CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

Just now, NoLegMan said:

TLJ all over again in this thread. -sigh

come on man TLJ underperformed while this just had expectations too high.

The Last Jedi UNDERPERFORMED... $700m less than the original just 2 years before it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Yup. Reminds me of those that weren't impressed as hell when Last Jedi did $220M+ OW. Imagine if everyone expected $210M+ OW for Panther. Thankfully, that was a celebration rather people just shrugging. I could understand an Ultron like situation in which the sequel came not just under $200M but almost $20 short of it's predecessor. This case is a bit more off though.

But that feeling of disappoint for BP, would have gone away after it's 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th.... weekends. From here on AIW will only show front-loaded legs, which are not that remarkable. 

Maybe part of the issue is people talking past each other by interpreting “disappointing” as “not great.” 225 is great. It is just also disappointing. These concepts are not mutually exclusive if you were hoping for “super great.” (Not that you need to be *expecting* super great for great to be dissapointing, mind you. Even if you were expecting 225 and hoping for 250, 225 could be both great and disappointing.)

Edited by Sliver Legion
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tawasal said:

What stage is the thread on? It seems like we are evolving pretty quickly. 

Everyone is on a different stage in the 5 stages so that’s why people are just yelling at each other now. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Just got back.

It's better the other two Avengers movies but still through and through a Marvel movie. Thanos was pretty cool.

I guess that leaves me as one of the few members remaining who has yet to see it and might still hate it. I have a 3:00 pm ticket on Saturday to see it in an AMC Dolby theater so I will chime in on Saturday evening with my thoughts. I have purposely been avoiding spoilers and reviews so I can judge it fairly. Hopefully it is not as bad as the first two Thor movies or Ultron.

2 minutes ago, tawasal said:

For how much? 

7 hours ago, Porthos said:

Right now Green and Gold are on sale for $5 for a month and $7 for a month respectively ($110 and $123 for a year) this weekend only

Silver accounts are $8 per month/$80 per year

Copper accounts are $5 per month/$50 per year.

Can do it for only one month if you want and just not renew the invoice for the next month.year when it comes due. :)

Various bennies for all the accounts can be found here: https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/store/

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

The Last Jedi UNDERPERFORMED... $700m less than the original just 2 years before it

Not arguing, but TFA was a unique circumstance, that is as far as I will go.

• Like 7

I can see this hitting $65 million tonight. I'm about to head out to see it again and I had to search 3 theaters to find a decent seat.

Also, here's a question. Why does it seem like $70 million is currently the "roof" for a full day? Ticket prices have increased about 15% since TA1 and screen count / show times for films like IW haven't decreased? How come IW can't do $80 million? For clarification I don't think it's going to, I can see like $72 million tops. Just curious WHY?

Just now, LonePirate said:

I guess that leaves me as one of the few members remaining who has yet to see it and might still hate it. I have a 3:00 pm ticket on Saturday to see it in an AMC Dolby theater so I will chime in on Saturday evening with my thoughts. I have purposely been avoiding spoilers and reviews so I can judge it fairly. Hopefully it is not as bad as the first two Thor movies or Ultron.

it's better than those but still an Avengers movie, it will be exactly how you expect with Thanos being the only fresh thing.

Just now, NoLegMan said:

Not arguing, but TFA was a unique circumstance, that is as far as I will go.

Two things can be equally true:

1) TLJ underperformed.

2) TLJ made a shit-ton of money.

Everything else is just talking points.  And mostly boring ones at that. :lol:

• Like 5

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

West coast is usually pretty strong for MCU. Let’s see if it can push closer to $105m. 

I don’t know, looks like West Coast wasn’t strong enough last night to get over that 40M mark :ph34r: 

Ok, I kid. Need about 103 for true Friday record. Hope it gets there.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Agreed. It lost so much of its worldwide audience compared to TFA , almost 800 million less. Since people talk about perspective then when taking everything into account TLJ is a disappointment, though you wouldn’t see me in a TLJ thread dancing about that fact like many do here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

wednesday post

another wednesday post

On 25/04/2018 at 10:25 PM, CoolioD1 said:

and then it'll finish at like 550 and people won't be happy about that. just another flop/disappointment that ends up becoming one of the ten highest grossing movies ever. weird how that keeps happening.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1