aabattery

Monday Numbers - A:IW 24.74M

Insane Monday # for IW. I mean, what else can you say at this point. Internationally it is just straight up ridiculous too.

Great Monday for Black Panther as well. Chances at $700m are what, 80%?

Edited by svetlana99
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

let's be honest though they ain't just a 10 year and 20 year old films, they're the two highest grossing films of all time

Overseas they did really well.

We get it.

Do we need an hourly reminder?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Disbelief 1

26 minutes ago, Thematrixfilm said:

the only comparison for IW Monday number is Avengers 2012.  

because of such a low drop, a 25.3 Tuesday seems most logical, followed by 17.5 Wed + Thurs.  

Next Friday

35 - Friday

55 - Saturday

40 - Sunday

130 weekend.

Just to be safe, -50% from last weekend = 128.85.  471.5+ total

Really playing it safe since Avengers rose 130% on Friday. 

Now it was lower than CW (140%) and AOU & IM3 (155%+) most likely because of all those big weekdays.

AIWs are even bigger but then it's also been bettering Avengers % wise every day.   

So above or below 130%?  A puzzlement.

17 minutes ago, svetlana99 said:

Interesting post. 

The fact is, Black Panther doesn't have a comparable in terms of anything else Hollywood has ever put out in terms of faithfully executing a film that could (and did) appeal to not only the still woefully underserved minority audience, but general audiences of every creed from every walk of life.

I think you're misunderstanding Black Panther's impact beyond the fact that it was another incredible installment in Marvel's string of Phase 3 runaway successes. Besides being an excellent comic book film, it had an intriguing and multifaceted antagonist, a titular character who audiences were excited to learn more about, a locale steeped in African culture while at the same time celebrating Afrofuturism in a way its never before been depicted on screen and an important sociopolitical message tastefully weaved throughout in a way that perfectly complemented the other aspects of the film.

Comparing Black Panther to what has come before it, those films and television shows you mentioned that had minority leads as protagonists, is an insult to what Coogler and company put on the screen. Not because they weren't good or important but because they didn't come close to putting it together in as good a manner or with the quality Black Panther did.

To say "nobody" was waiting for Black Panther is insulting to those who have waited their entire lives to see a film like BP. I mean, the box office figures speak for themselves when it comes to Black Panther's place amongst Super Hero films even beyond the MCU but judging by the cultural zeitgeist is created (thanks due in large part to a massive amount of non-traditional movie goers feeling like they needed to see the film), I'm not sure your interpretation of what people were or were not waiting for is entirely grounded in reality.

I respectfully disagree. Wonder Woman , a mediocre film and not even in the same stratosphere with BP in terms of quality, had a big impact too and culturally and I found the reactions to WW quite bizzare (since we have had a gazillion films with strong female characters and much better ones than WW I might add). 

I  somewhat agree only with your second paragraph, where you write about the African culture and how BP makes great use of it . 

The rest of your post, I am sorry but our opinions are just different , just like Wonder Woman, I don’t think that BP bo success validates your opinion. I believe it’s mostly the dark times that we live in that help such movies earn more of a cultural aura than they would have , if we were in the nineties for example. Anyway that’s my two cents , we can’t agree on everything....

Edited by Thrylos 7

11 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Overseas they did really well.

We get it.

Do we need an hourly reminder?

I can't take it man. I hardly put anyone on ignore but I had to here. It's just too much and not worth seeing over and over and over again. It just gets insanely annoying and I'd rather not see it.

And there will be two years of these types of posts until that stupid film comes out.

I don't know who is worse, The Snyder fanboys or the Cameron fanboys and I love most of Camerons films. They are flat out delusional when it comes to Avatar 2 though when predicting out of this world OWs and grosses with nothing to go on.

It's like they are only here to start arguments.

• Like 5

Really glad someone took this opportunity to rail against the passionate positivity audiences have directed toward Black Panther and now Wonder Woman, was worried no one would. And with such strong talking points, like "they weren't that good" and "there have been other movies starring women and minorities"

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

28 minutes ago, svetlana99 said:

Interesting post. 

The fact is, Black Panther doesn't have a comparable in terms of anything else Hollywood has ever put out in terms of faithfully executing a film that could (and did) appeal to not only the still woefully underserved minority audience, but general audiences of every creed from every walk of life.

I think you're misunderstanding Black Panther's impact beyond the fact that it was another incredible installment in Marvel's string of Phase 3 runaway successes. Besides being an excellent comic book film, it had an intriguing and multifaceted antagonist, a titular character who audiences were excited to learn more about, a locale steeped in African culture while at the same time celebrating Afrofuturism in a way its never before been depicted on screen and an important sociopolitical message tastefully weaved throughout in a way that perfectly complemented the other aspects of the film.

Comparing Black Panther to what has come before it, those films and television shows you mentioned that had minority leads as protagonists, is an insult to what Coogler and company put on the screen. Not because they weren't good or important but because they didn't come close to putting it together in as good a manner or with the quality Black Panther did.

To say "nobody" was waiting for Black Panther is insulting to those who have waited their entire lives to see a film like BP. I mean, the box office figures speak for themselves when it comes to Black Panther's place amongst Super Hero films even beyond the MCU but judging by the cultural zeitgeist is created (thanks due in large part to a massive amount of non-traditional movie goers feeling like they needed to see the film), I'm not sure your interpretation of what people were or were not waiting for is entirely grounded in reality.

Fantastic Post!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I loved Wonder Woman but its success and impact got dwarfed by Black Panther big time. It's not just that Black Panther had a black protagonist, but an all-black cast set in Africa with themes of racism and colonialism. Wonder Woman was mostly a straightforward superhero movie starring a woman. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

I respectfully disagree. Wonder Woman , a mediocre film and not even in the same stratosphere with BP in terms of quality, had a big impact too and culturally and I found the reactions to WW quite bizzare (since we have had a gazillion films with strong female characters and much better ones than WW I might add). 

I  somewhat agree only with your second paragraph, where you write about the African culture and how BP makes great use of it . 

The rest of your post, I am sorry but our opinions are just different , just like Wonder Woman, I don’t think that BP bo success validates your opinion. I believe it’s mostly the dark times that we live in that help such movies earn more of a cultural aura than they would have , if we were in the nineties for example. Anyway that’s my two cents , we can’t agree on everything....

"More of a cultural aura than they would have" seems absolutely ridiculous when BP touches on what is arguably some of the most enduring and important cultural conversations we've been having in America over the past couple hundred years in a popular genre movie. You think this wouldn't have happened in the 90s? Have you completely forgotten the 70s? 

Edited by MAKKALUL
  • Like 2

One of the best gauges of a film's cultural impact is when media outlets that don't normally write or comment about movies suddenly publish or post articles or special commentaries about a film. For media operations that commonly discuss or write about movies, if they start publishing pieces about a film that are not considered reviews or box office assessments or movie star puff pieces, then that's another sign a movie is achieving a level of cultural impact beyond simply being a movie.

There were dozens and dozens of such items published related to Black Panther. Fashion magazines and political websites, among many others, wrote about the film. The cultural impact of BP was enormous and it will surely prompt Hollywood studios to invest in more big budget productions featuring a primarily black cast. To a lesser but still noticeable extent, Love, Simon also crossed over into non-movie centric media due to its impact on moviegoers.

Despite it being a box office behemoth, AIW has not yet received the same sort of cultural attention. It's possible that may happen in the weeks to come. Even if it does, it probably won't generate the same changes in Hollywood that BP has/will.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Mekanos said:

I loved Wonder Woman but its success and impact got dwarfed by Black Panther big time. It's not just that Black Panther had a black protagonist, but an all-black cast set in Africa with themes of racism and colonialism. Wonder Woman was mostly a straightforward superhero movie starring a woman. 

It's interesting that both movies explored the idea of living secluded in utopia vs helping those who don't, come to think of it

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

It's interesting that both movies explored the idea of living secluded in utopia vs helping those who don't, come to think of it

It bothers me that we got two great movies and people have to pit them against each other.

b4b0c6cb8e8802f5126b51a354024f81.jpg

• Like 12
  • Astonished 1

7 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Wonder Woman is a good movie, but it did sort of go out of its way to not have much to say about gender or sexuality. (Two things that are very much tied to her and have been since her origin) That's fine for that movie, but when you compare it with a movie that actually does talk about relevant cultural conversations while being a good movie, it can't help but be overshadowed. 

16 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I can't take it man. I hardly put anyone on ignore but I had to here. It's just too much and not worth seeing over and over and over again. It just gets insanely annoying and I'd rather not see it.

And there will be two years of these types of posts until that stupid film comes out.

I don't know who is worse, The Snyder fanboys or the Cameron fanboys and I love most of Camerons films. They are flat out delusional when it comes to Avatar 2 though when predicting out of this world OWs and grosses with nothing to go on.

It's like they are only here to start arguments.

It's weird. I thought the franchise war stuff was against the rules.

I know i got banned without warning simply for being on the defensive about MCU even if it was on topic.

I enjoy fanboy teasing as much as the next guy but not when my hands are tied and others are given free reign.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

It bothers me that we got two great movies and people have to pit them against each other.

14 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

I loved Wonder Woman but its success and impact got dwarfed by Black Panther big time.

:Venom:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5