Neo

Top Gun Maverick | May 27, 2022 | Catch it in theaters...again on December 2nd! | Comes to Paramount+ on December 22!

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Not with this 3 year delay, timing is dead.

I mean people have been waiting since 1986, I don't think six months is gonna make a difference. Most people don't pay attention to movie marketing until the last couple weeks except people like us.

• Like 1

I'm here to blow sunshine on this.  Paramount is the one studio that needs to make as much money as they can.  They are the only studio charging advances on their films, which is almost unheard of.  

Top Gun: Maverick isn't ideal for the market, but it is fine overall.  Memorial Day makes way more sense and there is more than enough to fill the schedule still in October and November.  

Jackass is insignificant.  

• Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I think this has more to do with avoiding the crowded Holiday season than Covid 

Nah, it has to do with this movie planning to draw 70% of its audience from 35+ and probably 40-50% from 50+...and having almost none of the 50+ showing up at theaters yet...

Edit to add: Yes, I made up those numbers, but this OBVIOUSLY skews to old Top Gun fans and Tom Cruise fans, both of whom are in the older age groups...and then they bring their kids/grandkids:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

Just now, Firepower said:

So May 27, 2022 comes in and then BOOM, Beta variant (or whatver) of Covid. Would they delay again? Geniuses.

Well WHO just make it official the Variant MU as a concern variant, this one can escape vaccines, they need to stud more but still, bad news if it spreads like Delta (which seems unlikely to be fair).

The most nonsense thing is to expect things to solve, it won't. There will be another worse variant eventually if things keeps going the way it is with antivax people. Studios have to accept box office won't be normal so soon like some want.

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I'm here to blow sunshine on this.  Paramount is the one studio that needs to make as much money as they can.  They are the only studio charging advances on their films, which is almost unheard of.  

Top Gun: Maverick isn't ideal for the market, but it is fine overall.  Memorial Day makes way more sense and there is more than enough to fill the schedule still in October and November.  

Jackass is insignificant.  

What does charging advance mean? Like theaters have to pay money to Paramount in order to play the movie?

12 minutes ago, Eric and the Ten Rings said:

What does charging advance mean? Like theaters have to pay money to Paramount in order to play the movie?

Correct.  They are charging a lot of theaters in advance on their last few releases.  They are cash poor and struggling.  

• Haha 1

IMO the fans and people who were positively surprised by the trailers waited so long, now they (we) can also wait till next summer. As already mentioned, this is definitely a summer film. The winter release date never fitted. I've no idea about its chances to open to 100M but I don't rule it out.
And at least where I live the nostalgia factor hasn't become smaller in recent years, rather the opposite. Maybe that's the case in other European/OS countries too.

Edited by el sid

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

Correct.  They are charging a lot of theaters in advance on their last few releases.  They are cash poor and struggling.  

LMAO THEY CHARGED THEATERS IN ADVANCE FOR SNAKE FUCKING EYES?

• Haha 4

Someone broke the embargo. There's a 2.5/5 review on letterboxd. If the movie is not good, this many delays could kill it.  

I think the delay is because the rest of the world is still in a bad place regarding the pandemic. Cases are starting to grow in Europe