grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

42 minutes ago, Hermia said:

The truth is that fans don't care about Luke, the real draw Han Solo died in the first movie,so....

Yep, I said that in TLJ thread some time ago as my reasoning that the BO would be limited.

There's a lesson here for Disney to not stomp all over what fans want.  There's also a lesson to keep some basic consistency with the last SW movie.

This isn't just superfans who are spreading bad WOM although that's definitely part of it.  It's also coming from casual moviegoers who liked TFA as its own thing and wanted some consistency between films.

I think its possible the Cinemascore system could have a flaw when it comes to culturally significant franchises like SW (not that SW has many analogues).  Its anecdotal and not data, but I know a number of people who would've given the movie a positive rating initially but became more soured on it in the days after.  A becomes B becomes C.  Not everyone obviously but perhaps enough to generate bad word of mouth and become a drag.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Yep, I said that in TLJ thread some time ago as my reasoning that the BO would be limited.

Han or no Han, second SW movie in a trilogy always drops hard. Including ESB that had lots of Han. TLJ is behaving like a typical second SW movie and IX will behave like a typical third SW movie. It's the most typical boxoffice run ever.

TD YD Title (Click to View) Studio Daily Gross % +/- YD / LW Theaters / Avg Gross To-Date Day
1 1 Star Wars: The Last Jedi BV $24,680,000 +38% -76% 4,232 $5,832 $321,282,356 8
2 2 Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle Sony $12,500,000 +66% - 3,765 $3,320 $29,105,967 3
3 - Pitch Perfect 3 Uni. $10,618,000 - - 3,447 $3,080 $10,618,000 1
4 3 The Greatest Showman Fox $3,125,000 +46% - 3,006 $1,040 $7,723,731 3
5 4 Ferdinand Fox $2,760,000 +64% -24% 3,630 $760 $22,242,884 8
6 - Downsizing Par. $2,050,000 - - 2,668 $768 $2,050,000 1
7 5 Coco BV $1,854,000 +41% -18% 2,111 $878 $157,973,128 31
8 - Darkest Hour Focus $1,421,000 +993% +571% 806 $1,763 $4,274,077 31
9 - Father Figures WB $1,365,000 - - 2,902 $470 $1,365,000 1
10 - The Shape of Water FoxS $1,160,000 +444% +136% 726 $1,598 $5,725,665 22
11 6 Wonder LGF $1,100,000 +18% -25% 1,130 $973 $114,057,750 36
12 7 The Star Sony $460,000 -9% +19% 1,106 $416 $37,551,925 36
- 8 Justice League WB $370,000 +1% -65% 1,101 $336 $221,993,455 36
- 12 Daddy's Home 2 Par. $314,000 +16% -66% 1,073 $293 $98,589,556 43
- 10 Thor: Ragnarok BV $293,000 -14% -63% 701 $418 $308,583,758 50
- - Murder on the Orient Express (2017) Fox $175,000 -21% -74% 447 $391 $98,896,983 43
- - Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri FoxS $160,000 -10% -62% 307 $521 $22,375,619 43
- - The Post Fox $158,122 - - 9 $17,569 $158,122 1
- - Marshall ORF $7,726 +174% +61% 58 $133 $9,445,273 71
- - Hostiles ENTMP $7,000 - - 3 $2,333 $7,000 1

We need to talk about that wonder hold, losing 2000+ theater but still a 25% drop!!! Amazing!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

You'll get flak for this post but it's very true. 

There hasn't been a good number for The Last Jedi ever since Sunday.

There is no doubt it will be a massive performance in the end but so was BvS to a lesser extent. Is there still anyone sane not saying this was a disaster seeing how it affected JL?

I am not saying this one is coming close to that disaster did but still, it is showing signs of mixed-to-bad WoM that can potentially affect future installements or at least burn a bit of the huge potential coming out of TFA.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jordanstine said:

Thor has been earning more $ per theater. Probably will surpass JL sometime soon in dailies.

Its PTA is good but difference in TC gonna make it hard for it to catch up.

On the other hand, I projected Ragnarok to make 6-7M more at best, so with JL grossing closer and closer to Ragnarok’s numbers daily, don’t see it make much more than 7M either. Over/under Doctor Strange will be close.

FWIW Star Wars did see a big screen cut around here with so many new movies arriving this week. This year's crop of Christmas openers are a more appealing bunch than when The Force Awakens came out (Daddy's Home was the only one to make over $60M, while Jumanji, Pitch Perfect 3, and most likely The Greatest Showman will all comfortably pass that mark).

1 minute ago, REC said:

There's a lesson here for Disney to not stomp all over what fans want.  There's also a lesson to keep some basic consistency with the last SW movie.

This isn't just superfans who are spreading bad WOM although that's definitely part of it.  It's also coming from casual moviegoers who liked TFA as its own thing and wanted some consistency between films.

I think its possible the Cinemascore system could have a flaw when it comes to culturally significant franchises like SW (not that SW has many analogues).  Its anecdotal and not data, but I know a number of people who would've given the movie a positive rating initially but became more soured on it in the days after.  A becomes B becomes C.  Not everyone obviously but perhaps enough to generate bad word of mouth and become a drag.

For me it's been the opposite, while I was watching it the parts that annoyed me stuck out, but the more I think about it the more I wouldn't mind watching it again for the visuals and the good moments (although if I watch it a 2nd time I might be just as annoyed as the first time...).  

Also my 11 year old niece hates that disney bought star wars and I want to see it with her and hear her explain all the ways TLJ sucks cause she's pretty funny

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

There hasn't been a good number for The Last Jedi ever since Sunday.

There is no doubt it will be a massive performance in the end but so was BvS to a lesser extent. Is there still anyone sane not saying this was a disaster seeing how it affected JL?

I am not saying this one is coming close to that disaster did but still, it is showing signs of mixed-to-bad WoM that can potentially affect future installements or at least burn a bit of the huge potential coming out of TFA.

It's Monday number was about the most normal Monday drop possible based on other movies in theaters now and past years with this calendar.  Everything since then not good though.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, REC said:

Pandering to fans isn't an answer either. PT did tons of fan service and super fans still hated it. TLJ's problem is too many subplots and too many characters that don't add up to the whole but only bloat the running time. Nothing hurts a movie's WOM more than bad pacing and feeling that nothing ever happens. Whether this or that headcanon made it into canon or not is a non-issue with GA. But feeling the length of the movie and being unengaged during certain scenes are. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jordanstine said:

“WOM is not strong in this one.”

- Yoda from TLJ deleted scene

Deadline: 28.3

RTH: 25.5

Deadline: 27.1

Reality: 24.6

Rollercoaster Friday night. RO is definitely the template now. Many of us were thinking that a saga film would play like one, but it's clear now that TFA was an outlier of epic proportions. 

I agree that expectations had this higher in the possible DOM Avatar range, but #3 all time is still impressive. The next couple of weeks are still gonna produce great numbers for this

I don't understand the ire from some folks surrounding this film. I thought it was a good SW movie, not great. 

• Haha 1

Justice League got a massive drop in screen count so the 65% drop this Friday is expected. @EmpireCity had a really good point and it's gonna get worse from here on out. If this was a 400M dollar movie, which it should have been (that was always it's potential) it wouldn't have dropped so many screens so fast. 

Damn. Sad thing is that if WW wasn't well received and JL was even worse received this could have been even worse. Sub 600?

20 minutes ago, DARth DAR said:

People are certainly allowed to be disappointed with a film that's going to finish in the top 5 all time.  Myself I don't roll that way

Disappointed or not is all about expectation, and you know that top 5 of all time is a bit misleading, the main story line star wars adjust over 800m except for the SW2&3 prequels, all stars wars except for the worst (SW 2) were the biggest domestic movie of the year. It does put it in a different category, a bit like Canadian if their hockey team win the silver medal at hockey or the US dream team at basketball...

If he was really in the top 5 of all time (E.T./New Hope/Titanic/Force Awaken type of run) no one would be talking about any disappointment.

If a Star Wars movie do not reach a 3.15 multiplier with a December release (693m dbo), hard to imagine not being disappointed by this film legs:

In the history of big december openning that would be the worst multiplier in the top 25:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/month/?mo=12&p=.htm

Worst multiplier for a star wars movie ever by a good amount.

It should do more than that, but I am talking if it goes that low... (obviously if it does around 3 or below we are entering worst possible scenario type of talk)

Now the OW was so exceptionally good that the total will still be really good, even relative to the Force Awaken total, dropping 25% from an exceptional entry is still a good performance, something Jurassic World 2 would love to do, that Spectre would have love to do after Skyfall, etc... but because almost all that drop will be in the legs that could be worrisome.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1