grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

Those who believe that sequels nowadays drop because of sins of last film are living in the mid 2000s. WOM/Hype on the previous film has nothing to do with the next film.

General audience will watch a movie if there is something in the promotion that grabs them. That and good reviews. 

• Like 1

TLJ numbers are pretty disappointing for me, personally. I definitely hoped it would chug along more nicely than it has. Still, they made a movie I really love so I am willing to call this a flawless victory for Disney because they really should focus on just pleasing me. Good job Disney.

3 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Those who believe that sequels nowadays drop because of sins of last film are living in the mid 2000s. WOM/Hype on the previous film has nothing to do with the next film.

General audience will watch a movie if there is something in the promotion that grabs them. That and good reviews. 

All of this but especially bolded. Promotion turns fortunes around. Thor Ragnarok being the most recent example. Brilliant teaser (unlike TLJ's snoozy one) grabbed attention and marketing didn't let go since. It helps that they weren't overly protective of secrets so they allowed some money shots and big jokes into previews.

5 hours ago, JB33 said:

The goalposts keep being moved though. You would think the Friday jump would have been much higher than RO to make up for the worse drops during the week, not just equal it. When do we all start admitting the word of mouth on this is mixed?

No need to convince me buddy. All the actuals during the last 7 days kept coming in below the early estimates. Combine that with generally worse holds compared to RO last year and it's pretty clear there is a problem.

All time biggest 2nd Saturdays:

Star Wars: The Force Awakens $56,731,532

Marvel's The Avengers $42,905,519

Jurassic World $39,112,435

Beauty and the Beast (2017) $38,292,423

Avengers: Age of Ultron $33,835,656

Iron Man 3 $32,053,127

Captain America: Civil War $31,960,342

Spider-Man $30,505,929

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire $28,401,259

The Dark Knight $28,272,494

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

All of this but especially bolded. Promotion turns fortunes around. Thor Ragnarok being the most recent example. Brilliant teaser (unlike TLJ's snoozy one) grabbed attention and marketing didn't let go since. It helps that they weren't overly protective of secrets so they allowed some money shots and big jokes into previews.

UH, promotion is not an issue. Why do you think LJ opened to 220m? I've heard some say Last Jedi trailers were better than the movie 

Edited by John Marston
You k

4 minutes ago, ReyReyBattery said:

They didn't have to pay Harrison Ford this go around so that probably cut the costs down by, like, a few hundred million or something.

Yeah what is the budget? No reason they need to be scared to tell us since even if it is 250m or so it will be extremely profitable 

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

What bothers me is that E8 never needed to "play it safe" to deliver something that the fanbase and the GA could have gotten on board with on TFA levels, imo. All it needed to do was follow up and deliver on a lot of interesting plot points TFA set up. There would have been plenty of satisfactory ways to do that without playing it safe. 

Something that would most likely please everyone is the very definition of playing it safe.

Describe what most people would've liked if you don't believe me.

Edited by grey ghost