Porthos

Tuesday Numbers (Dec 26): TLJ 27.7, Jumanji: 17.1, PP3 7.4, TGS 5.1 (actuals/estimates)

6 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Wicked should be big in 2019, unless it's bad. 

Ready Player One probably would have suffered some slight box office if it had been released in December, since it's not exactly a film that appeals to families like say Jumanji does. Moving it to March was the smart thing to do. 

Wicked has huge potential and I'm glad Universal waited to get it right before making the movie. Not that Universal needed to rush it, the musical alone has done over $6.5bn in 14 years. Beauty and the Beast and La La Land proved the live action musical can make big money. I'm still waiting for the Miss Saigon movie that has been development for years as well as the Oliver! remake that Sony, Working Title and Cameron Mackintosh were developing

I think RPO moving was likely a mutual decision from Spielberg and Kathleen Kennedy since they've worked together in the past and Warner Bros to avoid Star Wars and to give ILM and Spielberg more time to work on the VFX, having the extra three months will make a huge difference to the final product,

Edited by Jonwo

6 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Most people predicted around 150m for Jumanji. The fact that it broke-out like it did, is doing potential NATM type numbers, and could go as high as 300m, is what surprised a lot of people. Plus it's a big hit for Sony. 

I get that, but and ?

My question is more why would anyone be please that a movie like this is succeeding....?

My theory is sympathy for Sony (at least that why I find it kind of nice).

6 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Clone Wars

Live action and not Christmas special then ;)

Just now, Jonwo said:

Wicked has huge potential and I'm glad Universal waited to get it right before making the movie. Not that Universal needed to rush it, the musical alone has done over $6.5bn in 14 years. Beauty and the Beast and La La Land proved the live action musical can make big money. I'm still waiting for the Miss Saigon movie that has been development for years as well as the Oliver! remake that Sony, Working Title and Cameron Mackintosh were developing

I think RPO moving was likely a mutual decision from Spielberg and Kathleen Kennedy since they've worked together and Warner Bros to avoid Star Wars and to give ILM and Spielberg more time to work on the VFX, having the extra three months will make a huge difference to the final product,

I'm sure all of those musicals will eventually get made. It's just a matter of funding.

As for RPO, they also probably didn't want two Spielberg films competing around the same time, and having the big Oscar contender in December / January made more sense. 

3 minutes ago, narniadis said:

@Barnack one slight gripe, you stated that TPM had the OW record at 64/65m but you forgot Lost World which had it in 97 @72m. Granted it did have the biggest 5 day at that point. 

Oh yes, that is misleading I wanted to say of just that year.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Looking at 2011, nobody would expect Rogue One to drop 22% on 3rd weekend. Point being these Star Wars movies are operating at a much higher level than the old films we are comparing. I am not convinced Last Jedi will stay flat on 3rd weekend. Maybe around 10% drop. 

probably a 35..40% drop.

3 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I'm sure all of those musicals will eventually get made. It's just a matter of funding.

As for RPO, they also probably didn't want two Spielberg films competing around the same time, and having the big Oscar contender in December / January made more sense. 

Miss Saigon is very cinematic as a piece of theatre and likely would be an award contender if they get it right. Oliver! I'm not too sure on because the 1968 film is a classic and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who could match Ron Moody as Fagin or Oliver Reed as Bill Sykes. I have read rumours that they want Adele as Nancy.

I believe Spielberg was planning to film The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara during his downtime while RPO was in post production but casting wasn't going well. The Post came together very quickly and essentially used the same crew who were going to do Edgardo. The last time they had two Spielberg films in the same month was 2011 with Tintin and War Horse 

Last year had 10 250m+ dom films. I think that's a record (if someone was keeping count of such a thing).

You would think that with IT and JUMANJI (likely) making the cut, 2017 will match that but of all films JL fell below. F8 also was expected to make it even if it reduced by close to 100m from F7. JL and F8 would have made it 11 above 250.

Just now, grim22 said:

Something I just realized - Bahubali 2 will end up being the highest grossing foreign language release of the year in Hollywood. Don’t think an Indian movie has done that before.

The fact it cracked the top 3 in less theaters is just impressive for any foreign movie

2 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Which is crazy when you think about it. Hard to imagine an OW under 150m topping a year now. 

Or the biggest OW of the year having over 6.7 multiplier legs like Phantom Menace.

The fact that no movie openned in more than 3,400 theater than factor inflation, Thursday being now part of the OW numbers and it look less crazy, but still...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Something I just realized - Bahubali 2 will end up being the highest grossing foreign language release of the year in Hollywood. Don’t think an Indian movie has done that before.

And by a giant amount, Dangal was the biggest of 2016 and P.K. of 2015 also I think, seem to be the norm now for Indian movie to achieve that.