grim22

New Year's Day Weekend Thread: Late Friday estimates (DHD) - TLJ 19.5M, Jumanji 17.5M, PP3 6.7M, TGS 5.3M

As to resurrecting old IP Sony has had opposite experiences with Jumanji and Ghostbusters. Wonder what they will do with MIB.

(A) Jump Street crossover

(B) All women-cast 

(C) Reboot with Dwayne and Hart

I can see all 3 working.

-Maybe it's too late for (A), but would love a JS23 movie nevertheless.

-If O8 works then Sony would be motivated to do (B).

-In the euphoria of Jumanj's success (and CI's some time back), (C) seems a mouth-watering option.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Porthos said:

As 'The Last Jedi' Tops $800M In Two Weeks, Is 'Star Wars' Doomed?

SHOTS FIRED!!!!

(From Scott Mendelson back at Rob Cain.  Maybe :P)

((Scott also has the following up today: The 'Last Jedi' Backlash Won't Hurt 'Star Wars Episode IX'))

(((Scott Mendelson, The Voice of Reason.  Will wonders never cease. :ohmygod:)))

Mendelson being reasonable and not click-baity? Now I've seen everything. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, a2knet said:

As to resurrecting old IP Sony has had opposite experiences with Jumanji and Ghostbusters. Wonder what they will do with MIB.

(B) All women-cast 

I can see all 3 working.

-In the euphoria of Jumanj's success (and CI's some time back), (C) seems a mouth-watering option.

They should bring back Stuart Little :ph34r:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, a2knet said:

(B) All women-cast 

I can see all 3 working.

They won’t go with an all female cast, too much of a bad experience with Ghostbusters, and we will invariably get the “Its Men in Black, not Women in black” comments 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

The little bit of snow we had earlier today has turned into pretty much a snowstorm.

Fuck Canada

No snow here right now during my visit to Montréal.  Of course it's also -5F, so I think it's more accurate to say that, one way or another, Canada fucks you.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

The little bit of snow we had earlier today has turned into pretty much a snowstorm.

Fuck Canada

Something similar happened this week and past week. Little snow pretty turned into a lot as the day progressed. No wonder Vermont is so close to the Canadian border. 

18 minutes ago, a2knet said:

(B) All women-cast 

I can see all 3 working.

It seems like the Ghostbusters reboot, didnt really bring anything new to the table and thats why it failed. Jurassic World had the park actually open and Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle let players into the game world. I dont think those crossovers will work; it seems like the concepts/novelties are what is attracting people rather than who are cast.  They need to come up with something new if they reboot MIB, perhaps the agents go to an alien world to solve a case, and they are the actual 'aliens' who are being hunted down? I dunno. 21 Jump Street doesn't gel with that franchise. 

Edited by babz06

Will TLJ beat Beauty and the Beast for biggest movie in calendar 2017? Or will it be destined to be forever second like TFA, 300k away from Jurassic World?

2015 DOMESTIC GROSSES

Calendar Grosses of Movies in Release Jan. 1–Dec. 31, 2015

#1–100 - #101–200 - #201–300 - #301–400 - #401–500 - #501–600 - #601–700 - #701–800 - #801–850
< Previous Year

Data as of:  or ( /  / 2015) 
Next Year >
Rank Movie Title (click to view) Studio
Gross / Theaters Total Gross / % of Total Open
1 Jurassic World Uni. $652,270,625 4,291 $652,270,625 100.0% 6/12/15
2 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV $651,967,269 4,134 $936,662,225 69.6% 12/18/15
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Fuck Canada

Speaking off. Last Wednesday I got bored and watched some Canadian TV shows, and watched this one that was pretty much a shitty rip off of American Dad but with an Italian Mafia family.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Maybe it’s an app this time.

I was actually thinking about that idea the other day, and I think it's the perfect way to bring a new hook.

Picture this:

The game becomes an app. It becomes super popular across the entire world, and it's bought by almost everyone. When the time is right, Jumanji sucks all of the people in the world into the game. Then it's up to the kids from the first movie to try and go back as their old characters and save the day.

The thing however is that each of the app users pick one of the game characters. Meaning there will be a lot of Rocks running around in Jumanji. Jumanji 2 made an ungodly amount of money with one Rock. Can you imagine hundreds, thousands, millions of different Rocks in one movie? $1B DOM guraranteed.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, lab276 said:

Will TLJ beat Beauty and the Beast for biggest movie in calendar 2017? Or will it be destined to be forever second like TFA, 300k away from Jurassic World?

2015 DOMESTIC GROSSES

Calendar Grosses of Movies in Release Jan. 1–Dec. 31, 2015

#1–100 - #101–200 - #201–300 - #301–400 - #401–500 - #501–600 - #601–700 - #701–800 - #801–850
< Previous Year

Data as of:  or ( /  / 2015) 
Next Year >
Rank Movie Title (click to view) Studio
Gross / Theaters Total Gross / % of Total Open
1 Jurassic World Uni. $652,270,625 4,291 $652,270,625 100.0% 6/12/15
2 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV $651,967,269 4,134 $936,662,225 69.6% 12/18/15

Only needs $40m for the 3-day weekend and it will probably make over $60m. 

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, bamajagala said:

Jumanji is doing great in evening shows, possibly 18-20 . TLJ should increase, maybe 21-22. Gonna be a close weekend. I'm normally wrong, but we'll see

SING's biggest day was Christmas Monday with 19.7m. JUMANJI's biggest day so far is also Monday at 19m, but this Sat will likely go over that. If it comes in at 17-18m on Friday, even 20m+ could happen for Sat.