Neo

Venom | 5 OCTOBER 2018 | Sony | Tom Hardy is Venom. Social Media reactions coming in

3 hours ago, Nova said:

Did I say that the DCEU is a failed universe? No I did not. 

All I said was that BvS and SS were both financial successes and neither one of them got sequels. A Harley Quinn movie starring other females characters is not a Suicide Squad spin off. 

i don’t think they ever intended for BvS to have a sequel.You could say that JL served as its sequel.SS is having one in the works and one spin-off production which I am inclined to believe that it will be huge.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

My last prediction before reactions came in was 47%.

It's looked pretty bad from the get-go to me. In a good way of course. Any hope I had based off casting for an actual quality movie was quickly squashed by the trailers. But I got another gift instead.

Edited by MrPink
  • Haha 1

I can’t help but notice that a lot of the positive reviews for the movie seem to be praising it specifically in a so bad it’s good sort of way. That would explain why its Tomatometer score is currently higher than what a lot of people were expecting. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 2

Sony is using the FOX/Marvel business model,selling mediocrity that is cheap but earns money for the studio.

Venom s budget will make it a money maker and a new franchise for the studio.

Edited by The Futurist

16 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Oof, no wonder Sony had such a late embargo. It'll open well but it's going to sink like a rock. 

Define well.

3 months ago the faithful diehards were positive of $100m OW, setting an Oct record.

Tracking as reported just yesterday was $57-62m....which I doubt.

I think it opens to 40m +/-, drops hard an misses $100m DOM altogether. Then again I've never been in this films camp so I feel ahead of the curve anyways. 

There's definitely an audience for this that will see it even if the movie doesn't look at all promising, and while the reviews are bad (as expected), they're not bad enough to sink the film completely like Fantastic Four '15 (which likely would've seen a much bigger opening even if the reviews had been around Venom's level). That said, an opening much higher than $60M feels like a stretch at this point, and it's likely to fly out of theaters at a very fast rate (wouldn't be surprised if it's down to 1K theaters by the time Bohemian Rhapsody and The Nutcracker open in a few weeks).

33 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Sony is using the FOX/Marvel business model,selling mediocrity that is cheap but earns money for the studio. 

You have to be a hardcore MCU fanboy to consider Deadpool or Logan "mediocre". And the X-Men movies have never been "cheap".

Apart from that, great point as usual. :Venom:

• Like 1

Yeeeeeeah... This wasn't that bad at all. You can poke holes in a lot of the movie, but it's fast paced, action is good, it's funny, its short.

I don't think many people will come out hating it, honestly.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, TheManFromBeyond said:

Moral of the story kids: Having a good cast does not equal good movie.

That's been proven time and time again before but apparently some folks still haven't learned this.

It goes beyond that. You can have a movie with a good cast, good writers, and a good director and still get a turd. Talented people sometimes blow it.

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

It goes beyond that. You can have a movie with a good cast, good writers, and a good director and still get a turd. Talented people sometimes blow it.

You can also get a good movie that nobody wants to see.

17 hours ago, Napoleon said:

The positive reviews are very positive and the negative reviews are very negative. I don't want to jump to conclusions but this is sounding like a brilliant film that not everyone will understand. I'm excited to see it for myself.

Only reason you are stanning for this film is you think doing that will hurt Marvel Studios in some way.