CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

5 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

On the fandango tracking site http://akvalley.pythonanywhere.com/static/Fandango_track.txt

2018-04-29 22:00:00	2701	Avengers Infinity War
2018-04-29 22:00:00	460	Avengers Infinity War 3D
2018-04-29 22:00:00	191	Avengers Infinity War The IMAX 2D Experience
2018-04-29 22:00:00	139	Avengers Infinity War An IMAX 3D Experience
2018-04-29 22:00:00	89	A Quiet Place
2018-04-29 22:00:00	69	Deadpool 2

Yesterday

2018-04-28 22:00:00	2579	Avengers Infinity War
2018-04-28 22:00:00	571	Avengers Infinity War 3D
2018-04-28 22:00:00	166	Avengers Infinity War The IMAX 2D Experience
2018-04-28 22:00:00	133	A Quiet Place
2018-04-28 22:00:00	123	Avengers Infinity War An IMAX 3D Experience

Still staying strong going into the late evening.

Now that's a lot more interesting than the earlier showtime. Great stuff. 

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I am most interested to see how all of this affects Deadpool 2 at this point. 

On one hand you could say that the huge popularity of Thanos as a villain will help the movie having Brolin as Cable.  

On the other hand, you could say with the potential that the movie will be very hard to replicate the success of the first movie and potentially poorly reviewd, having Brolin likely giving an inferior performance comparatively could lead people to avoid Deadpool 2 having watched something even better recently.  

Haven't really dug into it yet, but should be interesting to see what happens.  My initial thought is it will be somewhat weird for people and there will be slight fatigue and poorer reviews will lead to quite a decrease for Deadpool 2.  

Either way win-win for Brolin. 

Just now, Rebeccas said:

Are the "it's bad" rumors really true though? Too much back and forth on that issue lol can't keep up. 

I have no idea at this point, but there is smoke there.  

If it is only mediocre, the sheer force of Infinity War and also considering there is a Star Wars movie coming out the following week could lead to Deadpool 2 as the movie getting squeezed out.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

With that Thur $ the second w/e with just AOU jumps would be $148m...

148M would be like a 43% drop. Surely it can’t be that good lol.

I guess to make it more plausible, weekdays gotta be extra shitty haha.

4 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Unless Deadpool 2 is a dudpool I think it will open big. The trailers are getting good buzz and enough time will have passed since IW that people are willing to go to it. Solo I think is in the worse spot. 

This set up is reminding me of May 2007 A LOT. Broken Records, etc only difference is that AIW is being well received in comparison to Spidey 3 (although IW would hate to have that multiplier, that was bad by today's standards let alone 2007!)

Deadpool being like Shrek the "Turd" wouldn't surprise but still suck enough business to leave Solo with the Short end of the stick.

Edited by narniadis

2 hours ago, Rthanos said:

I currently had it 68-73 lets see bit later how its looking

If Sunday follows the trend it'll be on the high end :)

Fri early had 102 range 100-105, the upped it to top of the range 105m, current est 105.967

Sat  80 range 77-82 then 78-83 but kept number 80 see where it fell , later agreed with @EmpireCity 82 figure, current est 83m

So if the trend continues it'll be 73 LOL...or maybe it'll come undone and be at low end , lot factors in play see how evening goes. Either way the 61 is toast

Weekend had 220-260 range stuck with 240...so 260 might happen :)

I predicted 262.4mil so I hope it hits 73mil. 

3 minutes ago, Sam said:

148M would be like a 43% drop. Surely it can’t be that good lol.

I guess to make it more plausible, weekdays gotta be extra shitty haha.

With bigger weekdays it probably would have more burn off like The Avengers.  So the 130% Avengers jump and just a $136m w/e. :lol:

19 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Disney is going to throw in another couple $150m range openers in the next 6 weeks as well and a potential $80m+ opener a few weeks after that.  

How's Solo looking?

The Deadpool trailer got the biggest laugh out the audience all night, which is saying a lot since there are some really funny scenes. Even I was still laughing at a joke well into the following trailer. I'd be shocked if it didn't do at least 150M OW.

• Like 1

RTH's range of 68-71.5M for Sunday means a $257-260.5 million weekend. Incredible. I'm already thinking ahead to next year and the possibility that the Avengers series could break the all-time opening weekend record again... for the third time.  For now, obviously, it has managed it twice in terrific fashion - The Avengers being the first film to make over $200M opening weekend, and now Infinity War the first film to break $250M.

The Avengers series is making box office history as a franchise in itself, and it has me looking back at dominant franchises across the modern history of box office. If Avengers 4 breaks the record again next year, it will join other franchises that have also set the opening weekend record 3+ times:

Star Wars (has set the 3-day opening weekend record 3 times)
- Star Wars (1978 re-release) — 10.2 million (opening weekend record in a re-release! Obviously a different era of film, but still…)
- Return of the Jedi (1983) — 23.0 million (a 60% increase from the previous record holder, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - the largest percentage increase from the previous opening weekend record, looking back to 1975 at least)
- The Force Awakens (2015) — 248.0 million

Jurassic Park (has set the record 3 times)
- Jurassic Park (1993) — 47.0 million 
- The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997) — 72.1 million (a 36.6% increase from the previous record holder, Batman Forever)
- Jurassic World (2015) — 208.8 million 

Batman (has set the record 4 times)
- Batman (1989) — 40.5 million (an increase of 37.4% from the previous record holder, Ghostbusters II)
- Batman Returns (1992) — 45.7 million (this and Jaws II are the only films in modern box office history to beat a record held by its predecessor — Avengers 4 could be the third)
- Batman Forever (1995) — 52.8 million (first film to hit the 50M mark)
- The Dark Knight (2008) — 158.4 million

A couple things come to mind looking back. 

First, records are made to be broken, and franchises have a history of one upping each other on opening weekend. Superman II (1981) bested Star Trek’s (1979) record, followed by Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn (1982) wresting the opening weekend record back the following year. The year after, Return of the Jedi (1983) took the record with a whopping 60% increase.

In the 90s, Batman Returns (1992) set a new record (besting its predecessor), followed by Jurassic Park in ’93; Batman Forever taking it back in ’95; and then again The Lost World taking it back in ’97.

Star Trek, then, has taken the opening weekend record twice, as has Jaws (in the 70s) and Indiana Jones (in the 80s; Temple of Doom bested Return of the Jedi’s record and The Last Crusade later set a new record as well). The Spider-Man and Harry Potter franchises have each taken the record twice too. (Spider-Man may very well have set the record 3 times if Spider-Man 2 had not opened on a Wednesday.)

Second, comic book/superhero films (or the big names at least) have been making box office history for decades in one way or another. Comic book films have certainly proliferated considerably more recently, but it suggests these movies aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. 

Peace,
Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 19

12 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

With bigger weekdays it probably would have more burn off like The Avengers.  So the 130% Avengers jump and just a $136m w/e. :lol:

“Just $136M” 

No big deal.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, eXtacy said:

tenor.gif?itemid=3555036

Disney executives on the way home

Anyway what are peoples thoughts for this hitting 700m. Needs a 2.7x multiplier and just had Marvels best Sunday drop.

I think it all depends on what the total is by day 20 (day 21 is DP2 previews Thursday). I think it needs to be at $580 million by then to have a shot at $700 million. 

49 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

But what if we lose Logan and get an Cap or Avengers level X-men trilogy instead?

Possible. Makes me wonder if they’re keeping Wolverine in MCU X-Men movies for now or doing his own series simultaneously?

hell have fun and make him an Avenger (which has happened in the comics.)

6 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

tenor.gif?itemid=3555036

Disney executives on the way home

Anyway what are peoples thoughts for this hitting 700m. Needs a 2.7x multiplier and just had Marvels best Sunday drop.

I love you used a GIF from my favorite Miyazaki movie.

• Haha 1