CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

15 minutes ago, Tree said:

I don't think thats wrong, it seems pretty blatant that after like 16 films that are all the same only 1 stands out as being even slightly different. There is no creativity at all, that's exactly why they have been successful.

I never have and never will understand this criticism. Yes there are going to be similarities (I mean they are the same genre) but to say for example Iron Man, The Winter Soldier, and Thor: Ragnarok are practically the same is crazy. 

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Read the last 30 minutes of post then try to understand I'm not spamming Avatar in this one.. people keep bringing it up 😂 I won't deny that my presence causes that but is that really my fault?

Alright, that’s fair. A bit of a vicious cycle where you have this reputation as the Avatar Guy, people will bring it up, you like it and naturally don’t just want to let it go without comment, reputation intensifies, etc.         

In the future I personally will just try to stear things back to whatever the thread topic is, and hopefully over time everyone else will do the same.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Logan and IW are from the exact same genre. TFA and Moonlight are not.

See, I don't think of superheromovies as a genre. Make it Titanic vs. Moonlight than. Same "genre" trying to accomplish totally different things, each does it in their own way.

Comparing a western with 3 main characters with an "epic event fight" with like 40 mainish characters just seems ridiculous to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

RT currently has Infinity War with 235.1M for the weekend. :hahaha:

I'm still sitting here hoping for the RT score to climb back up to 85%... every time it gets close it gets another rotten review.

Edited by Mekanos

26 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

I seriously doubt Kathleen let Rian do whatever he wanted. It's obvious that Rian is a front. If they wanted someone to do his own thing, they'd hire an experienced big name to do the films.

Johnson had three well-received films in different genres and with different budgets, plus several of the best-regarded, award-winning episodes of Breaking Bad under his belt before TLJ. He was arguably more experienced before making it than Nolan was before Batman Begins. 

And it's ridiculous to argue either that he had a complete carte blanche or that he was a "front". (What?) He had his ideas of what he wanted to do, and Lucasfilm liked them enough to sign off on them. 

• Like 12

1 minute ago, Mekanos said:

I'm still sitting here hoping for the RT score to climb back up to 85%... every time it gets close it gets another rotten review.

It doesn't matter at this point the GA loves it...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Johnson had three well-received films in different genres and with different budgets, plus several of the best-regarded, award-winning episodes of Breaking Bad under his belt before TLJ. He was arguably more experienced before making it than Nolan was before Batman Begins. 

And it's ridiculous to argue either that he had a complete carte blanche or that he was a "front". (What?) He had his ideas of what he wanted to do, and Lucasfilm liked them enough to sign off on them. 

Yeah, they had so much confidence in him before TLJ opened that they gave him a trilogy. That should show you how much Disney/Kathleen loved what he brought to the film and expected everyone else to as well. Unfortunately, that didnt pan out as planned for them.

I loved TLJ but it definitely had a lot of problems. It's very slow to start but the third act is some of my favorite stuff in Star Wars. I'm glad Rian got to do something different with the franchise, even if overall I preferred TFA. I think it was an admirable attempt and I hope there's no bad blood between him and LF for the film's performance (which I wouldn't call disappointing but nothing to get too excited about either as far as SW saga goes).

Edited by Mekanos
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

I loved TLJ but it definitely had a lot of problems. It's very slow to start but the third act is some of my favorite stuff in Star Wars. I'm glad Rian got to do something different with the franchise, even if overall I preferred TFA. I think it was an admirable attempt and I hope there's no bad blood between him and LF for the film's performance (which I wouldn't call disappointing but nothing to get too excited about either as far as SW saga goes).

You pretty much echo my feelings about the whole situation. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

I never have and never will understand this criticism. Yes there are going to be similarities (I mean they are the same genre) but to say for example Iron Man, The Winter Soldier, and Thor: Ragnarok are practically the same is crazy. 

Same genre? They're the same fucking film.. sorry but from my point of view they're pretty much all identical and interchangeable. I'm glad you have your own opinion but so do I, and I am not "crazy".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tree said:

Same genre? They're the same fucking film.. sorry but from my point of view they're pretty much all identical and interchangeable. I'm glad you have your own opinion but so do I, and I am not "crazy".

From my point of view, the Jedi are evil.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Tree said:

Well, in this case what you're saying is not a matter of opinion, it's objectively false. There are really strong differences between the movies mentioned. I can't even think of why would someone call them identical.

• Like 5

No one seems to be talking about it but how's it going to do today?

1 Black Panther BV $40,151,729 4,020 $9,988 2/19/18 4 $242.2 $688.0
2 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV $40,109,742 4,134 $9,702 12/21/15 4 $288.1 $936.7
3 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story BV $32,085,637 4,157 $7,718 12/26/16 11 $318.1 $532.2
4 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV $31,362,029 4,134 $7,586 12/28/15 11 $571.4 $936.7
5 Spider-Man 2 Sony $27,661,137 4,152 $6,662 7/05/04 6 $180.1 $373.6
6 Star Wars: The Last Jedi BV $27,459,557 4,232 $6,489 12/25/17 11 $395.6 $620.2
7 Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Par. $26,779,538 4,260 $6,286 5/26/08 5 $152.0 $317.1
8 Jurassic World Uni. $25,344,820 4,274 $5,930 6/15/15 4 $234.2 $652.3
9 Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End BV $25,069,370 4,362 $5,747 5/28/07 4 $153.0 $309.4
10 The Dark Knight WB $24,493,313 4,366 $5,610 7/21/08 4 $182.9 $533.3

top 10 mondays, TFA... yikes

where's calender man when you need him @narniadis

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1