CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

Astonished. It’s happening. 

The holy grail of records is being broken today....

Let us take a moment to remember what a game changer TFA’s opening was. Changed the rules.

It’s taken two and a half years, and six infinity stones to take it down. Thanos is here. 

“Dread it. Run from it. Destiny still arrives”

#1 records in terms of Holy Grailness:  

Avatar WW 2.8B :ohmygod:   :ohmygod:

TFA DOM 935M  :ohmygod:  

TFA DOM OW 248M.  Was always going to be the first to fall, imo. Waited less than 2.5 years, but Avatar will wait for over a decade and TFA’s DOM total seems equally unassailable in the near future.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Astonished. It’s happening. 

The holy grail of records is being broken today....

Let us take a moment to remember what a game changer TFA’s opening was. Changed the rules.

It’s taken two and a half years, and six infinity stones to take it down. Thanos is here. 

“Dread it. Run from it. Destiny still arrives”

Yeah that's the real story here. I remember that weekend and "nothing will challenge this for at least the next decade" narrative with this film being specifically mentioned. And Part 1 was supposed to be the weaker entry, most were like "Part 2 won't even do it!". Well if this holds on, guess it did.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

I fully expect Disney to estimate the number at something like 246.9, given their pattern so far :lol:

Right now, with an 82M Sat ( :ohmygod: ):

REALISTIC SCENARIO

65.6 (-20%)

OPTIMISTIC SCENARIO

106.7 (industry estimate)

67.2 (Avengers drop, -18%)

PESSIMISTIC SCENARIO

61.5 (-25%)

27 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Wow, that could easily challenge TFA. Something that wasn't supposed to be possible. This seems like it has the momentum of JW.

What is JW

Seen that acronym a couple times now but no idea what it could be referring to.

25 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

There's also the pattern with SW trilogies that while the middle one dips the third one makes more though not as much as the first.

I do think though it was a mistake to kill off Luke, regardless of any character complaints or story issues, because they knew they sadly weren't going to have Carrie for the third movie. Kennedy tinkers with these movies so much that I don't understand why they didn't change that.

If Disney were really ballsy, or if Lucasfilm was, then they would not have needed to get the original cast back and remake the original trilogy with these dumb films. As it stands, they invalidate the original trilogy and not for any good reason. 

I'm not a SW fan, so couldn't care less, but I'm amazed that fanboys lap up what amounts to pandering and sacrilege at the same time. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Rthanos said:

From several hours ago over in Brazil OWe, Amazing

@Fullbuster be having 6 kittens

Sunday could crash and burn and it wouldn't matter, $r,$us, admits

OMG RTH you"re making my mouth water, I never saw you teasing a Brazil OW like that :o

I can't wait!!! :P

oaQYD.gif

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 3

This will be pushing 500M domestic by end of next weekend and I'll say again - TFA domestic total is not safe, and the number of people realizing that will increase as the weeks pass.  I'm not saying it's at all likely to pass it, but most people think it'd laughable right now - and that will change 

• Like 1

That Jurassic World weekend was nuts. The ceiling just kept on going up and up and up until the point where it seemed comically obvious that the not-a-record weekend estimate was several million dollars too low. And unlike even The Avengers - which had BOM on record predicting a record-breaking performance (though they were still way off) - no one saw that record coming heading into the weekend.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Rthanos said:

From several hours ago over in Brazil OWe, Amazing

@Fullbuster be having 6 kittens

Sunday could crash and burn and it wouldn't matter, $r,$us, admits

9 minutes ago, AndyLL said:

Interpreter-Needed.png

He’s saying that several hours ago, he posted the picture of the astronaut high above the world, and the accompanying caption, over in the Brazil thread. It implied that the Brazil Opening weekend record (OWe) would be amazing, and with 6 more hours of data that is looking even more true. Fullbuster having 6 kittens is another indication of how amazing the numbers are. Even if Sunday in Brazil was awful, it would still lead to an amazing weekend number there measured in local currency ($r), US dollars, and admissions.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Maybe just one year ;)

I think the only thing that could challenge or match it is Avengers 4. It's a huge year though.

Captain Marvel - No
Dumbo - No

Avengers 4 - Possible
Aladdin - Will do really good if the reviews are solid but not this high
Toy Story 4 - No
Spider-Man: Homecoming 2 - No
The Lion King - The next closest chance but don't see it going this high
IT: Chapter Two - No
Wonder Woman 2 - No
Terminator 6 - No
Frozen 2 - If the special in front of Coco was any indication - No. Should do well over the holidays though. 
Star Wars: Episode IX - Will still be huge but doubt the hype will be as high as Avengers 4