explosion awoke Eve. She sat up in her queen-sized bed and looked around the room. She recalled that General Grievous came into her room, they talked, they laughed, they danced for a bit to a song she had recorded (but with better quality and she actually knew what it was called this time; "Moonlight Serenade" it was called by some dead guy who played music; or so Grievous said that's who it was), they sat on the bed, they kissed and then they slept. Was there anything sexual that happened? She thought. She went through her memories of a few hours back; no, they just fell asleep on the same bed; the first time she had ever done that with a male. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 3
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 6
  • Disbelief 1

46 minutes ago, WilliamK99 said:

Lost in the hype of TLJ opening weekend is JL's drop, do people still believe this can reach 240 million domestic? I think it's going to have problem's getting to 230 especially if it keeps dropping theatres....

I think it should make 230, but 240 is all but dead if it can only pull in 4M this weekend.

It lost alot of theaters this weekend (806 - 23% of its screens). It is likely to lose that much again over Christmas. i thought TLJ was likely going to cut off any late legs for JL and that looks to be what is happening. 235-236 would seem to be about its max if it doesn't recover next week. I've been saying that whatever it had on 12/13 would likely be about 90% of its final gross.

Coco is doing pretty well considering it lost 593 theaters - almost double what Moana lost last yr vs R1. Ferdinand not playing very well helps Coco. Based on what we are seeing so far I think Coco will jump ahead of Ferdinand next weekend. Coco has some potential for nice late legs as it has no Sing type competition to worry about.

I do wonder if the whole 'divisive' thing with TLJ is internet echo chamber noise. An A cinemascore and a 5* comscore suggest the GA is liking the movie. it takes about 7-10 days to truly see what a movie's legs are, so we wait and watch numbers come in and see what the numbers say.

My personal opinion is that anything over 62 on Saturday would be a great number, so if RTH's number ends up being accurate than that would be an amazing number imo. Right now i'm not convinced any of this talk is breaking through to anyone other than the small group of people that really follow movies closely.

RTH's number would mean a likely worst case scenario of 104.8 + 65 + 53 = 223. That's sort of insane.

I'll also add congrats to Disney for going over 2B DOM Saturday and taking over the DOM lead. 

Going to be really interesting to see what the studio estimates are tomorrow. Disney has never been one to be really off in a positive direction on estimates. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Porthos said:

21b.jpg

(If you hadn't insulted the ones who liked it or threatened to punch Rian Johnson, I wouldn't have posted the gif)

Dude I loved Looper, but what he did with Star Wars is disrespectful. Yeah it’s sour grapes, but I saw 100x better storylines in the EU books, than the Goddamn trimester abortion I saw this afternoon.