CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

Just now, Mekanos said:

What I don't get is how a movie like this could have such insane walkup business. Wouldn't you kinda already know if you planned to see a movie that's a sequel to 18 other movies?

There are a number of factors for this.  The first is that theaters will add shows throughout the day, so you get more people that weren't able to buy seats who can now purchase them online or walk up at the theater.  

Many people plan on seeing a movie but don't know their schedule or friends or family schedule until the day of the show.  They get time and head over to the theater.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I am sticking by my original number and saying this hits right on $82m for the night.  Don't think it will fall quite 25% and comes in with a better number.  

The OW record is, in the words of Flo Rida...

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Mekanos said:

What I don't get is how a movie like this could have such insane walkup business. Wouldn't you kinda already know if you planned to see a movie that's a sequel to 18 other movies?

Idk how things are in your neck of the woods, but up here I don't know ANYONE who pre bought tickets...no one. When I got to the theater, 40 minutes before the show, there was a line of 30-40 people buying tickets, it sucked because we had to stand in the rain for like 20 minutes..small town theater. Maybe that's how it is in a lot of small towns, "hey, let's go by the theater 30 minutes early and get tickets for avengers so we can get a good seat" then wind up in line, it's been this way since pirates 2, or since I started paying attention to box office lol, no advance tickets, crazy lines..once in a while you'll see someone walk in front of all of us dummies...but not enough to where we would all catch on lol. All avengers, CW, BP. 99% walk ups here it seems. 

• Like 1

Just now, TalismanRing said:

For about a $253 w/e

(or $254 if Friday was $106.7m as Deadline just reported again)

Have to keep Ultron's depressed Sat in mind. Spillover will be a much bigger factor here, obvs

If true, I can't say I blame Disney for estimating Infinity War under Force Awakens. The prospect of saying "Hey, guess what? We underestimated and have the record now!" on Monday reads better than "Hey, guess what? We over-gunned it and fell just a little short of the record. Whoops."

But they're still going to have the weekend record no matter where Infinity War ends up, so...

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I am sticking by my original number and saying this hits right on $82m for the night.  Don't think it will fall quite 25% and comes in with a better number.  

Is there really much of a reason why it would even drop more than 20% tomorrow on the high end?

Edited by Jayhawk

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

The first is that theaters will add shows throughout the day, so you get more people that weren't able to buy seats who can now purchase them online or walk up at the theater.  

Plenty of our members have mentioned that their theaters have been dropping other movies and adding IW showtimes

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

MCU villains...

Killmonger

Bridges

Thanos

Red Skull

Kingsley

Ego

Redford

...no one else registers.

Winter Soldier, Vulture, Loki, Hela, and fuck what anyone says, I even have a soft spot for Yellowjacket.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Any chance for Ep IX to exceed 250M in the first three days?

Yes there’s a shot as it’s the finale for the saga. It will increase from TLJ, that much I’m fairly certain. As to whether it gets $250m we will have to gauge when we’re closer to that day. 

• Like 1

I don't think I had a set total prediction. I did predict over 600+mil with an outside chance of matching or slightly beating Black Panther. We'll have to wait and see the weekend actuals and the second and 3rd weekend to suss out how much it will make though.

Everything Star Wars built will fall! And from the ashes of The Last Jedi, we'll build a BETTER FRANCHISE!

:apocalypse:Wait wrong purple villain*

*lol, remember when people said Apocalypse would be a better villain cause he was make up and not CGI. How'd that work out?

Edited by eddyxx
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Alaska box said:

Idk how things are in your neck of the woods, but up here I don't know ANYONE who pre bought tickets...no one. When I got to the theater, 40 minutes before the show, there was a line of 30-40 people buying tickets, it sucked because we had to stand in the rain for like 20 minutes..small town theater. Maybe that's how it is in a lot of small towns, "hey, let's go by the theater 30 minutes early and get tickets for avengers so we can get a good seat" then wind up in line, it's been this way since pirates 2, or since I started paying attention to box office lol, no advance tickets, crazy lines..once in a while you'll see someone walk in front of all of us dummies...but not enough to where we would all catch on lol. All avengers, CW, BP. 99% walk ups here it seems. 

I live in the LA area (sorta) so that definitely colors my perception... but that's pretty crazy still. 

• Like 1