filmlover

90th Academy Awards nominations

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Denzel Washington and Daniel Day Lewis both have terrific cases for GOAT male actor IMO. I'd put those guys with Stewart, Grant, and Nicholson as my top five. 

I love Hugh Grant too. Patrick Stewart is not that great though, he is good in Star trek but boring in the X Men. 

just my opinion.

Best Foreign Language Film:

“A Fantastic Woman” (Chile)
“The Insult” (Lebanon)
“Loveless” (Russia)
“On Body and Soul (Hungary)
“The Square” (Sweden)

It would be insane if there is a Hungarian winner 3 years in a row. :ohmygod:

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

surprised more people aren't hyping this up but Logan is the first comic book movie to get a writing nomination.

Yes, totally! It's just that the nom landed close to some big snubs in other categories so that stole the thunder. But yes, Logan nom is :bravo:

Just now, Jayhawk said:

I honestly wish the Academy nominated 10 movies each year instead of this floating thing. What's the matter with giving another movie or two a BP nom, especially if it increases the variety of films.

the 10th nominee probably would've been i tonya so nooooooo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

surprised more people aren't hyping this up but Logan is the first comic book movie to get a writing nomination.

Logan got nommed for adapted screenplay? That's neat. Really good movie, far better than 99% of superhero dreck.

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I don't think the Franco stuff hurt him that much considering how late the controversy landed (just two days before voting ended). I'm guessing they just didn't want to nominate a performance for playing Tommy Wiseau, of all people. Denzel is Denzel and his film is more "prestigious," despite being a flop.

I mean Blade Runner is a flop, if you mean box office wise. Critically, a number of the noms in various categories were not critically well received (looking at that Animated Feature category).

2 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Precisely Zero nominations for Wonder Woman 🤔 after all that pre season hype 😂

I suppose given the other nominations they weren't too obligated to compensate on the 'non white male' front.

Great for Logan though, I thought its release date alone would kill its chances.

2 minutes ago, Ithil said:

I mean Blade Runner is a flop, if you mean box office wise. Critically, a number of the noms in various categories were not critically well received (looking at that Animated Feature category).

Academy voters already are allergic to animated films so didn't work very hard to seek out the good indie stuff. And they apparently hate legos.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Academy voters already are allergic to animated films so didn't work very hard to seek out the good indie stuff. And they apparently hate legos.

Yes, they need to do something about the Animated Feature category, it's been a disaster for years.

• Like 2

I didn't think Three Billboards would be the film to break that streak of no double nominees in Supporting Actor... I remember when Call Me By Your Name and The Shape of Water were the ones everyone thought had a chance at doing that.

And I, Tonya got less nominations than I thought it would, and it missed Picture, too... box office may not be as strong as it could have been...

Darkest Hour is not a surprise to me. The Academy once chose Bridge of Spies over Carol and The Hateful Eight. In the same way, Phantom Thread is not a surprise either, because over those same films, they chose Brooklyn.

But I am extremely happy with the nominations this year; it's a pretty good list all around.

And I have to say, I'm ecstatic that all five of the nominees for Best Original Song are 'performable'; it's fun to see the songs be performed. Looks like we'll be seeing Mary J. Blige, Sufjan Stevens, Keala Settle, Andra Day w/ Common, and [whoever sings "Remember Me"] perform at the ceremony.

1 minute ago, Ithil said:

Yes, they need to do something about the Animated Feature category, it's been a disaster for years.

It should hopefully be a little better next year only because there's a lot more potential among the Anglo-American studio circuit

Edited by tribefan695

Just now, slambros said:

Darkest Hour is not a surprise to me. The Academy once chose Bridge of Spies over Carol and The Hateful Eight. In the same way, Phantom Thread is not a surprise either, because over those same films, they chose Brooklyn.

I'm... not sure those two films are really comparable beyond roughly similar period settings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

It should hopefully be a little better next year only because there's a lot more potential among the Anglo-American studio circuit

They should go back to just letting the branch nominate. And is the option of capping it at 3 gone?