Morieris

The Woman King | Viola Davis, John Boyega | Premiering at TIFF! | Sept. 16, 2022

3 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Also, the film apparently does tackle the subject of African kingdoms participating in the slave trade, so the controversy of slavers being glorified seems premature.

Spoke to a friend who saw it at TIFF. This is true. It's a  women good (anti-slavery) men bad (pro-slavery) movie. It isn't black vs white. The main villain is a rival African kingdom and its king that once enslaved Viola Davis character. Portugese slaveres only work for that kingdom and Dahomay's engagement in slave trade is mentioned too (Viola is against it while King sees it as necessity) but downplayed in comparison to rival kingdom's slavery practices since they are the villain here. Nevertheless, it isn't the assumed Europeans bad slavers, Africans good freedom fighters narrative. 

• Like 1

I swear the amount of discrimination I see daily and openly in my line of work is troubling and the worst part is people now say that "it's not racist, it's being against woke culture".

I overheard a convo between two workers during my lunch break today and they were discussing a film to watch for this upcoming weekend and they saw that The Woman King is getting rave reviews and dismissed it and said it's leftist propoganda at work. "The Woke Mob" at it again, paying for reviews for a movie that is gonna brainwash anyone who watches it.

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

I can see why it's getting awards chatter

Spoiler

Because it's exactly the kind of film film academies will nominate to seem inclusive because it's really very paint by numbers to be feel good. I wish a smaller studio has produced this, maybe they would have slanted more towards...being less of a typical crowd pleaser and something more ... idk.

Just watched it. My theater loved it. Super engaged and cheered at one point + clapped at the end. Also all the noise about them ignoring the impact of slavery is so completely unfounded lmao.  

Edited by ban1o

The Anti woke crowd are really pissed right now on YouTube. They are mad people saw this film.  Even bring up the IMDB and Metacritic score while interestingly ignoring RT verified score and Cinamascore and Letterbox score. Did they really think people would boycott a film?

• Like 1