grim22

BOTs Top 25 Movies of 2017 | NOLANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Spoiler

Lady Bird

Lady_Bird_Poster_low_res.jpg?quality=80&

ZwjOTkv.png

Jarr3SF.png

Lady Bird was the most well reviewed movie in RT history before Paddington 2 beat it (with help from Cole Smithey). The movie was a well made coming of age story without much of a plot. It was an ode to Sacramento and that weird age when everyone is trying to figure out their lives. Almost everyone will relate to Lady Bird's rebellion and her eventual realization of what is important in life. Greta Gerwig makes a great impression as director and will definitely see bigger and better opportunities from this movie.

User Reviews:

A very different and sweet coming of age story, this is one of the best movies of the entire year. A

Good shit.

• Like 13

Just now, grim22 said:

Reveal hidden contents

nice

Just now, grim22 said:

Reveal hidden contents

I wish it was higher

• Like 1

Just now, grim22 said:

Reveal hidden contents

I'll admit I expected this to be in the Top 5. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Hide contents

The Big Sick

big_sick_ver3_xlg.jpg

eBMk2eX.png

dybnuOL.png

One of my favorite movies of 2017. The movie captured the immigrant family experience for South Asian immigrants really well. The love story was among the best seen on screen in 2017 and the supporting cast were all good in their roles. The 9/11 joke was the best of the year IMO

User Reviews:

Overlong like everything Judd Apatow touches but warm, funny and likable. Ray Romano and especially Holly Hunter steal the movie. 

A- @La Binoche

I saw this last month at a NYU hosted screening and I'm about to see it tonight with a Post Q&A with Kumail, Emily, and Zoe and I'm so excited because by far this is the best film I've seen this year.

Everybody loves a romance story but what if the romance was a true story written by the lovers that got together. The movie is the true love story of Kumail Nanjiani and Emily V. Gordan, written by Kumail and Emily, and starring Kumail and Zoe Kazan (who slightly looks like Emily) sooo…yeah! It is a love story nobody has ever heard before and honestly it may be one of best masterpieces this year has to offer.

Some people may joke, “Oh this is like Aziz Ansari’s Master of None but in feature-length form.” No, it is not it's something much more than that. We follow Kumail from beginning to end and because of this we learn this is a man who struggles to separate his family life by abiding by their Pakistani and his personal life because he knows if they ever collide, all hell will break loose. Aziz’s series shows his family approves of his life and the things that he does. Kumail’s family doesn’t. He spends the majority of the movie hiding his personal life from his family and his family life from his girlfriend. You know that both lives mean the world to him, because and doesn't want to lose anyone that he loves. Yes, this is somewhat a plot similar to The Namesake, but the due to its detailed writing and uncontrollably hysterical lines of dialogue is able to stand out as its own original story.

If you don’t know about Kumail Nanjiani or any of his works, this movie doesn’t only explain where he came from, but it also expresses who he is and how he lives his life. The way the movie plays out, not only do you get to know Nanjiani, but you get to relate to him. I know many people who went through the same struggle he went through and are still going through it to this day. There are elements of his life that so many people can see themselves in and you perfectly get the full dimensional version of Kumail, his family, Emily, and her family. You like every character introduced into this movie as we see where every person is coming from. You feel for everyone and the internal struggle they all go through. There’s a scene where the situation that Kumail goes through is so depressing, there are two sequences to where he breaks. The first time he breaks has you in tears, but the second time is played for laughs but surprisingly will also leave you in tears. It is a sequence that is heartbreaking and hysterical at the same time to which you will both laugh and cry. Not laugh until you cry, but have you simultaneously laugh and cry.

The Big Sick is a film that defines what screenwriting should be. Screenwriting should be about your voice and who you are as not just a writer but as also as a person. The film is directed by Michael Showalter and he does a great job transitioning this couple’s love story from page to screen as everyone gives nothing but great performances, but for all I know, this is Kumail’s movie and this is Emily’s movie. Movies like this are an inspiration for screenwriters to keep writing and expressing their story and expressing their voice.

The movie does fall into clichéd romantic tropes that you see from other films of this genre, but honestly this is the first time I saw where everyone’s action and decision is humanized, rationalized, and justified not for the sake of comedy or story but for character.

@rjones1325

I loved this movie to bits, for some reason it left me very vulnerable and trying to pretend I wasn't crying in the middle of a full 12-hour-long flight. Great stuff.

Spoiler

The Shape of Water

Shape-of-Water-cover.jpg

Tsj4QHh.png

aCnvpgu.png

From @The Shape of Pasta

In some of our favorite movies, they work not because they are technically or thematically perfect, but because we allow ourselves to fall under their spell of joy, love, magic, and hope. We become sucked in to this world and invested in these characters, even if their stories do seem familiar, because of the entrancing ways these stories unfold. The odd, joyous, and truly special SHAPE OF WATER is certainly one of those movies. One could make the case that we have seen this beauty and the beast style story before, but what makes the film so special is in the way that Del Toro contentualizes it for a new era. Our heroes have been marginalized by society in several ways, be it through disability, sexuality, race, and, well, being a fish person, and their symbolic fight for love and empathy against the terror of an oppressive ruler (who otherwise is cherished by society, seen essentially as the perfect image of a nuclear family father) rings as compelling and sincere now more than ever.

Every piece of this puzzle is incredibly made. Sally Hawkins delivers one of the greatest performances of our decade without saying a word, and the richly detailed compositions of this world create something not just aesthetically beautiful, but allow Del Toro to tell his story through visuals in addition to dialogue (not to knock on the charming and sharp script from Del Toro and Taylor). The film cumulates in feelings of joy and wonder that recall LA LA LAND, and the interlocked structure of design and themes in THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL. Is it a perfect movie? No, not really, but as a tribute to cinema, love, justice, and life itself, I find it would be incredibly difficult to resist the urge to dive right in.

User Reviews:

My favorite film of the year so far, and I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up staying that way. The visual attention to detail is a sight to behold on its own, as expected for a Guillermo del Toro film. However, the empathetic sensibilities that underpin it and the terrific efforts of the ensemble are what ultimately set it apart, making for a work that succeeds on multiple levels. My expectations were already high, but del Toro somehow managed to surpass them.

A

@GeneralKong

While it falls just a tad short of the haunting power of Pan’s Labyrinth, Guillermo Del Toro’s newest adult fairy tale is an incredibly beautiful, lyrical film whose unusual romance left my heart nearly melted. Del Toro capitalizes fully on a promising premise by exploring the humanity in a variety of outcasts and owning a style that makes the most of its Cold War era setting. This film takes the uncertainty and distant fear of the unknown that was prevalent in this period of American history (and arguably still in our own) and applies it to similarly feared and misunderstood characters with the ultimate message that compassion and understanding are more powerful than fear and violence. The acting and characterizations work across the board, led by an evocative silent performance from Sally Hawkins; her gestures and body language nimbly and completely convey her character’s initial isolation and gradual growth through her romance with Doug Jones’s creature. Michael Shannon sadly does not seem to be getting enough plaudits for another stellar performance in which he brings a sympathetic edge to a villainous character; seeing that his intentions are good within his own mental framework lends a layer of complexity to what could otherwise have been a simplistic villain. Character actor stalwarts Richard Jenkins and Michael Stuhlbarg are also dependable as ever as two very different social outsiders, and Octavia Spencer graces all her scenes with her characteristic warmth and spunk. All told, it’s easily Del Toro’s clearest display of his gifts as a spectacular visual director and storyteller since Pan’s Labyrinth, and among the strongest offerings of the year.

A-

@Webslinger

• Like 15

Just now, grim22 said:

Hide contents

The Shape of Water

Shape-of-Water-cover.jpg

Tsj4QHh.png

aCnvpgu.png

From @The Shape of Pasta

In some of our favorite movies, they work not because they are technically or thematically perfect, but because we allow ourselves to fall under their spell of joy, love, magic, and hope. We become sucked in to this world and invested in these characters, even if their stories do seem familiar, because of the entrancing ways these stories unfold. The odd, joyous, and truly special SHAPE OF WATER is certainly one of those movies. One could make the case that we have seen this beauty and the beast style story before, but what makes the film so special is in the way that Del Toro contentualizes it for a new era. Our heroes have been marginalized by society in several ways, be it through disability, sexuality, race, and, well, being a fish person, and their symbolic fight for love and empathy against the terror of an oppressive ruler (who otherwise is cherished by society, seen essentially as the perfect image of a nuclear family father) rings as compelling and sincere now more than ever.

Every piece of this puzzle is incredibly made. Sally Hawkins delivers one of the greatest performances of our decade without saying a word, and the richly detailed compositions of this world create something not just aesthetically beautiful, but allow Del Toro to tell his story through visuals in addition to dialogue (not to knock on the charming and sharp script from Del Toro and Taylor). The film cumulates in feelings of joy and wonder that recall LA LA LAND, and the interlocked structure of design and themes in THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL. Is it a perfect movie? No, not really, but as a tribute to cinema, love, justice, and life itself, I find it would be incredibly difficult to resist the urge to dive right in.

User Reviews:

My favorite film of the year so far, and I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up staying that way. The visual attention to detail is a sight to behold on its own, as expected for a Guillermo del Toro film. However, the empathetic sensibilities that underpin it and the terrific efforts of the ensemble are what ultimately set it apart, making for a work that succeeds on multiple levels. My expectations were already high, but del Toro somehow managed to surpass them.

A

@GeneralKong

While it falls just a tad short of the haunting power of Pan’s Labyrinth, Guillermo Del Toro’s newest adult fairy tale is an incredibly beautiful, lyrical film whose unusual romance left my heart nearly melted. Del Toro capitalizes fully on a promising premise by exploring the humanity in a variety of outcasts and owning a style that makes the most of its Cold War era setting. This film takes the uncertainty and distant fear of the unknown that was prevalent in this period of American history (and arguably still in our own) and applies it to similarly feared and misunderstood characters with the ultimate message that compassion and understanding are more powerful than fear and violence. The acting and characterizations work across the board, led by an evocative silent performance from Sally Hawkins; her gestures and body language nimbly and completely convey her character’s initial isolation and gradual growth through her romance with Doug Jones’s creature. Michael Shannon sadly does not seem to be getting enough plaudits for another stellar performance in which he brings a sympathetic edge to a villainous character; seeing that his intentions are good within his own mental framework lends a layer of complexity to what could otherwise have been a simplistic villain. Character actor stalwarts Richard Jenkins and Michael Stuhlbarg are also dependable as ever as two very different social outsiders, and Octavia Spencer graces all her scenes with her characteristic warmth and spunk. All told, it’s easily Del Toro’s clearest display of his gifts as a spectacular visual director and storyteller since Pan’s Labyrinth, and among the strongest offerings of the year.

A-

@Webslinger

That was my #1 of the year. Glad it made the top 10.

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

If mother! had made it this list at least wouldn't have been the most blah version of itself imaginable. 

At least a couple of great or overlooked movies that I thought had no chance of making it at all (namely, The Florida Project) actually did in the end.

• Like 1