That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

49 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Do they have holidays right now in america?

Monday is a Pesident's Day in the US and here in Canada, most of the country celebrates Family Day.  So most of NA is off work and school on Monday.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

I have nothing against the movie but can someone please explain how an all black cast is "diverse"?

Thor 2 was more racially diverse than black panther...

Diversity isn't just race based lol Black Panther also celebrates different cultures and ethnicity. Half the cast is from different parts of the world from Uganda, Nigeria, Trinidad and tobago and so on and well as the language of Xhosa and I believe M'baku spoke in the nigerian igbo language.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, gadd said:

Lupita Nyong'o is on a serious box-office winning streak at the moment. Since she won her Oscar in 2014 she's featured in 5 films; 4 of these had opening weekends above $100 million, 3 of which were different IP's (The Jungle Book, Star Wars and Black Panther).

Cmon now...

You can impress someone with zero knowledge of this stuff but on a box office forum..

Edited by XO21

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Well, duh.  Do you really think she would say anything otherwise?  Not saying her reaction isn't genuine, but, really, of course she likes it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gadd said:

10 years ago the big tentpole February release was Doug Liman's Jumper with Hayden Christensen.

Now, in the same month, we're about to witness a $190-200 million opening weekend for a Black Panther movie.

How far we've come...

It is so amazing how February has become transformed into a huge movie-going month within recent years. 2014 has Lego Move. 2015 has Fifty Shades of Grey and the Spongebob Square Pants Movie. 2016 has Deadpool. 2017 has Get Out and the Lego Batman Movie. Now 2018 has Black Panther, which very well might be the highest-grossing movie of the year, and Fifty Shades of Grey and Peter Rabbit both might gross $100,000,00. That is astounding. February and March becoming major movie-going months proves that studios are able to innovate when they want. There are just too many lazy people at high positions in studios, though. 

Edited by PenguinHyphy
  • Like 3

Theaters in Northern Virginia are basically already sold out for any decent seat the entire day.  Theaters that normally are smalltime have 20+ sold out Black Panther showings.  Today will be massive. Also, I think this is going to do 700M+.  Next Friday's seats are starting to get taken already...never seen anything like that.  Throw out the rulebook - I think that will be clear after weekdays put up numbers close to what you'd expect in summer

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Hopefully we won't see another.

Lets have big diverse non superhero movies instead.

I just want diversity in general.

3 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I hope Marvel (and I have huge faith they won't) rush out a sequel straight away to Black Panther. I say that with huge confidence that they won't purely because they will have so many up and running sub franchises on the go. I can see a Black Panther sequel being released in May 2021 the earliest. 3 years is plenty of time for appetite for another Black Panther film to hit fever pitch again while during that time Marvel does the Spidey, GOTG and Doctor Strange sequels.

Also time for Ryan Coogler to take a well deserved break.

He has been wanting to make Wrong Answer and a television series about counselors at a youth center for a while now. He will surely make Wrong Answer before the next Black Panther movie because he is passionate about that movie , and the movie will not require huge amounts of production time. I am not sure about the series, though. 

Edited by PenguinHyphy

5 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

MCU is basically on an 18 winning movie streak. Nothing can stop them.

I don't disagree but on the other hand there are a few debatable ones in there that a lot of people including myself felt should have been rotten.  Still,  I guess 15 out of 18 ain't bad.  

2 hours ago, Hades said:

Captain Marvel would have done 150 mill plus opening if Wonder Woman did not happen

Hell better question: how much more would WW have done on OW if it was a MCU release?

16 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

I don't care about Marvel movies, or superhero movies in general, but I gotta admit that it's pretty damn cool to have a movie with a black filmmaker, and an all black cast, do so well at the box office.

I guess that's a positive aspect of the whole thing. Still looks like a run of the mill Marvel movie, though, so don't get the brouhaha. For whatever reason people and (american) critics are really into them...

• Like 1