CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

33 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Johnson had three well-received films in different genres and with different budgets, plus several of the best-regarded, award-winning episodes of Breaking Bad under his belt before TLJ. He was arguably more experienced before making it than Nolan was before Batman Begins. 

And it's ridiculous to argue either that he had a complete carte blanche or that he was a "front". (What?) He had his ideas of what he wanted to do, and Lucasfilm liked them enough to sign off on them. 

I don't call someone with 3 movies under his belt experienced. I call someone with 20+ years of proven success experienced.

Also, Trevorow's removal says a lot about Lucasfims' approach. The end product that is TLJ is just the confirmation of all that.

5 hours ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Only 80mil for Ant-Man and the Wasp? That seems kind of low given the post-Avengers bump... though I guess it does take place before IW....

$80-90m would be very good for Ant-Man, I think being a sequel and not connected to IW means the bump from the first film isn't going to be as high, 

1 hour ago, YLF said:

Im confused because he liked black panther. Infinity war is a brainless action flick... Im pretty sure thats the point. Theres barely a storyline & plot. He's right about that. But its better than most brainless action flicks is the thing. Its highly entertaining and somewhat unique in the genre.

Who is selling whatever this guy is on ? I'll buy a pound 

TA

$57m Sunday to $18.8m Monday (-67%)

AOU was -73.7%

JW was -55.7%

CA:CW was -68.7%

Let's be pessimistic and assume that this Sunday was $72m

and also give it JW drop because i'm also pessimistic.. that's $32m dollars!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

On a side note: I think what has prevented the MCU from truly becoming a GREAT series of films is an iconic villain. Not a good or great one (Loki, Ego, Hela or Vulture were all very solid), but an iconic one. I think Thanos fills that role. And that this could be one more reason why this movie blew up the way it did.

Hey Auntie!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BardCrank said:

Who is selling whatever this guy is on ? I'll buy a pound 

I don't really want to harp on about why I don't like MCU but calling people crazy for thinking it's a brainless action flick is really deluded.

I know it's had a monster weekend but they doesn't make the film something it's not, self-awareness is key bardcrank.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

TA

AOU was -73.7%

JW was -55.7%

JW was released in June tho..

22 minutes ago, ThiagoMaia said:

Well, in this case what you're saying is not a matter of opinion, it's objectively false. There are really strong differences between the movies mentioned. I can't even think of why would someone call them identical.

And I suppose it's "objectively true" that Marvel is the greatest film studio in existence and that Joe Russo is such a smart director and that Taika Waititi is, like, SO funny, and Robert Downey Jr is more charismatic than Sam Worthington. These are not opinions, these are facts...! Right

8 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

TA

AOU was -73.7%

JW was -55.7%

Thanks for looking up the stats, but I’m not sure that JW is the pessimistic % there ;)   

AoU’s drop off 72 would be a 19M, somewhat dissapointing. TA’s medium drop would be a nice 24M :)   

Edit: Oh, nevermind, figured the joke out XD 

Edited by Thanos Legion

The funny thing is TLJ fanboys get enraged if you say that the film drags because it's thin subplots don't work as well as they should. And no, the Canto Bight sequence doesn't work, deal with it. It doesn't matter that it's only 12 minutes, what matter is that it feels twice that long. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Thanks for looking up the stats, but I’m not sure that JW is the pessimistic % there ;)   

AoU’s drop off 72 would be a 19M, somewhat dissapointing. TA’s medium drop would be a nice 24M :)   

Edit: Oh, nevermind, figured the joke out XD 

In that case it's going to make around $26m because it seems to creep over everything.

12 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

I don't call someone with 3 movies under his belt experienced. I call someone with 20+ years of proven success experienced.

Also, Trevorow's removal says a lot about Lucasfims' approach. The end product that is TLJ is just the confirmation of all that.

So you just come up with arbitrary definitions of what constitutes "experience" and "success" and then make judgments about other people's decisions and motives based purely on them. Has it occurred to you that maybe Lucasfilm decided that the man who'd spent a decade writing and directing well-received film and TV was in fact experienced enough for them to trust with this job? And if they wanted a "front", again, why bother to hire Johnson and not some random anonymous guy who just made one Sundance movie that they could freely push around?

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The funny thing is TLJ fanboys get enraged if you say that the film drags because it's thin subplots don't work as well as they should. And no, the Canto Bight sequence doesn't work, deal with it. It doesn't matter that it's only 12 minutes, what matter is that it feels twice that long. 

Yes, it works, deal with it. It doesn't matter that it's only 12 minutes because I never even thought to check my watch during it. See, I can do this too.

• Like 9