Neo

Top Gun Maverick | May 27, 2022 | Catch it in theaters...again on December 2nd! | Comes to Paramount+ on December 22!

8 hours ago, HesAPooka said:

Now I am really considering if the positive buzz from Cannes will really propel TG2 from summer blockbuster to summer Oscar blockbuster.

Another round of jet fighter’s presence in the premiere. Wonder why still no reporter asks about if this is some sort of military strength display or supportive gesture amid Russia/Ukraine war. 

2 hours ago, ImNotRacistAtAll said:

If this touches the Oscars, it will only be technicals. Wven tho I think this will be better than most movies we will get in the BP borefest line-up this year and certainly from last season, the Academy just couldn't. 

Well, it owes Tom Cruise an Oscar, and he's not getting any younger...

50 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Only the Brave is such an emotional and heartbreaking film. A lot of it is carried by the material though, but Kosinski did a wonderful job of photographing it.

Not knowing the true story of that before watching it causes one hell of a gut punch. A massively underrated film, in the UK it barely had a week in cinemas…

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Finished watching all of Kosinski's films. Oblivion and Tron Legacy are pretty good, but Only the Brave is such an emotional and heartbreaking film. A lot of it is carried by the material though, but Kosinski did a wonderful job of photographing it.

The Teller/Kitsch bromance in that film genuinely made me cry. 

Here's a question - when's the last non-superhero movie that had this much buzz? Avatar? A Pixar movie? One of the Harry Potters? I might be missing something obvious.

I'm thinking this could approach a 200m opening weekend. Three day. 

• ...wtf 1

I think this is the rare opening where the range of what could happen could be historic.  We know at a minimum this is opening big, but how big is the question.  

Does $200m sound crazy?  Of course, but look where the buzz is heading on this just based off trailers and reviews.  Now imagine that WOM, true old fashioned WOM that brings an explosive gross that only huge old school blockbuster movie star driven popcorn movies can bring, kicks in by Friday morning.  

I think I said this on here after I watched the full movie, but I got that goosebumps hair standing up feeling from this that I have only gotten a few times in my movie going life when it comes to a blockbuster new release.  Back to the Future and the original Batman gave me that in the 80's.  Jurassic Park and Independence Day in the 90's.  Lord of the Rings and The Dark Knight in the 2000's and Avengers/Infinity War/Endgame in the 2010's.  

Stuff that just hit the mainstream and took off like crazy and gave you that magical feeling only seeing something in the dark on the big screen can give you.  Stuff that enters the cultural zeitgeist.  

I think we are about to witness that in a week.  

• Like 4