aabattery

Monday Numbers - A:IW 24.74M

8 minutes ago, YLF said:

Id rather A4 take it. I don't loathe AIW. I would just like BP to be top 3 DOM for at least a year. Its not that deep. AIW will be this years biggest performer WW most likely.

I didn't say that you loathe it, but that some BP fans think it's a negative if AIW overtakes BP at the domestic BO. Even if AIW succeeds in doing that, it won't be by a  huge margin and most important of all, BP's success is so massive that it already is a future classic and point of reference for years and even decades to come. Moreover, its sequels are assured as well as what I expect to be several attempts at rip-offs. 

700 is 700, whether the other member of the top 2 that same year does 750 or 650. Rankings can be fun to track as hobbyists, but the absolute number is waaaaay more important.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Shade or facts?

This thread might be the exception but what I said usually applies.

let's be honest though they ain't just a 10 year and 20 year old films, they're the two highest grossing films of all time

• Thanks 1

Infinity War is doing gangbusters. I have run out of superlatives. I think a 3+ multiplier is always within the realm of possibility, but right now I peg Infinity War at a 2.7-2.8 multiplier (which is terrific for a sequel with the largest opening weekend of all-time with no Christmas holiday period to boost legs). This gives it about ~$700-720M total, only the 4th film ever to hit the the 700M milestone (after Black Panther hits it too).

The Avengers hit a 3.0 multiplier opening during the same period (on May 4 2012, one weekend later in the calendar year), and like Infinity War, also had the largest opening weekend of all-time (at the time) and was very well received by both critics and the public. 

Infinity War currently has a 92% (4.6/5 rating) on RT and 9.0/10 on IMDB. In the same period after it's opening weekend, The Avengers had 96% (4.7/5 rating) on RT, and 8.8/10 on IMDB. Obviously this isn't the most reliable data, but it suggests both films were equally well received and making blockbuster numbers after they opened.

The Avengers' share of opening day from previews was 23.1%, whereas Infinity War (as we see with anticipated blockbuster sequels) has a larger share of opening day from previews with 36.7%. The Friday-to-Friday drop next weekend could be more naturally frontloaded than The Avengers - we often see this happen with films with large previews that make up a larger share of opening day.

For these reasons, I find it difficult right now to imagine Infinity War having as good legs as The Avengers. But, who knows - the beauty of the box office is that films get to come along and defy expectations. And it's Monday drop is so good. I'm ready to be wowed. :)

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 6

44 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Black Panther grossed over 1.3 billion worldwide. Like the ultimate finale to the most popular book series ever, Harry Potter... and more than a Star Wars episode.

I mean, jesus christ

It's nuts!

funny-gif-angry-girl-face.gif

China was still a baby, and 5 less hours.

Edited by Noctis
  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

In all seriousness, though, IW's run has stunned me every step of the way and its overseas numbers are the most impressive thing I've seen in a long time.

Love them or hate them, Marvel's beyond reproach.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

700 is 700, whether the other member of the top 2 that same year does 750 or 650. Rankings can be fun to track as hobbyists, but the absolute number is waaaaay more important.

Yea guys don't worry, Hollywood will crap out a couple cheapo Panther clones and then revert back to norm when they dont perform whether Panther is #1 or #2 :) 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

People who want less IronJimbo arguing in a thread are probably well served by not baiting IronJimbo.

FFFF that.

Fuck Jimbo, Pandora, Cameron, and Avatar. 

:hahaha:

33 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

let's be honest though they ain't just a 10 year and 20 year old films, they're the two highest grossing films of all time

unadjusted

5th and 15th otherwise

Spielberg has 4th 7th 17th 21st

lucas has 2nd 13th 16th 18th 21st

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

the only comparison for IW Monday number is Avengers 2012.  

because of such a low drop, a 25.3 Tuesday seems most logical, followed by 17.5 Wed + Thurs.  

Next Friday

35 - Friday

55 - Saturday

40 - Sunday

130 weekend.

Just to be safe, -50% from last weekend = 128.85.  471.5+ total

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

BP winning means a lot more for Hollywood though so I completely understand. IW winning would just mean the same thing it did in 2012. Although BP has surely done more than enough to turn heads and make studios question their traditions. It would just be an extra cherry on top it win the domestic year. 

Honest to God reading posts like this makes me think that I live in the sixties. Hollywood traditions went upside down in the seventies, nobody was waiting for BP. I mean there’s been a gazillion of films/tv shows with people of every race and color being the heroes, the stars. I mean I sort of understand a movie like bo touching some people more, I really do and I mentioned this in my mini review in this forum after I watched the film, it even touched me and I am white but statements about “studios questioning their traditions” in....2018 are simply wrong , I am sorry but that’s just the way it is.

3 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

You were right!!:hahaha:

:hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:   

So much for that good Blockers hold I was talking about.  Luckily I don’t think Panther will be corrected to 231.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1

The daily gross for Blockers was corrected in that tweet but the total gross is still inflated by $200K. Not that it really matters as it will be corrected tomorrow. Regardless, the film has already grossed almost twice what I thought it would. I am almost wondering if Universal is thinking about a sequel, although I have no idea how that would be possible.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Honest to God reading posts like this makes me think that I live in the sixties. Hollywood traditions went upside down in the seventies, nobody was waiting for BP. I mean there’s been a gazillion of films/tv shows with people of every race and color being the heroes, the stars. I mean I sort of understand a movie like bo touching some people more, I really do and I mentioned this in my mini review in this forum after I watched the film, it even touched me and I am white but statements about “studios questioning their traditions” in....2018 are simply wrong , I am sorry but that’s just the way it is.

Interesting post. 

The fact is, Black Panther doesn't have a comparable in terms of anything else Hollywood has ever put out in terms of faithfully executing a film that could (and did) appeal to not only the still woefully underserved minority audience, but general audiences of every creed from every walk of life.

I think you're misunderstanding Black Panther's impact beyond the fact that it was another incredible installment in Marvel's string of Phase 3 runaway successes. Besides being an excellent comic book film, it had an intriguing and multifaceted antagonist, a titular character who audiences were excited to learn more about, a locale steeped in African culture while at the same time celebrating Afrofuturism in a way its never before been depicted on screen and an important sociopolitical message tastefully weaved throughout in a way that perfectly complemented the other aspects of the film.

Comparing Black Panther to what has come before it, those films and television shows you mentioned that had minority leads as protagonists, is an insult to what Coogler and company put on the screen. Not because they weren't good or important but because they didn't come close to putting it together in as good a manner or with the quality Black Panther did.

To say "nobody" was waiting for Black Panther is insulting to those who have waited their entire lives to see a film like BP. I mean, the box office figures speak for themselves when it comes to Black Panther's place amongst Super Hero films even beyond the MCU but judging by the cultural zeitgeist is created (thanks due in large part to a massive amount of non-traditional movie goers feeling like they needed to see the film), I'm not sure your interpretation of what people were or were not waiting for is entirely grounded in reality.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3