CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

1 minute ago, Nova said:

How did critics get it really wrong with IW when it has an 84% approval rating and scored a couple hundreds on metacritic? 

You know who got it really wrong? Me. I thought this would have a shot to break the Saturday record but not by $13M :dunce: Oh well I am happy to be wrong about this cause I was hoping it would break TFAs record :) 

I think they are complaining that its lower than BP and Thor3. I mean its a FAR better movie than those so I see their point, but its not like its rotten or anything.

3 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Yeah, people writing off Avatar is laughable. 

We had it for years as Disney built up to opening Pandora in Animal Kingdom. Over a year later and it’s still a phenomenon in Orlando. 

Knowing Cameron the sequels will show us something we’ve never seen before and audiences will come. He’s the king at pushing the boundaries. 

If cameron can strike twice with 2 original film, I don't see why creating a success with sequel is harder for him....

Potential is there....

2 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

I think they are complaining that its lower than BP and Thor3. I mean its a FAR better movie than those so I see their point, but its not like its rotten or anything.

That's your opinion though. I didn't think it was a far better movie than either Thor 3 or Black Panther. 

Regardless, to claim critics got it wrong is an inaccurate statement because it's not like critics gave it a rotten score or something. 

• Like 1

Just now, GirafficPark said:

I dont care how important a movie is, BP is over rated. It has at least a +8% on RT because of its 'diversity'. Its a rather average marvel movie in quality terms.

i agree but you're poking the hornets nest here

5 minutes ago, Damianport1 said:

No they didn't. Black Panther is better and also more important movie. It really something more than just superhero film. Infinity War outside of Thanos who is complex and interesting character, is really just another loud product

Yes they did. When everyone is glamouring a movie except critics then simply put they were out of touch. And no Black Panther is not a more important movie its a racist movie disguised as an important movie. These box office numbers tell me people find IW much mire important 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, somebody85 said:

As someone who is looking forward to 9, I don't see it increasing from TLJ. The big difference here is something Jay pointed out at RLM. A lot of people want to see where this goes. TLJ however felt like an ending. They are really going to need to do something special for 9 to get that type of audience back.

It will still do good but there's no doubt that, that film is divisive which is probably not what Disney wanted. I expect to see a lot of fan service in the trailers for 9.

Yeah, speaking for myself it'll be tough because the nostalgia factor for the old-heads is pretty much gone with Luke dead, Han dead, Leia doing nothing of importance in the last film and Carrie Fisher is gone so you know there isn't much they can do with her character beyond TLJ.  They really blew it there. I'm one of those guys that will go see a movie I love in theaters 4-5 times lol. I've already seen IW three times. I saw TLJ only once which has never happened for any Star Wars movie.  The new characters bore the shit out of me so I'm no longer even hyped for EP IX and I wouldn't be surprised if there are many that feel the same way I do.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

DBZ fights are basically the Neo vs Smith fight in Matrix Revolutions.

I don't see how a good live action DBZ movie can't be done.

I don't see how a bunch of shirtless huge buff men charging spirit bombs and firing laser beams at each other for half n hour can be good. Maybe another 10 years or Marvel introducing weird characters and Ill be convinced. 

tenor.gif?itemid=10838324

7 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

People complaining about critics and saying they "got it wrong" are beeing stupid. Critics are just people and their opinion about a movie is as subjective as ours.

True, it depends if you think critics are entirely honest or not though. It seems to me that BP and WW got a boost because some critics just didnt have the balls to challenge the diversity police.

Thor 3 was a comedy routine in movie form, and not always a funny one. It was too much to the point that it took me out of the MCU.

Edited by GirafficPark
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, AJ2k said:

Yeah, speaking for myself it'll be tough because the nostalgia factor for the old-heads is pretty much gone with Luke dead, Han dead, Leia doing nothing of importance in the last film and Carrie Fisher is gone so you know there isn't much they can do with her character beyond TLJ.  They really blew it there. I'm one of those guys that will go see a movie I love in theaters 4-5 times lol. I've already seen IW three times. I saw TLJ only once which has never happened for any Star Wars movie.  The new characters bore the shit out of me so I'm no longer even hyped for EP IX and I wouldn't be surprised if there are many that feel the same way I do.

The big issue for me is how uninteresting and devoid of any charisma the new actors in this sw trilogy are. Hell, I congratulate the franchise for having the power to get these bo results with such banal young stars. Benicio del toro seemed like Cary grant , in terms of charisma, compared to the young stars of new sw trilogy. Compare this to IW where everyone is oozing charisma , from the actors to the cgi creations. No wonder TLJ lost almost half of TFA worldwide box office.

Anyway since we are talking about future films I actually believe that cjohn’s 300 million ow wont be such a ridiculous thing for avengers 4.

• Like 2

A movie just straight up murder the Sat record and y’all here arguing the semantics of RT. 

Yikes. 

Simply incredible number. This movie performance is just rude now.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

I don't see how a bunch of shirtless huge buff men charging spirit bombs and firing laser beams at each other for half n hour can be good. Maybe another 10 years or Marvel introducing weird characters and Ill be convinced. 

tenor.gif?itemid=10838324

You pretty much just described my ideal movie.

Honestly I think Infinity War got as good of a critic score as possible for the type of film it is. Infinity War is exactly the type of film critics would normally not like and I think in the hands of any other studios the film would definitely have been rated Rotten and been a complete mess. I'm actually surprised the film has a rating of 7.5/10. Was expecting a lower one (which is probably why I'm still gushing over this film cause my expectations were actually fairly tempered). 

• Like 2