Alli

Weekend Thread | 3-day estimates (per BOM): J 27M, TP 18.6M, TC 13.45M, I:TLK 12.14M, TGS 11.8M, TLJ 11.28M, P2 10.62M, PM 10M

7 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Just because you CAN go to the movies all the time with that Moviepass thing doesnt mean you WILL.

Maybe its a bit of a stretch, but in football (its not called soccer!) you can buy "Dauerkarten" as a fan, which roughly translates to tickets which ensure you a seat for every home game of a specific football team in one season (August to May). Now, that does mean that you could go to every single game, but the majority of people who buy these (very pricey) tickets dont do that - because doing that is a total time sinker and would make the experience less special. Furthermore, depending on where one lives, it can cost one nearly the whole day to go to the stadium.

Now, thats kind of an extreme example, but its similar to MoviePass i think - people who have that use it sometimes, but not all the time lol.

Yep. My best friend and I didn't buy ours last season because his stepdad and mother got them and we pretty much had every midweek game for free (cup championship and continental semifinals) and even several weekend games, and still turned down some because of the stadium being a tad far away.

• Like 1

As someone who’s had MoviePass since September, I’ve used it only 8 times. Which is basically 4 more times than I would’ve gone to the movies without it. If most of the current subscribers are like me, I doubt it’d be enough to show significant increases in BO. I just don’t think people are using it as much as some assume. My best friend signed up after we saw TLJ and she’s used it exactly once to rewatch TLJ because we haven’t been able to find time to watch anything else. 

When I take my younger siblings to the movies now, I pay for their tickets and it works out to me because mine is essentially free so I’m still saving something. If I didn’t have MoviePass, I’d still take them to the movies they want to watch, I’d just be paying more for my tickets. Basically, if families don’t have MoviePass but want to watch a movie, they’ll watch it anyway. And if they do have MoviePass between the parents, they’re likely going to watch the movies anyway even if they have to pay for their kids using the same reasoning I used with my siblings.

Plus there are some drawbacks to using MoviePass in that they can’t be used for IMAX or 3D and tickets can’t be purchased in advance. 

Updating the Audience Scores on RT...

The Post - 66%

Proudy Mary - 52% ( it was at 71% some hours ago and it keeps dropping )

The Commuter - 53% ( it started at 58% some hours ago, then dropped to 51% and now it's up to 53% )

Paddington 2 - 91%

Star Wars The Last Jedi - 49%  

Edited by Blaze Heatnix
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

The Post - 66%

The Commuter - 53% ( it started at 58% some hours ago, then dropped to 51% and now it's up to 53% )

TLJ isn’t a new movie opening this weekend though.... :thinking:

8 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

The Post - 66%

Please respect Paddington.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Guys...

I just came back from a party. I miss Potter so much </3

"Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and above all, all those who live without love." Heartbreaking </3 

Me too. :(

Time for reboot/remake! :D

Scanning evening/late matinee shows across Canada, Post seems to be extremely strong although it doesn't seem to be playing in as many locations as I would have thought, so I could still expect Jumanji to beat it this weekend.

Commuter nothing special really. Half full in big auditoriums, some smaller screens are close to selling out. Paddington is in the same boat pretty much. 

Since I’ve had MP I’ve seen BR2049, The Foreigner, Thor3, JL, TLJ and Jumanji. Those are all movies I would have seen anyway. The difference is that I saw TF twice; once by myself and a second time with my wife and son. I’ve also seen TLJ 5 times now which wouldn’t have happened without MP. And if not for MP my wife wouldn’t have seen The Mountains Between Us or TGS most likely. It’s allowed my son to see TLJ 3 out of the 5 times I’ve seen it. 

It does make a difference but there’s probably not quite enough of a user base yet to see it. 

Kids movies probably aren't going to benefit much from MoviePass unless they come out with a family pack subscription. Certainly the way it's set up now it's not even worth it to buy individual subscriptions for the whole family. Add to that that even with the hypothetical value of the pass there just aren't enough films that come out in a given year that the whole family can see.

Regarding Paddington, British films aimed at little kids clearly just don't catch on very well here. I imagine it takes a lot less convincing to get your average American 10-year-old to see Coco than Paddington or Shaun the Sheep; nevermind getting their parents interested. I really doubt a delayed release date and more aggressive promotional campaign would have made much of a difference.

Edited by tribefan695