filmlover

90th Academy Awards nominations

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Yeah, SOW has this locked up IMO. We already know 3B is divisive, but missing a directing nom here will sure as fuck hurt it in preferential voting

Yep, a movie about bestiality will win best picture.  This makes sense and the academy can add it to their terrific list of other films about silent era of movies with speaking parts, a story about Shakespeare and falling in love with him, a horrible grade Z movie about a gay black man growing up in a violent world and so many other horrible best picture winners.

I'd love to see Get Out win it all.  

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I legit can't stop laughing over that Denzel nom. Even with the last minute Franco controversy, were they really that scared of another #OscarsSoWhite backlash that they had to nominate him for that turd?

wait what , Kaluuya is white ?

11 hours ago, New Year New Panda said:

Final Predicts

My predicts

Best Picture

8/9

Best Director

4/5

Best Actress

5/5

Actor

4/5 + Alt

Supporting Actress

4/5

Supporting Actor

4/5 + Alt

Original Screenplay

5/5

Adapted Screenplay

5/5

Cinematography

5/5

Editing

4/5

Animated Feature

3/5 + Alt

Foreign Feature

3/5 + Alt

Documentary Feature

2/5 + Alt

Production Design

5/5

Costume Design

3/5

Hair and Makeup Styling

2/5

Original Score

3/5

Original Song

4/5 + Alt

Sound Mixing

4/5 + Alt

Sound Editing

5/5

Visual Effects

3/5 + Alt

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I legit can't stop laughing over that Denzel nom. Even with the last minute Franco controversy, were they really that scared of another #OscarsSoWhite backlash that they had to nominate him for that turd?

Yes which is why I think that Franco was going to miss out even without the controversy. 

Just now, filmlover said:

Yeah, that Best Director miss for Three Billboards is big. I think The Shape of Water is gonna be the one that emerges the winner. It actually would make for a worthy one this year (female-led, no one really has any problems with it, etc.).

@baumer has a problemo with it :sparta:

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, 75Live said:

Who?

Whoever she is she was awful and made the show bad and ruined moments of some of these people's careers who may never get nominated again

lol i do feel bad for daniel kaluuya. straight up spent 5 minutes butchering his name.

Conduct aside I don't mind maybe the greatest actor ever giving a good performance in a meh film making it over James Franco doing a mildly disappointing SNL sketch version of Tommy Wiseau. Oldman doing his Mike Myers thing is the real bad part of that category, and he's winning. Has anyone dropped a "Darkest Hour is pretty good but Oldman is bad in it" hot take yet? Because I'm doing it. 

Also, hell yea PTA and Jordan Peele. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

I agree with you.  If you can't read names, why are you on the oscar nominations telecast?

Because she was a new name in a popular film. She flubbed the nominees so many times though, I questioned why they hired her in the first place. 

3 hours ago, MrPink said:

@baumer has a problemo with it :sparta:

I don't have a problem with Three Billboards.  I liked it well enough, and I understand why it's nominated.  I on the other hand, do get the love for SoW.  It baffles me that it's considered one of the best films of the year.  

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Conduct aside I don't mind maybe the greatest actor ever giving a good performance in a meh film making it over James Franco doing a mildly disappointing SNL sketch version of Tommy Wiseau. Oldman doing his Mike Myers thing is the real bad part of that category, and he's winning. Has anyone dropped a "Darkest Hour is pretty good but Oldman is bad in it" hot take yet? Because I'm doing it. 

Also, hell yea PTA and Jordan Peele. 

I'm not so sure about this after Phantom Thread's showing today.

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

636251035316422991-XXX-2477-TP-00054R-88

No, I don't think that was the reason, unless Kaluuya is simply extremely tanned.

More likely Franco's recent allegations derailed him.

Just now, baumer said:

I don't have a problem with Three Billboards.  I liked it well enough, and I understand why it's nominated.  I on the other hand, do get the love for SoW.  It baffles me that it's considered one of the best films of the year.  

Yes I was referring to Shape of Water.

• Like 1