CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

1 minute ago, tawasal said:

First he would have to find a way down from his high horse. 

i'm sorry but he's always right and he's worth at least 50 of you because he gives me numbers hours early

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

*shrug* 

I'm quite happy to be a fan of a film that 'underperforms' and still clears 600m DOM easily.  That pretty much is my perspective on the whole thing. :)

People tend to forget that many projections of THE FORCE AWAKENS final gross were in the 500-600M area before it became the phenomenon that it was. Its really all about perspective. Next to that 936M run anything can look disappointing. But it shoundt be.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tawasal said:

Maybe what people should be disappointed with or worried about is the domestic total. Less than 600m with 235m OW, is just horrible in this case as all previous 200m openers have made it past 600m. 

I guess it comes down to expectations - Last Jedi probably wouldn't have hit 600m if it hadn't of been for Christmas.

I didn't expect anything higher than 550m at the most but again, that is looking at the Marvel Pattern (which is pretty dang established at this point) and just doing a trajectory. IW cannot help the natural frontloaded nature of being a sequel and until Jedi we hadn't had a 600m grosser have a sequel top 500m let alone 600m.... Also as was constantly said with both Jedi and Panther - we don't have enough data points yet in the 600m / 200m OW crowd.

11 minutes ago, narniadis said:

The bold part is the problem that some of us are having. There is ABSOLUTELY no disappointment in a 225m OW for Infinity War. Per normal, BOT on a large % got numbers drunk in the week leading up to the opening (spurred on by Deadline's bad behavior last night) and now can't reconcile the irrational expectation with reality. Those of us that have stuck down to earth and more grounded  (in actual realistic data not one of the God's overhype....) were mocked incessantly the past week.... 

225m is not a disappointment - no way, no how and besides it should pass that # anyway IF the current trends hold up.

It’s like you completely missed the point of my post. 225 is disspointing if you were expecting notably more. Many people were expecting more. Ergo, for many people, 225 is disappointing. How “rational” those expectations may have been plays no part in the simple truth that they weren’t met.    

It is completely possible both to know that your hopes were a lonshot that was unlikely and to have an emotional reaction of disappointment anyway. If someone was hoping to get accepted to Stanford, and they get rejected, are you going to tell them “oh, that was an irrational hope anyway considering their acceptance rate, this isn’t ‘actually’ a disspointment?”

Edited by Sliver Legion

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

i'm sorry but he's always right and he's worth at least 50 of you because he gives me numbers hours early

You two are a perfect for each other. I don't expect anything less. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Brainbug said:

People tend to forget that many projections of THE FORCE AWAKENS final gross were in the 500-600M area before it became the phenomenon that it was. Its really all about perspective. Next to that 936M run anything can look disappointing. But it shoundt be.

60 years of star wars franchise power channelled into one ham fisted marketing campaign, literally manufactured word of mouth.. very cynical.

Did I ever tell you my Last Jedi theory? The reason it actually underperformed was because the GA actually didn't enjoy TFA as much as the internet let on, no where near that amount in fact. They thought it was mediocre just like the rest of JJ's arsenal.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, tawasal said:

Maybe what people should be disappointed with or worried about is the domestic total. Less than 600m with 235m OW, is just horrible in this case as all previous 200m openers have made it past 600m. 

Meh. It's like DH2. Incredible DOM/OS/WW just frontloaded. The goal should be to comfortably pass Ultron's adjusted DOM total. With a $225M OW DOM Something around $550M give or take. DH2 adjusts to 195/440. Ultron adjusts to 204/491. Hell, even Pirates 2 adjust to just under 200 but also adjusts to just under 600. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tawasal said:

You two are a perfect for each other. I don't expect anything less. 

I do like him his posts are very enjoyable but that post you just responded to was a joke.

Edited by IronJimbo

1 minute ago, Sliver Legion said:

It’s like you completely missed the point of my post. 225 is disspointing if you were expecting notably more. Many people were expecting more. Ergo, for many people, 225 is disappointing. How “rational” those expectations may have been plays no part in the simple truth that they weren’t met.    

It is completeky possible both to know that your hopes were a lonshot that was unlikely and to have an emotional reaction of disappointment anyway. If someone was hoping to get accepted to Stanford, and they get rejected, are you going to tell them “oh, that was an irrational hope anyway considering their acceptance rate, this isn’t ‘actually’ a disspointment?”

Note my comment a page back or so. We aren't talking about the % of chance one has of getting into a particular college (it is a good example though). There is an emotional surge that creates a false dichotomy on this board as far as numbers go. I acknowledge that those who had unrealistic and unreachable expectations  (*cough* 275m/300m OW *cough*) are disappointed. However, their reactions would be akin to someone with a 2.0 GPA applying to the Ivy Leagues and then crying the world's unfair when they don't get selected. Those who hoped and tried to show how the OW could go down (but not much more) were definitely more grounded but it doesn't actually make the 225m disappointing, all it does is invalidate the emotions they put into their numbers and it is the invalidation that we as humans find distressing.

• Like 3

We are discussing different things lol, personal disappointment isn't the same as a box office disappointment. this is a thread about box office, sticking to reason seems like the best approach this is probably an oxymoron though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Meh. It's like DH2. Incredible DOM/OS/WW just frontloaded. The goal should be to comfortably pass Ultron's adjusted DOM total. With a $225M OW DOM Something around $550M give or take. DH2 adjusts to 195/440. Ultron adjusts to 204/491. Hell, even Pirates 2 adjust to just under 200 but also adjusts to just under 600. 

Yup,

and again the 200/600m+ grossers with the exception of TLJ have a unique quality to them that IW will never be able to replicate - it tries with the whole "bring the entire universe together" but at the same time it cannot win every battle...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, NoLegMan said:

We are discussing different things lol, personal disappointment isn't the same as a box office disappointment. this is a thread about box office, sticking to reason seems like the best approach this is probably an oxymoron though.

Truth :)

I got burned with logic though really bad with TLJ.... emotional reactions were definitely how that box office performance went down.... :hahaha:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Trolltastic Tele said:

Is this the bargaining phase?

Depends on which side of the coin we are asking for.... Does Tele give a shit or Does Tele want to watch the world burn...

Edit

@baumer this is why I don't drink.... one glass of wine and I am being saucy at people. LOL

Edited by narniadis
  • Haha 2

Just now, Brainbug said:

Yep:

In one very very VERY tiny respect, TFA doing 930m+ set a bad precedent in regards to people's expectations (including myself here, BTW).  

I think it has truly warped some of our expectations for the domestic market in ways even the one-two punch of Titanic and Avatar could not.  

Hopefully the runs of true phenomenons like Black Panther and uber-blockbusters like Infinity War (which we have next to no idea how leggy it will end up being I would add) will help remind us just how hard it really is to get to various goals on the box office chart.

• Like 2