That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

Just now, gadd said:

I'm hardly attributing the success of TJB, TFA/TLJ and BP to Lupita Nyong'o, especially considering she barely features in 3 of them. I just thought it was an interesting piece of trivia heightened by the fact that those films are pretty much the only ones she's been after her Oscar win, therefore making her career trajectory even more strange.

And all the movies she's been in since winning (also including the little-seen Queen of Katwe) were released by The Mouse. I'm all here for her becoming a Disney Legend.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, gadd said:

I'm hardly attributing the success of TJB, TFA/TLJ and BP to Lupita Nyong'o, especially considering she barely features in 3 of them. I just thought it was an interesting piece of trivia heightened by the fact that those films are pretty much the only ones she's been after her Oscar win, making her career trajectory even more strange.

All she needs now is to be in an Animated Canon movie for that Disney-Brand EGOT.

3 minutes ago, gadd said:

I'm hardly attributing the success of TJB, TFA/TLJ and BP to Lupita Nyong'o, especially considering she barely features in 3 of them. I just thought it was an interesting piece of trivia heightened by the fact that those films are pretty much the only ones she's been after her Oscar win, making her career trajectory even more strange.

Actually her trajectory is good. She received acclaim for a Broadway show that Danai directed, gained experience with mo-cap and voice acting (SW, JB), is main hero's badass romantic interest in BP and starred in a feel-good drama. It's a very eclectic resume that will get her more work. Remember, she won the Oscar for her first movie ever and she has an accent. Building resume is the key here more than rushing to headline John Carter and Battleship if you know what I mean.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Actually her trajectory is good. She received acclaim for a Broadway show that Danai directed, gained experience with mo-cap and voice acting (SW, JB), is main hero's badass romantic interest in BP and starred in a feel-good drama. It's a very eclectic resume that will get her more work. Remember, she won the Oscar for her first movie ever and she has an accent. Building resume is the key here more than rushing to headline John Carter and Battleship if you know what I mean.

Oh it's certainly a good trajectory, she's definitely chosen her projects carefully and correctly. It's just that you would expect someone coming off the back of an Oscar win to have featured in many more movies in the years that followed and occasionally hit a few bumps. It's a testament to her decision-making that she's got herself into a position where she isn't over-exposed but has been in enough high-profile films to inevitably attract offers for exciting projects further down the line.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

LMAO, right? Forest Whitaker wants a word with @gadd cause surely he's the main reason why Rogue One, Arrival and Black Panther made their money. :hahaha:

33 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Forest Whitaker is like an inside joke with my friends 

Every time he is in a movie we always laugh at his overacting...

29 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

No wonder Hollywood wants that market even if they don't make much from it when all is said and done.

@Lordmandeep Ha,ha! Forest is a personality actor. You don't hire him to disappear into a character, you hire him to play Forest. Quite a few actors made a career out of one shtick and they are good at what they do - Woody Harleson, for example. You hire Woody to play Woody and he never disappoints. 

54d4083b598b7_-_tumblr_mcdo2guee21qedb29

• Like 5
  • Astonished 2

3 minutes ago, gadd said:

Oh it's certainly a good trajectory, she's definitely chosen her projects carefully and correctly. It's just that you would expect someone coming off the back of an Oscar win to have featured in many more movies in the years that followed and occasionally hit a few bumps. It's a testament to her decision-making that she's got herself into a position where she isn't over-exposed but has been in enough high-profile films to inevitably attract offers for exciting projects further down the line.

Her post Oscar career has been strange. This is probably her biggest role to date, hopefully after Black Panther she gets more leading roles. She’s gorgeous and talented and there is no reason why she shouldn’t have the same opportunities as Jennifer Lawrence, Emma Stone or Margot Robbie. 

• Like 1

http://deadline.com/2018/02/samson-thursday-night-preview-box-office-1202291093/

PureFlix’s Samson is even more ferocious than ever imagined. Late night estimates (not from PureFlix) indicate that Samson is headed to $284M over three-days after a super Saturday night of $148M-$150M which is 23800% from Friday.

Edited by damnitgeorge08
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Astonished 7

19 minutes ago, gadd said:

I know what you mean.

I am not going to sugarcoat it: had she been a blonde, blue-eyed goddess with "flawless" English, she would have been offered many other lead roles akin to what people like Jlaw get offered. The accent thing will also make her roles in Hollywood limited (same thing with Gal Gadot), not because having accented English is bad, but because Hollywood rarely greenlights/writes lead roles in major studio pictures for actors who don't speak "perfect" Standard American English (unless they are British....they don't mind British accents).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gadd said:

Exactly. Timing is everything. There are many actors who burned out by trying to become big stars too soon. Long range game is everything. Look at Forest and Angela, for example. Still working, relevant which is very important when you hit certain age and casting opportunities shrink.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Her post Oscar career has been strange. This is probably her biggest role to date, hopefully after Black Panther she gets more leading roles. She’s gorgeous and talented and there is no reason why she shouldn’t have the same opportunities as Jennifer Lawrence, Emma Stone or Margot Robbie. 

It's tougher for actors with foreign accents. For example, Marion Cotillard has never become a big star in US and the same is true of other French actresses. Bardem and Cruz (Spaniards) work a lot but have never become Cruise/Julia or anywhere close. It's easier for Australians (Margot) and Brits (anyone from Kaluuya to Keira) to fake American accent for some reason. But yes, if you look objectively, there hasn't been an accented Hollywood star since Arnie. Accent Actors can have long and prosper careers just not the super super star league (the wonder from Austria excluded).