CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

Like I said, by 2020, you ll remember the good ol' 2010's when you had plenty of movies that opened to over 200m$.

Force Awakens OW record will be beaten by inflation, nothing else.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

Just because other people got caught up and went ridiculous with their predictions (heck, more than half of them are not even predictions, it’s what they want to happen) doesn’t mean you should follow and lose your own perspectives on what is and what is not a disappointment.

I love the community here, and I can tell when y’all joking or just went nuts for the sake of it most of the time. But the times when people are actually serious about their ridiculous expectations, it’s just, sorry to say plainly, tiringly stupid.

Edited by Sam
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Lol at people trying to tell others that they need a “perspective check” just because they dared to dream a little bigger. There was a movie that had at least somewhat of a chance to break a big #1 record, and it didn’t. As someone following the box office for fun, that will never be anything but disappointing. Any kind of performance can be relatively disappointing if it gets very close to something and misses, no matter what the absolute numbers may be.

• Disbelief 1

Just now, tawasal said:

Everyone seems to be jumping from one train to the another/other (which one is it btw), depending on the weather of their train. 

"from one train to another" or "from one train to the other".  Both are acceptable, though they have very slightly different connotations.

(English can be a silly language at times. :))

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Why are some people trying to lecture the ones that are disappointed ? Hell, most of the people that are giving these lectures  convey a sense of relief about IW’s ow which won’t surpass their darling so really stop being such hypocrites and giving lessons about “perspective”. 

You sound angry and disappointed

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I hope you're not including me in this, as I was one of the louder voices calling for perspective during The Last Jedi's run.

If I can call for perspective during TLJ's run, I kinda think I'm entitled to do the same here. :)

It’s a general comment, we had dances of joy when IW official preview number was released so if reactions of ultimate joy are o.k then so are reactions of disappointment, that have been way more restrained than the people celebrating, mocking other members, and posting silly one liners.

• ...wtf 1

Just now, The Futurist said:

Like I said, by 2020, you ll remember the good ol' 2010's when you hade plenty of movies that opened to over 200m$.

Force Awakens OW record will be beaten by inflation, nothing else.

by 2020 you'll forget cinema in 2010's existed

(i think im allowed one of these as I went and watched the damn movie)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

"from one train to another" or "from one train to the other".  Both are acceptable, though they have very slightly different connotations.

(English can be a silly language at times. :))

Yeah I was wrestling with, which one to go with, that I ended up questioning my whole sentence and post. DAMN YOU english.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

You sound angry and disappointed

I am disappointed and it was my first post after the official preview number. Didn’t hide it, didn’t scream through the roof about it unlike most of the people having a party afterwards. I mean on top of that giving lessons about “perspective”....please....

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sliver Legion said:

Lol at people trying to tell others that they need a “perspective check” just because they dared to dream a little bigger. There was a movie that had at least somewhat of a chance to break a big #1 record, and it didn’t. As someone following the box office for fun, that will never be anything but disappointing. Any kind of performance can be relatively disappointing if it gets very close to something and misses, no matter what the absolute numbers may be.

Damn I just reached my quota for likes/reactions per day. :whosad:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I think the second part has a lot of expectations but I'm confident it'll be just as good if not better than IW.

They really had a great set-up for it, especially with how they ended IW. Avengers 4 can't come soon enough. I'm so looking forward to it. 

3 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

I am disappointed and it was my first post after the official preview number. Didn’t hide it, didn’t scream through the roof about it unlike most of the people having a party afterwards. I mean on top of that giving lessons about “perspective”....please....

Just remember to keep perspective, it’s a massive OW!

• Haha 1

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

They really had a great set-up for it, especially with how they ended IW. Avengers 4 can't come soon enough. I'm so looking forward to it. 

Thankfully we have two MCU films in the meanwhile to be palate cleansers and also build up A4. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

I think you're reading into things that aren't here.  I haven't seen much 'partying' over the fact that the OW hasn't been broken.  

4 minutes ago, Sam said:

Just because other people got caught up and went ridiculous with their predictions (heck, more than half of them are not even predictions, it’s what they want to happen) doesn’t mean you should follow and lose your own perspectives on what is and what is not a disappointment.

I love the community here, and I can tell when y’all joking or just went nuts for the sake of it most of the time. But the times when people are actually serious about their ridiculous expectations, it’s just, sorry to say plainly, tiringly stupid.

Yup. Reminds me of those that weren't impressed as hell when Last Jedi did $220M+ OW. Imagine if everyone expected $210M+ OW for Panther. Thankfully, that was a celebration rather people just shrugging. I could understand an Ultron like situation in which the sequel came not just under $200M but almost $20 short of it's predecessor. This case is a bit more off though.

• Like 1