CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

Just now, YLF said:

If you don't know the lore, then it comes off as a bunch of action set-pieces. Thats just my opinion and ours both obviously differ. Im not shitting on the movie as you can tell by the last two sentences in the post.

I'm not saying that you're shitting on the movie, but even disregarding that you need prep to fully grasp the plot, the movie is plot-heavy. It has 3-4 simultaneous plot threads. Plot advancement and action can be bode well if you know what you're doing.

• Like 2

Eh calling every blockbuster this year "soulless" and saying TLJ is a miracle in blockbuster film-making is a bit much. You think Disney and Lucasfilm allowed Rian Johnson to make TLJ what he wanted just out of the goodness out of their own hearts? No clearly they wanted the trilogy to be about the new characters Rey, Finn, Poe and Kylo and Johnson's story did just that so of course they allowed him to do what he wanted. 

At the same time assuming Marvel is a just a machine with no creativity behind it is wrong too. Otherwise why has no one replicated their success?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

You think Disney and Lucasfilm allowed Rian Johnson to make TLJ what he wanted just out of the goodness out of their own hearts?

I seriously doubt Kathleen let Rian do whatever he wanted. It's obvious that Rian is a front. If they wanted someone to do his own thing, they'd hire an experienced big name to do the films.

4 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Eh calling every blockbuster this year "soulless" and saying TLJ is a miracle in blockbuster film-making is a bit much. You think Disney and Lucasfilm allowed Rian Johnson to make TLJ what he wanted just out of the goodness out of their own hearts? No clearly they wanted the trilogy to be about the new characters Rey, Finn, Poe and Kylo and Johnson's story did just that so of course they allowed him to do what he wanted. 

At the same time assuming Marvel is a just a machine with no creativity behind it is wrong too. Otherwise why has no one replicated their success?

Pot calling the kettle black lol

20 minutes ago, Ithil said:

The idea that IW is "brainless" because it's action packed/comic booky is silly as hell, that screenplay is absurdly well written as far as actually pulling off 40+ characters and 10 years of history and making it all coherent and flowing well. There was a whole hell of a lot of planning and thought required just to make this film work, let alone work really well.

I'm not sure the planning stage matters when you call a film brainless. It's the end product they're talking about.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I don't think thats wrong, it seems pretty blatant that after like 16 films that are all the same only 1 stands out as being even slightly different. There is no creativity at all, that's exactly why they have been successful.

• Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

I'm not sure the planning stage matters when you call a film brainless. It's the end product they're talking about.

Agreed. 

Speaking of brainless, Avatar is as brainless as it gets. Quite probably the most vanilla blockbuster if we exclude the works of Michael Bay.

Also, speaking of directors being studio stans, remember when Jim shilled for T3 and Genisys?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

39 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Okay, I’ve got to level — the reason I find your posts a bit tiresome is not that Avatar isn’t impressive, it’s that Avatar is too impressive. Watching a bunch of movies do “incredibly well” Worldwide but not come remotely close to a record just sucks so much excitement out of things that it’s more interesting to think about records for “the box office minus Avatar” than “the box office.”    

If something, anything, I don’t even care if it’s Avatar 2, can come even within 300M I will be incredibly grateful for the proof that Avatar’s record is a real number and not some mirage, fabricated solely to fool people into believing that an impossible number might be possible. So, best of luck, I really hope it does happen, but could you possibly post about this less than 50 times a day? Everyone already knows that nothing holds a candle to Avatar WW, there’s not actually that much more to be said about it.

Read the last 30 minutes of post then try to understand I'm not spamming Avatar in this one.. people keep bringing it up 😂 I won't deny that my presence causes that but is that really my fault?

• Like 2