the beast

Weekend Thread - Insidious 29.6M, Jumanji 37.2M, TLJ 23.7M, TGS 13.8M, PP3 10.3

26 minutes ago, Chad Stevens said:

So Star Wars: The Last Jedi, to some is the biggest blockbuster flop of the ages on this website, will finish (Drum Roll, Please…)

#5 All-time Domestic

and 

#8 WW

Not to bad for a 9th film is series. 

WAIT - cue the adjusted for inflation folks, because I don't want to have to read 20 pages about it.

#33 All-time All Time Adjusted for Ticket Price Inflation Domestic 

and somewhere around

#67 All-time All Time Adjusted for Ticket Price Inflation WW

Not sure about the overseas number, but its a good guess. 

Anyhow, far from the FLOP people love to make it here

Thanks for playing!!

More ammunition for you:

Episode IV = $460,998,007

Episode V = $290,475,067

So, Empire Strikes Back made 63.01% of A New Hope's domestic gross.

Episode VII = $936,662,225 x 63.01% = $590,190,860

If Episode VIII surpasses that number, and that films detractors say the drop from Episode VII was due to how terrible a film it is, does that mean Empire Strikes Back was terrible too?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Too low the 75 Jap/China. I think it can make 100M+ if not more in China alone.

On the other hand, if this week made 70 intl., considering still holidays in many countries due to the end of Christmas ... i don't see how it can make 140 in those said markets since tomorrow all will be back to normal and drops should be big. 

Not week, 70 over FSS alone (out of 86 markets it's playing in, was #1 in 50). I think adding 2x that in those markets shouldn't be a big deal, pretty standard.

Edited by a2knet

19 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

What a garbage website Collider is

Yea, there website sucks but the YouTube channel is separate and really good. At least I like it anyway. They do a lot of fun videos and daily shows on there. Plus they’ve got the movie trivia Schmoedown which is awesome and fun. 

3 minutes ago, The Shrike said:

More ammunition for you:

Episode V = $290,475,067

If Episode VIII surpasses that number, and that films detractors say the drop from Episode VII was due to how terrible a film it is, does that mean Empire Strikes Back was terrible too?

Thank you!

• Like 1

Lol at the difference of how much lower of an OW gross than TLJ of almost all the movies that beat its 4th weekend besides TFA:

Jurassic World - 12m

The Avengers - 13m

Beauty and the Beast - 46m

The Dark Knight - 62m

Spider-Man - 106m

Wonder Woman - 117m 

The Jungle Book - 117m

Zootopia - 145m

The Incredibles - 150m

The Phantom Menace - 155m

Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe - 155m

Monsters Inc - 158m

Titanic - 192m

:ohmygod:

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, DAJK said:

LMAO what the fuck collider. Gotta really nail in the fact that all you care about is marvel and Star Wars? :hahaha:

They have always been in Disney's pocket. Everyone knows this. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DAJK said:

LMAO what the fuck collider. Gotta really nail in the fact that all you care about is marvel and Star Wars? :hahaha:

Seriously, one website actually says something good about Marvel and The Last Jedi and you call them crap? Whataver, this is why I'm a reader, going back to reading comments. 

Edited by Chad Stevens

9 minutes ago, Chad Stevens said:

Seriously, one website actually says something good about Marvel and The Last Jedi and you call them crap? Whataver, this is why I'm a reader, going back to reading comments. 

Trust me, im very neutral on how different websites report on box office and movies, but Collider is just shit. They literally dont care about anything outside big franchises, mainly SW and the MCU. The YT channel is vastly better in comparison.

Just now, Brainbug said:

Trust me, im very neutral on how different websites report on box office and movies, but Collider is just shit. They literally dont care about anything outside big franchises, mainly SW and the MCU. The YT channel is vastly better in comparison.

Well, I personally know some of the great people that work at Collider. I'm not afraid to stand up for my fellow journalists. Good people's IMHO.

25 minutes ago, The Shrike said:

More ammunition for you:

Episode V = $290,475,067

Well the original grosses were 307 and 209 for a 68.07% retention. Which is exactly where TLJ will end up.

If you really want to get detailed Star Wars made about 220 before its first official reissue/reexpansion and ESB made about 181. Both around 14 months of release. That puts initial retention at about 82%.

Edited by cory
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Lol at the difference of how much lower of an OW gross than TLJ of almost all the movies that beat its 4th weekend besides TFA:

I think Jumanji's 4th weekend can also beat TLJ's 4th. Needs to fall 34.5% or better next weekend which is possible considering Sunday drop will be better than usual.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Jurassic World - 12m

The Avengers - 13m

Beauty and the Beast - 46m

The Dark Knight - 62m

Spider-Man - 106m

Wonder Woman - 117m 

The Jungle Book - 117m

Zootopia - 145m

The Incredibles - 150m

The Phantom Menace - 155m

Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe - 155m

Monsters Inc - 158m