baumer

Tuesday#s TLJ 20.25M

2 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

I've spoken to enough people (non-nerds/fanboys who don't follow the movie scene religiously) to know it isn't just that.

My lovely love wife and I saw The Last Jedi opening day in the state capital (where you get all walks of life) at the local IMAX. Packed and a meat-and-potatoes crowd. A tad bit of laughter, no clapping, no cheering. Silence when it ended. They didn't like it. 

I'm all for kicking the fanboys in the balls and dismissing them for the idiots they are. But this reaction goes beyond just them. It's not the vocal minority these condescending and snobby think-pieces (many coming from people who are friends of Rian Johnson, mind you) are saying.

The crowd you described probably has a wide range of feelings about the movie, just like pretty much every crowd at the movies. I would guess a lot of them did enjoy it. A lot of people enjoyed Ultron too and it still lost 20% of the multiplier from its predecessor. That means it also retained 80% of it, but it doesn't take much of a decline to have a big impact on the box office gross.

Last Jedi could retain 85% of TFA's multiplier which would be about a 3.2 multi and it would end up around $705 million. That's a hell of a nice performance overall, but also a huge drop from the previous movie. Just the way it goes with sequels a lot of the time. "Good" WOM is not good enough to retain performance of the previous movie.

8 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

I've spoken to enough people (non-nerds/fanboys who don't follow the movie scene religiously) to know it isn't just that.

My lovely love wife and I saw The Last Jedi opening day in the state capital (where you get all walks of life) at the local IMAX. Packed and a meat-and-potatoes crowd. A tad bit of laughter, no clapping, no cheering. Silence when it ended. They didn't like it. 

Because I'm sure you spoke to everyone afterwards?  

I have seen it three times and not once did I cheer or clap so therefore I must not have liked it.

- (4) Wonder Lionsgate $1,216,906 +41% 3,047 $399   $111,165,140 33
- (5) Justice League Warner Bros. $735,647 +41% 2,702 $272   $220,852,564 33

If JL is expected to add 14 more for say 235, how much can Wonder add? Same ratio as JL gives 1.217/0.736*14 = 23.15 more and naturally better trending (they were neck and neck just a few days back) will give it at least 29 more imo for 111+29=140 dom. Depending on how it behaves after New Years, how it does during MLK 4-day and during Oscar season, 150 cannot be ruled out yet. Small/big expansions could happen too.

6 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

The crowd you described probably has a wide range of feelings about the movie, just like pretty much every crowd at the movies. I would guess a lot of them did enjoy it. A lot of people enjoyed Ultron too and it still lost 20% of the multiplier from its predecessor. That means it also retained 80% of it, but it doesn't take much of a decline to have a big impact on the box office gross.

Last Jedi could retain 85% of TFA's multiplier which would be about a 3.2 multi and it would end up around $705 million. That's a hell of a nice performance overall, but also a huge drop from the previous movie. Just the way it goes with sequels a lot of the time. "Good" WOM is not good enough to retain performance of the previous movie.

Even with great WOM there will be people who won't come back cause they didn't connect with TFA/the movie wasn't for them. Events such as TFA attract audience that usually won't go to the cinema or doesn't watch such movies, but they see an event so they can participate in the conversation. TLJ is no event and nobody expected it to be. Hence why some audience is not returning - TFA maxed out so there was never a room for growth. 

Edited by Valonqar

can somebody please answer this.  according to Deadline,

"Yesterday, ComScore reported 17% K-12 schools out. Today that figure jumps to 24%, then 39% on Thursday and 61% on Friday. "

is the percentage of schools being out usually in line with the percentage of the rest of society being available to go to the movies?  In a few moments, I will be tracking the adults movies on day to day and I will see the picture better.  I guess I am wondering if Star Wars should have increased.  Does schools matter that much for movies like Star Wars?  I was hoping maybe when 17% of schools are out, that also means 17% of the public is available including those working full time jobs.

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

Even with great WOM there will be people who won't come back cause they didn't connect with TFA/the movie wasn't for them. Events such as TFA attract audience that usually won't go to the cinema or doesn't watch such movies, but they see an event so they can participate in the conversation. TLJ is no event and nobody expected it to be. Hence why some audience is not returning - TFA maxed out so there was never a room for growth. 

Well I would say it's a pretty big event. It just opened to an incredible $220m at a time of year that isn't known for huge openings.

Just now, Darth Boh-ne'er said:

I have seen it three times and not once did I cheer or clap so therefore I must not have liked it.

I merely reported what I saw and stating I have spoken to others with similar reactions and audience responses. Nothing more, nothing less.

You need a chill pill and a diaper change. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

can somebody please answer this.  according to Deadline,

"Yesterday, ComScore reported 17% K-12 schools out. Today that figure jumps to 24%, then 39% on Thursday and 61% on Friday. "

is the percentage of schools being out usually in line with the percentage of the rest of society being available to go to the movies?  In a few moments, I will be tracking the adults movies on day to day and I will see the picture better.  I guess I am wondering if Star Wars should have increased.  Does schools matter that much for movies like Star Wars?  I was hoping maybe when 17% of schools are out, that also means 17% of the public is available including those working full time jobs.

The more important number is that it’s less than Monday (31%). 

In short, I can’t really say one way or another. The audience demo stats suggests that it’s skewing slightly younger for TLJ vs TFA, so that’s something 

28 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

I'm all for kicking the fanboys in the balls and dismissing them for the idiots they are. But this reaction goes beyond just them. It's not the vocal minority these condescending and snobby think-pieces (many coming from people who are friends of Rian Johnson, mind you) are saying.

This is anecdotal, though. You realize that, yes?

12 minutes ago, Darth Boh-ne'er said:

I can say I've never cheered or clapped at a movie.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DARth DAR said:

I can say I've never cheered or clapped at a movie.  

see I've cheered for people that clapped for the movie so I guess it looked like I was cheering/clapping for the movie

:P 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

I merely reported what I saw and stating I have spoken to others with similar reactions and audience responses. Nothing more, nothing less.

You need a chill pill and a diaper change. 

So you come in here and state that there is in fact no explanation other than WOM, I counter your anecdotal evidence and I'm the one that needs a diaper change?

• Like 1

I will also note that I saw the show again last night at 10PM to a sold out house and there was applause at the end.

And that means absolutely nothing about word of mouth because the sample size is insignificant and not representative to tell us anything other than that my theater last night at 10PM in Austin TX really dug it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1