filmlover

90th Academy Awards nominations

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Conduct aside I don't mind maybe the greatest actor ever giving a good performance in a meh film making it over James Franco doing a mildly disappointing SNL sketch version of Tommy Wiseau. Oldman doing his Mike Myers thing is the real bad part of that category, and he's winning. Has anyone dropped a "Darkest Hour is pretty good but Oldman is bad in it" hot take yet? Because I'm doing it. 

Also, hell yea PTA and Jordan Peele. 

I hope you are referring to DDL otherwise THAT would be crazy 

I never bought Franco doing it, for whatever that's worth. Denzel had already showed up everywhere that mattered and the allegations broke the day before voting ended with apparently like 70 percent of the ballots already in. People like Denzel, guys. 

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Yep, a movie about bestiality will win best picture.  This makes sense and the academy can add it to their terrific list of other films about silent era of movies with speaking parts, a story about Shakespeare and falling in love with him, a horrible grade Z movie about a gay black man growing up in a violent world and so many other horrible best picture winners.

I'd love to see Get Out win it all.  

Original Script will decide the race since all movies with a shot at taking BP got in:

“The Big Sick,” Emily V. Gordon & Kumail Nanjiani
“Get Out,” Jordan Peele
“Lady Bird,” Greta Gerwig
“The Shape of Water,” Guillermo del Toro, Vanessa Taylor
“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri,” Martin McDonagh

This is excellent for TSOW, though, but whoever wins, watch out. Recept winners were all Script + BP combos. 

Just now, BardCrank said:

I hope you are referring to DDL otherwise THAT would be crazy 

Denzel Washington and Daniel Day Lewis both have terrific cases for GOAT male actor IMO. I'd put those guys with Stewart, Grant, and Nicholson as my top five. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, New Year New Panda said:

Yeah, I think the directing snub is big for TB unless it pulls an Argo.

If Greta or Peele pull a surprise DGA win then there’s a race

Peele winning DGA could make the race really interesting.

That being said, I think SOW wins best picture and best director at this point. 

Just now, Ithil said:

636251035316422991-XXX-2477-TP-00054R-88

No, I don't think that was the reason, unless Kaluuya is simply extremely tanned.

More likely Franco's recent allegations derailed him.

I don't think the Franco stuff hurt him that much considering how late the controversy landed (just two days before voting ended). I'm guessing they just didn't want to nominate a performance for playing Tommy Wiseau, of all people. Denzel is Denzel and his film is more "prestigious," despite being a flop.

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

Peele winning DGA could make the race really interesting.

That being said, I think SOW wins best picture and best director at this point. 

I think SOW is in the best spot rn, but I still could see TB, Get Out or Lady Bird taking it over it.  If SOW wins WGA and DGA it’s done though.

3 minutes ago, New Year New Panda said:

I think SOW is in the best spot rn, but I still could see TB, Get Out or Lady Bird taking it over it.  If SOW wins WGA and DGA it’s done though.

SOW got the most noms, so it would make sense that it could possibly would take home some of the the big categories. If it wins WGA and DGA it's practically a lock, but I could see Get Out doing well at WGA too.

Edited by Fancyarcher

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I don't think the Franco stuff hurt him that much considering how late the controversy landed (just two days before voting ended). I'm guessing they just didn't want to nominate a performance for playing Tommy Wiseau, of all people. Denzel is Denzel and his film is more "prestigious," despite being a flop.

This. Franco was dead for that reason. The joke wore thin after GG. OTOH, Denzel is a male Streep so...

So happy for Peele and Kaluuya. Hopefully the first of many Oscar noms for both. Would love to see Get Out win BP, however unlikely. Super happy for Nolan finally getting a BD nom. Haven't been following the race too much, but holy shit, I didn't realize SoW would be getting so many noms. Don't love the movie, but GDT deserves all the good coming his way. 

3 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I wonder if Nolan would rather be nominated for nothing and not have to show up than go through the motions at this point.

• Like 1