Alli

Weekend Thread | 3-day estimates (per BOM): J 27M, TP 18.6M, TC 13.45M, I:TLK 12.14M, TGS 11.8M, TLJ 11.28M, P2 10.62M, PM 10M

3 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Just about to start it here now. Snagged it from Redbox earlier today. Glad to hear it gets your endorsement.

Just enjoy the violence and Vaughn.  This ain't the fat Vaughn, he's lean and mean.  

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

So I went to the cinema today and on the electronic board listing the show times it said "Star Wars: The Last".

What did they mean by this?

It obviously meant the last nail in the coffin of the idea of Avatar being the most popular franchise.

• Like 1

Since I got my MoviePass on September 19, I've used it...

(Checks history, even though I think there were some times it was skipping films.)

Wow.  36 times.  (I didn't realize it was that much.)  For comparison, in the whole of 2016, I probably went to the theater about 18 times, so about once every three weeks.

With MoviePass, I went four times in the past six days (Shape of Water, Greatest Showman, Wonder, I, Tonya).  (And I'm probably going to go 4 or 5 times over the next 7 -- a lot of movies I want to see.)  So it has definitely changed my viewing habits.  I'm much more likely to go watch something for free at the theater than even spend $2 at Redbox on a rental.

(FYI, I paid $70 for a full-year plan about two weeks ago, on January 4.  I've already bought about that half that amount in tickets on MoviePass' dime, and I'll be past it by the end of the next week.  So it's essentially 11-plus months of free movies after that.  I am not the type of customer MoviePass can survive on.)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

As usual always happy to get the early numbers but I bet most of them go up a bit. I see Jumanji going over $30M+ four day. Post should do $22M+ for the four day. I expect Jedi and Mary to gross just over/under $17M for the four day. Fully expect Paddington 2 over $20M+ for the four day as well. Looking forward to the updated numbers tomorrow morning.

Now, about to watch Brawl in Cell Block 99... What did folks here think of it? Does it live up to Bone Tomahawk? Even better? Will Dragged Across Concrete be the most brutal movie of the 21st century?

Brawl in Cell Block 99 is phenomenal.

Vince Vaughn scrapes a guy's face off on the floor.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deja23 said:

As someone who’s had MoviePass since September, I’ve used it only 8 times. Which is basically 4 more times than I would’ve gone to the movies without it. If most of the current subscribers are like me, I doubt it’d be enough to show significant increases in BO. I just don’t think people are using it as much as some assume. My best friend signed up after we saw TLJ and she’s used it exactly once to rewatch TLJ because we haven’t been able to find time to watch anything else. 

When I take my younger siblings to the movies now, I pay for their tickets and it works out to me because mine is essentially free so I’m still saving something. If I didn’t have MoviePass, I’d still take them to the movies they want to watch, I’d just be paying more for my tickets. Basically, if families don’t have MoviePass but want to watch a movie, they’ll watch it anyway. And if they do have MoviePass between the parents, they’re likely going to watch the movies anyway even if they have to pay for their kids using the same reasoning I used with my siblings.

Plus there are some drawbacks to using MoviePass in that they can’t be used for IMAX or 3D and tickets can’t be purchased in advance. 

I need suckers who use moviepass once in four months so moviepass is profitable despite people like me watching 8 movies in a single month.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

People wasting their subscriptions are exactly what MoviePass is banking on.

Except there's no real way to "waste" it now. Unless you either live in the boondocks where average ticket price is still $5 and you only see one movie that month, or you're going to see zero movies in a month you pay for, in which case you'd be a complete idiot to sign up. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Except there's no real way to "waste" it now. Unless you either live in the boondocks where average ticket price is still $5 and you only see one movie that month, or you're going to see zero movies in a month you pay for, in which case you'd be a complete idiot to sign up. 

Well, we're certainly at no loss for complete idiots in this country. MoviePass aside, forgotten subscription auto-renewals are a pretty lucrative revenue stream. Then of course there's the annual pass they're currently promoting.

• Like 4

Unfortunately Moviepass isn’t here yet.

However, the chain I normally go to accidentally left a discounted ticket option on my Cinebuzz membership for the first 5 months of last year. It was supposed to be just for 1 film. I used it about 20 times boosting last year over 50 films for the first time. 

• Like 1

That's true, auto-renewel does get a whole lot of people who might not want or use something renewed. Though I've never totally understood how you can be that careless with your budget unless you have a bazillion subscriptions to manage. 

At any rate, would be cool if MP used BOM's average ticket price to determine the monthly charge. So right now it would be $8.93. 

Edited by MovieMan89