grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

1 minute ago, Noctis said:

Potter's done with.

Her characters are completely different in the new series, aside from Dumbledore.

I mean that stupid play. I recall fans complained incessantly about that too cause Harry became a terrible father lol 

Edited by Rebeccas

Just now, Noctis said:

Potter is to Millennials what Star Wars is to Baby Boomers in terms of kids growing up with the films.

If we're talking about the UK, then sure. As far as DOM audiences go, Star Wars is to Millennials what Star Wars is to Baby Boomers in terms of kids growing up with the films. 

3 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

The blockbuster market these days is so crowded SW isn’t really that special anymore. I tbink a lot more kids are going to grow up watching Marvel and Harry Potter than these new SW movies even lol 

I somewhat agree with this. The thing with SW is that it has cross generational appeal. That is both a blessing and a curse. It can make obscene amounts of money, but it will always be hard to please everyone, even more so than in the case of ordinary blockbusters. For new fans it is not daring enough, for old fans it is too daring. It is really hard to find a middle ground. I am guessing we will see the same thing with the inevitable HP sequel/reboot. 

4 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Potter is to Millennials what Star Wars is to Baby Boomers in terms of kids growing up with the films.

As a millennial in North America the prequels were very very popular with people in my age group along with HP 

Um like it or not the prequels were huge deals domestically in North America.

They were not good but were insanely popular and well watched and still well know for reasons good or bad.

Edited by Lordmandeep

5 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

ESB is the Citizen Kane of popcorn movies but it’s not actually Citizen Kane.

That's because Citizen Kane sucks ass and Empire doesnt.

17 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

I mean I guess you can throw any number of nonsensical plot twists in any movie and create debate. That’s the easy part lol 

Nonsensical plot twist?

You'll have explain this further in the spoiler thread but I can already see the revisionism "TLJ played it safe, not really risky".

Look you guys won the bad WOM argument to a degree. But now you go too far saying TLJ didn't take risk.

The easy path is the path of least resistence which is crowd pleasing narratives and fullfilling popular fan theories 

Edited by grey ghost

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

Um like it or not the prequels were huge deals domestically in North America.

They were not good but were insanely popular and well watched and still well know for reasons good or bad.

TPM obliterates any Potter film in admissions. ROTS trumps any Potter film in admissions. The dreadful AOTC beats any Potter film in admissions except one. Most of all, the PT was huge with kids. 

6 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

I mean that stupid play. I recall fans complained incessantly about that too cause Harry became a terrible father lol 

I was invited to watch that play, and refused to go. It's hilarious how 99% of the Potter fanbase literally ignore it and act like it's never happened.

• Like 1

I generally think that a difficult part with the new generation and let's say the original trilogy is that those movies are very old.

Kids nowadays are used to some perfect visuals and a completely different design all in all. I can never convince my nephews to watch with me a movie that is pre-2000. They are like "that's reallly old.... did they even have colour back then?" 

Not that the OT movies are ugly-looking, they are amazing for their time .But well, for their time.

So yeah, I think that those new movies are easier to sell to the new generation. But hey, let's not kid ourselves Star Wars has a relatively old target group.

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

TPM obliterates any Potter film in admissions. ROTS trumps any Potter film in admissions. The dreadful AOTC beats any Potter film in admissions except one. Most of all, the PT was huge with kids. 

That says a lot about Americans and their trashy tastes, doesn't it?

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Those are US only numbers though right?

I am sure all Potter movies have done almost double the admissions of those movies OS.