filmlover

90th Academy Awards nominations

21 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Michael Stuhlbarg is great in everything but after seeing CMBYN it really surprised me he was ever really in the Oscar conversation for it. A very nice performance, but he's literally in the background the entire movie until that lovely monologue near the end.

I have yet to see the movie...It's just a chuckling trivia to star in 3 movies nominated for BP as a supporting actor and scoring none.

15 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Agree here, but honestly, I really enjoyed his performance in Shape of Water, even more so than Jenkins especially if there was a bit more time dedicated to his storyline.

For me, Stuhlbarg was the MVP. I mean I was more interested in his plight and dilemma than "Abe Sapiens in love" thread, the only one who straddles the odd tone of the movie without being ridiculous or cartoony. I like the guy but Jenkins was cringeworthy, Stuhlbarg deserved that slot more than him.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Also: The Post really did end up being this season's Selma, didn't it? Just two nominations, and 0% chance of winning either.

when it missed original screenplay, i almost though streep would left out too....but streep is still streep, no way they miss out her, and btw, florence foster jenkins got more nominations than the post 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

when it missed original screenplay, i almost though streep would left out too....but streep is still streep, no way they miss out her, and btw, florence foster jenkins got more nominations than the post 

Though Florence Foster Jenkins is a good, well made film in its own right... but I do agree that it's a surprise.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

I have yet to see the movie...It's just a chuckling trivia to star in 3 movies nominated for BP as a supporting actor and scoring none.

For me, Stuhlbarg was the MVP. I mean I was more interested in his plight and dilemma than "Abe Sapiens in love" thread, the only one who straddles the odd tone of the movie without being ridiculous or cartoony. I like the guy but Jenkins was cringeworthy, Stuhlbarg deserved that slot more than him.

I didn't think Jenkins was cringe-worthy but nothing particularly struck me as really noteworthy. It was a solid performance, but a bit confused as to why he consistently got support other than by association.

Same with Octavia Spencer to be honest. Lovely actress, perfectly watchable in Shape of Water, but I guess the field was weak enough where they just said "Fuck it"

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Is there really any doubt that Spencer's clip will be when she yells at her husband?

They'd probably have nothing else to show otherwise other than her saying "ELIZA!"

I hope they just use the scene where they discuss the anatomy of Abe Sapien for whatever.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Hong Chau in downsizing was snubbed, apparently no one cares, and if she got nominated, I wonder will they show the clip when she curse, "8 types fuck ,fuck, fuck......"

Roman J. Israel, Esq. filled the void for "no1curr flop that gets an above the line nomination."

I totally get the no love for The Disaster Artist.  I just feel the Franco Scandal was the nail in its coffin.  The movie plays way too much like inside baseball.  It features a sweet storyline about friendship within the soul crushing nature of LA; yet, that core is wrapped around the insanity and lore of The Room.  A lot of the comedy derives from knowledge of the source material.  The people in back of me were quoting The Room to the screen during our TDA showing.  I have a friend who said the exact same thing happened to him.  The (BRILLIANT) teaser trailer was literally just footage of them filming the iconic "Oh, Hi Mark" scene.  The Disaster Artist was an idiosyncratic gem that I doubt older Academy members would appreciate.

Edited by captainwondyful
typo :(
  • Like 4

Not many Surprises, and not really much to enrage me this year, of course I haven't seen but 5 of the BP nominees. 

Was really hoping Armie Hammer would get a nom for CMBYN, Michael Stuhlbarg too

Glade Logan got the Adapted Screenplay nom, feel like it should have gotten a couple more.

Was really hoping Ragnaork would squeeze in a Visual Effects nom. WW was completely left out.

Evermore probably should have gotten a best song nom, but Mystery of Love is the best and will hopefully win.

Am I the only person who thinks Phantom Thread looks like the most boring film in the world.

Really tired plot too. old guy falls for some girl way way younger them him, and he designs dresses..

Happy for: Octavia Spencer, Mary J Blige, Margot Robbie, Frances McDormand, Alison Janey, Greta Gerwig, Daniel Kaluuyah, Jason Blum, Sam Rockwell and Jordan Peele. 

Excited to see a horror film nominated for the big awards. Plus a female director and female cinematographer. 

Still to see Shape of Water (not out yet), I, Tonya (not our yet), Call Me By Your Name (Missed it) and Lady Bird (1 week to go).

Edited by Krissykins