grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

1 minute ago, bamajagala said:

Deadline: 28.3

RTH: 25.5

Deadline: 27.1

Reality: 24.6

Rollercoaster Friday night. RO is definitely the template now. Many of us were thinking that a saga film would play like one, but it's clear now that TFA was an outlier of epic proportions. 

I agree that expectations had this higher in the possible DOM Avatar range, but #3 all time is still impressive. The next couple of weeks are still gonna produce great numbers for this

I don't understand the ire from some folks surrounding this film. I thought it was a good SW movie, not great. 

#3? Lets see if it can beat a 20yr old filn in Titanic.

• Like 1

I don’t think WOM is bad, just divisive. Since sample size of movies of this size is still small it’s hard to tell if this multiplier is whats to be expected when movies just have an OK overall response or if it’s actually disastrous.

Also, it’s just one movie. I doubt the audience will be turned off after one, it’s not like that stopped people from Revenge of the Sith despite a fool me once, fool me twice scenario (I know there was a good hook)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:
TD YD Title (Click to View) Studio Daily Gross % +/- YD / LW Theaters / Avg Gross To-Date Day
1 1 Star Wars: The Last Jedi BV $24,680,000 +38% -76% 4,232 $5,832 $321,282,356 8
2 2 Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle Sony $12,500,000 +66% - 3,765 $3,320 $29,105,967 3
3 - Pitch Perfect 3 Uni. $10,618,000 - - 3,447 $3,080 $10,618,000 1
4 3 The Greatest Showman Fox $3,125,000 +46% - 3,006 $1,040 $7,723,731 3
5 4 Ferdinand Fox $2,760,000 +64% -24% 3,630 $760 $22,242,884 8
6 - Downsizing Par. $2,050,000 - - 2,668 $768 $2,050,000 1
7 5 Coco BV $1,854,000 +41% -18% 2,111 $878 $157,973,128 31
8 - Darkest Hour Focus $1,421,000 +993% +571% 806 $1,763 $4,274,077 31
9 - Father Figures WB $1,365,000 - - 2,902 $470 $1,365,000 1
10 - The Shape of Water FoxS $1,160,000 +444% +136% 726 $1,598 $5,725,665 22
11 6 Wonder LGF $1,100,000 +18% -25% 1,130 $973 $114,057,750 36
12 7 The Star Sony $460,000 -9% +19% 1,106 $416 $37,551,925 36
- 8 Justice League WB $370,000 +1% -65% 1,101 $336 $221,993,455 36
- 12 Daddy's Home 2 Par. $314,000 +16% -66% 1,073 $293 $98,589,556 43
- 10 Thor: Ragnarok BV $293,000 -14% -63% 701 $418 $308,583,758 50
- - Murder on the Orient Express (2017) Fox $175,000 -21% -74% 447 $391 $98,896,983 43
- - Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri FoxS $160,000 -10% -62% 307 $521 $22,375,619 43
- - The Post Fox $158,122 - - 9 $17,569 $158,122 1
- - Marshall ORF $7,726 +174% +61% 58 $133 $9,445,273 71
- - Hostiles ENTMP $7,000 - - 3 $2,333 $7,000 1

We need to talk about that wonder hold, losing 2000+ theater but still a 25% drop!!! Amazing!

Yeah, I keep forgetting to comment about it. Lionsgate is working their magic!

3 minutes ago, Sam said:

In other news, them openers did absolutely amazing.

The Greatest Showman, Downsizing and Father Figures made for a trifecta of stunning numbers.

The Greatest Showman could easily rebound after Christmas passes (it's definitely a film that will play well with families) and do alright in the end. Downsizing and Father Figures are definitely flops, though.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Yeah, I keep forgetting to comment about it. Lionsgate is working their magic!

Any chance for Lionsgate to rerelease the film in certain location? this film certainly has a lot of potential and gas in the tank, 2200+ drop in theater would too harsh and look at those newcomers, flopping everywhere......it's such a waste! 

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Pandering to fans isn't an answer either. PT did tons of fan service and super fans still hated it. TLJ's problem is too many subplots and too many characters that don't add up to the whole but only bloat the running time. Nothing hurts a movie's WOM more than bad pacing and feeling that nothing ever happens. Whether this or that headcanon made it into canon or not is a non-issue with GA. But feeling the length of the movie and being unengaged during certain scenes are. 

This is what I meant with "consistency with the last movie".  TFA established a simple but direct formula for the modern star wars movie, TLJ takes "big creative risks" with that.  Some of the risks may have been in the wrong direction, or too far in a bad direction.  And yes pacing problems, editing problems...

Not talking about putting in tons of fan service either.  If anything, superfans didn't like that and see through that anyway.  Quite possibly for a SW movie to be truly a good movie it would need to thread some needles just right.  Just saying TFA probably threaded those needles, on average, better.

Just now, Sam said:

In other news, them openers did absolutely amazing.

The Greatest Showman, Downsizing and Father Figures made for a trifecta of stunning numbers.

All 3 of them combined could not crack 7m on Friday.

(1.65+3.125+2.05 = 6.825)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, REC said:

This is what I meant with "consistency with the last movie".  TFA established a simple but direct formula for the modern star wars movie, TLJ takes "big creative risks" with that.  Some of the risks may have been in the wrong direction, or too far in a bad direction.  And yes pacing problems, editing problems...

Not talking about putting in tons of fan service either.  If anything, superfans didn't like that and see through that anyway.  Quite possibly for a SW movie to be truly a good movie it would need to thread some needles just right.  Just saying TFA probably threaded those needles, on average, better.

between you and me, I don't think that TLJ took that many creative risks either. It was more busy flipping every expectation on its head for the sake of flipping, but it was still modeled after familiar beats and tropes. Only with subversion of each. That's not nearly as creative and risky as critics made it out to be in their circle jerk. I liked the movie fine but critics really blew it out of proportion.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Han or no Han, second SW movie in a trilogy always drops hard. Including ESB that had lots of Han. TLJ is behaving like a typical second SW movie and IX will behave like a typical third SW movie. It's the most typical boxoffice run ever.

I agree this is not much of a Han or no Han for the most part (is absence was well known opening weekend...)

But how sequel movie play did change a lot from ESB time vs now, during the 70s early 80s, movie were mostly seen in theater, so the possible audience for the sequels were just among people that had seen the first one in theater, that by definition will always go down, from back to the future, Godfather 2, no matter how good the movie was. I think rules of thumb, if everything went right you lost around 30% of the business on sequels back in these days. And attack of the clones is I think universally seen has the worst entry of the series. Making in both case the comparable a bit of a low bar for Last Jedi.

Now Force Awake was on Netflix for a very long time and sequels can hold better because of this, that said Force Awaken was such a big hit that maybe it does not matter (completely saturated the possible audience for ticket buyers), that I was expecting it to play like those old sequels than the newer franchise that didn't drop (Potter-Lords of the Rings that was gaining new audience via the books/home video after the first movie entry). 

7 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I don’t think WOM is bad, just divisive. Since sample size of movies of this size is still small it’s hard to tell if this multiplier is whats to be expected when movies just have an OK overall response or if it’s actually disastrous.

Also, it’s just one movie. I doubt the audience will be turned off after one, it’s not like that stopped people from Revenge of the Sith despite a fool me once, fool me twice scenario (I know there was a good hook)

Yeah, don’t think WOM is bad either. But rather just decent, which won’t be enough to fuel the “you gotta go see this” response that TFA got (on top of losing the ‘first SW in 10 years, first SW with original cast in 30+ years’ factor) 

• Like 2

Post the OW, TLJs run has been a bit of a bummer for sure. I know it’ll pick up some next week but with that OW this thing should have cruised past 700m with little effort. I guess a large portion of the SW fandom wasn’t ready for the abrupt change that this movie goes in regarding some of the characters. I loved the movie but I understand the problems people are having with it. 

It’ll be interesting to see if J.J. brings Ep9 back more in line with TFA as far as the overall feel and tone of it. Bring that OT feel back to it while still moving forward with the story as set up by RJ in TLJ. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Any chance for Lionsgate to rerelease the film in certain location? this film certainly has a lot of potential and gas in the tank, 2200+ drop in theater would too harsh and look at those newcomers, flopping everywhere......it's such a waste! 

Probably not (unless it somehow gets a BP nomination which isn't likely)

I'm a care-about-the-top-ten-overall kinda guy, and my hope is that both The Shape of Water and Wonder are able to overtake Father Figures to get into the top ten.

It does seem like a waste to take that many theaters away from Wonder; just last weekend, it was number four on the chart. That was in its fifth weekend. I get that there's a bunch of new films trying to gain a foothold, but Wonder still had some steam left!

I'm also happy about how well Darkest Hour is doing. The film must've struck a chord with the audience that gave Victoria & Abdul a surprisingly good run. We'll have to see how well the film does against All the Money in the World!

And thankfully, The Star had a better Friday total than last week's Friday total, and is looking to have a better total than last weekend over the Christmas holiday- probably what it needs to double its budget.