Eric Prime

Weekend Box Office: Actuals (Page 55): BP $26.6M TR $23.7M ICOI $17.1M AWIT $16.3M LS $11.8M, PR crosses $100M, Jumanji crosses $400M

Never say anything is locked but I do feel IW heading for at least 200m OW.  A high chance of passing the last Jedi. Much lower but still possible of taking down the force awakens. Personally I am sitting at 220m - 230m ow. 

I never saw TR breaking out. Still it’s started ok if it hits around the low twenties. If it drops into the teens then mmmmm

as for BP. can’t say nothing that’s already said. Who’d think it would get anywhere near let alone be on track to be the #1 comic book film. Mind u if IW is as good as it could be then BP won’t hold that mantle for long. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Trolltastic Tele said:

I'll be my usual negative Nellie when it comes to Marvel OWs and say I don't think IW goes much past 210m. Which is nothing to sneeze at, that'd be amazing.

Need gif of Thanos bitch smacking Tele avatar.

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Lmao 8M is awful for TR.

When people say 8M for Friday do they mean 5.9M friday (+2.1M T and 5.9M F) or a true 8M Friday ?

A 5.9M friday would be on the low side relative to those previews 2.1 previews

Close recent Fridays

1.5m Previews - Atomic blonde: 5.6M, $1,694 average, for a 16.78 FFS with a friday making 3.73x time it's Thursday previews

1.8m Previews - Ghost in Shell: 5.86M, $1,703 average, for a 16.875 FFS with a friday making 3.25x time it's Thursday previews

Would be a $1,522 average for TR with a friday making only 2.8x time it's Thursday previews, sound way too low.

A 8M friday would be obviously great too ($10.1M "opening day", doing 3.8x time it's Thursday previews)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Some projected Friday numbers...

TR - $8M

BP - $7M+

AWiT - ??

Love Simon - $5M

ICOI - ?? (previews split into $1.1M Thurs/$200K early week screening)

EDIT: Missed the THR numbers posted earlier, so here they are again:)...https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tomb-raider-digs-up-2m-thursday-night-love-simon-earns-850k-weekend-box-office-1094853

I hope Love, Simon goes up. 

• Like 1

The most interesting aspect of the box office this weekend, apart from BP likely securing an amazing fifth weekend at #1, is the race for top PTA among the wide releases. ICOI seems like it will claim the wide release PTA crown this weekend given its paltry theater count but BP and maybe even LS will make things interesting.

28 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I think it's tracking kind of poorly there :hahaha: 

Its actually looking pretty healthy based on presales atm. It’s only about 15-20% behind Black Panther in PS and BP had great presales. Plus it is doing around 10% higher jumps in presales each day than BP so it is likely to have a final PS tally same or higher than BP. And if its rating is good enough then that could lead to a big OW and a great total in China

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Remember last week when the Hollywood Reporter and Deadline said that A Wrinkle in Time had done 14mil on friday? Yeah, I'm not jumping the gun on any of these numbers. I'm waiting and seeing.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

Yeah, how big Pacific Rim Retaliation will flop sans China ?

Place your bets.

Doesn't really matter... If it profits as a result of China, that's a win.

There's an interesting article from Mr Mendelsohn about the potential of PR2 - saying there's never before been a tentpole-budget sequel to a domestic flop before. If it turns a profit, it could lead the way for some interesting sequels being greenlit. For that reason alone I'm stanning for it... But also because I loved the first one. 

Really hope somewhere I can find a double bill. I only saw Pacific Rim on a fairly small screen the first time round.

So, anyone want to predict which movie actually won true Friday?  Is BP gonna take the top, is TR gonna do better than THR's number (which would be $5.9M true Friday), is ICOI still going bonkers in the heartland and gonna pull off a nutty number (since it never even got a true Friday predict:), does anyone else have a shot?:)  Should be interesting if we get a late night update:)...

5 minutes ago, commendable said:

What the fuck is going on with i can only imagine. do christians really turn out for these films all the time

Never underestimate grassroots word of mouth. It can light a film on fire with the snap of a finger.

18 minutes ago, commendable said:

What the fuck is going on with i can only imagine. do christians really turn out for these films all the time

No there is some noise in the genre:

https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/distributor/Pure-Flix-Entertainment

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=christian.htm&sort=date&order=DESC&p=.htm

https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/keywords/Faith-Based

Most do not reach theater or 3 million at the box office I would imagine a bit like small budget horror and a bit like small horror the success are so profitable for the budget that they make up for all the others.

But like small horror they are made a budget that you can just put them on video if they fail, they seem to mostly go on word of mouth marketing wise, PureFlix even have a Netflix type streaming membership service only for their faith based output.

Edited by Barnack