Eric is Anxious

West Side Story | 10 DEC 2021 | RIP Stephen Sondheim | Comes to Disney+ March 2nd

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

There's no of course.  Musicals are a very specific and exacting genre.   He's previously whiffed on Fantasy (Hook), Romance (Always) and Comedy (1941)

All the film's you mentioned were pre-JP/Schindler's List (which changed him a lot as a filmmaker). And one of the few genres Spielberg's sensibilities (which is why it surprises me it took him so long to make one) work very well with is musicals. 

2 minutes ago, babz06 said:

I think House of Gucci’s opening is the bar to beat. But this has way bigger competition then that film. 

All this needs to do is open to about $15M (not impossible since it's the only wide release between now and Spider-Man) and it'll be good for throughout the holidays. The fact the runtime limits the number of shows per day means auditoriums are more likely to fill up than not.

37 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

There's no of course.  Musicals are a very specific and exacting genre.   He's previously whiffed on Fantasy (Hook), Romance (Always) and Comedy (1941)

1941 is amazingly staged, though. The musical sequence in it proved he could have the chops. West Side Story is an actual passion project that he's wanted to make his entire career

• Like 1

Been by far my most anticipated film of the year as I’ve dreamed of a Spielberg musical for decades. WSS being maybe the greatest of all, my anticipation was already at crazy levels.  Today i feel like I’m getting myself ready for a religious experience! Lol. 

10 days to go!!!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Why are Imax posters ALWAYS better than the regular ones?

Regular posters are made to be easy to decipher after only being quickly glanced upon from your car window. 

An IMAX poster will most likely only ever be seen online or inside the cinema so it's allowed to be more artsy fartsy. 

Edited by AJG

The premiere of the film today pretty much turned into a Sondheim tribute with a long speech by Speilberg.

I supect they are scrambeling to try to find some way of paying a final tribute to Sondheim in the film, Don't know if that is possible, though, given how little time there is.

Edited by dudalb