kayumanggi

AVENGERS ENDGAME | 1939.4 M overseas ● 2797.8 M worldwide

10 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

PTA is only $109 less than Aladdin and that's with averaging only 2-3 showings per screen

Unless there are contracts involved there's no reason it shouldn't keep it's screens over SLOP2, MIBI, Child's Play etc

Among 82 tracked films it's 5th in PTA for any movie in over 16 theaters.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?view=main&yr=2019&wknd=26&sort=avg&order=DESC&p=.htm

I wouldn’t be surprised for things to go even nuts and Endgame losing less theaters because more theater chains might want that action. This PTA at this point of the run is heaven sent.

5 minutes ago, scabab said:

How did it increase by 129% in Australia when it lost about two thirds of its theatres?

According with BOM and people that live there and reported the re-release, two curious things happened with Avengers: Endgame in Australia:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&view=byweekend&wk=2019W25&id=marvel2019.htm

According with BOM, it added 159 theaters last weekend, but BOM is also reporting that it lose 178 theaters this weekend:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&view=byweekend&wk=2019W26&id=marvel2019.htm

It’s kind of common knowledge here on BOT that the individual numbers for the several territories overseas are usually inaccurate on BOM, while the total actuals from overseas are accurate because it’s released by the studios themselves. I wouldn’t put too much weight on individual numbers on BOM, they aren’t good at tracking worldwide data like that. We all know that Australia actually expanded this weekend because they had the global re-release as well. 

15 minutes ago, Menor said:

What about GWTW, Star Wars, ET, Jurassic Park etc. I'd say those are more impressive than Force Awakens and definitely moreso than Avengers (1st one, Endgame of course belongs up there).

11 minutes ago, expensiveho said:

If this is since Titanic, I agree. 

Since Jaws, I would say:

1. Titanic

2. Star Wars

3-6. Endgame / Avatar / E.T. / Jaws  being equally impressive 

7. The Force Awakens / Jurassic Park

9. The Avengers / Infinity War

I am a box office nut, but I don’t mind that much for the box office of the stuff that came before I could actually follow, most of all because it’s way too hard to gauge around since data was far less reliable back then, but @expensiveho‘s list seems legit.

• Like 1

It’s weird how much the trend has reversed from yesterday. We went from thinking it was still 50/50, drag out until Labor Day. Now most seem to be confident it will do it and do so within the next month or so. It makes sense why that happened with the insane actuals increase and what that Sunday hold indicates for the Endgame/Far From Home duo, but still.

2 minutes ago, Doctor Stark said:

It’s weird how much the trend has reversed from yesterday. We went from thinking it was still 50/50, drag out until Labor Day. Now most seem to be confident it will do it and do so within the next month or so. It makes sense why that happened with the insane actuals increase and what that Sunday hold indicates for the Endgame/Far From Home duo, but still.

I’ll requote myself once again:

On 6/30/2019 at 3:14 PM, ZattMurdock said:

People keep freaking out once the estimate numbers get here on Sundays only to get confident again once the actuals come. I’m used to this at this point. People need to understand that it’s going to be so incredibly close that truly all what Avengers: Endgame needed was this push.

This has been the one thing constant here on BOT. People need to learn to wait for actuals from the OS market, it’s specially a Disney thing to underplay their overseas numbers.

Disney has done a very costly blunder with pushing Avengers for the biggest box office worldwide. Because by doing this, they are losing the opportunity to use 'the sequel to biggest movie worldwide' campaign for Avatar 2 marketing and at least $500 million less box office  (if not more) for Avatar 2. Instead, they are only getting $40-50 million box office for the Avengers box office record push. Very bad decision making..... Very unlike Disney marketing brain.

• Haha 3
  • ...wtf 2

I see the future narrative for explaining Avatar 2’s inevitable failure (to match the bo of first one) - Disney didn’t re release it and even pushed Endgame over, that’s why A2 grossed “only” $2.2B

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, TRISTAN said:

Disney has done a very costly blunder with pushing Avengers for the biggest box office worldwide. Because by doing this, they are losing the opportunity to use 'the sequel to biggest movie worldwide' campaign for Avatar 2 marketing and at least $500 million less box office  (if not more) for Avatar 2. Instead, they are only getting $40-50 million box office for the Avengers box office record push. Very bad decision making..... Very unlike Disney marketing brain.

Literally no one besides people on this site cares whether Avatar is the #1 or #2 film at the BO. 

Ads for Avatar 2 that say "#1 film of all time" would not have convinced anyone to see it who wasn't already going to see it already. 

Why?
Because everyone is already aware of Avatar, and most it's audience had already seen the original and that is what is going to bring them back for the sequel. 

People are confusing when a film first opens, and after it is #1 the first weekend the studio runs ads saying "see why 'X' movie is the number one movie in North America" and a movie that has completed it's run. 

After the first weekend a film opens, there is still a large part of the audience that hasn't seen it (or maybe even heard much about it), so those ads are basically saying " a whole bunch of people saw and liked this movie, you might too". However, in the case of Avatar, they don't need to convince the audience that a whole bunch of people saw and liked the movie because pretty much the entire potential audience already saw and it and liked it. 

This whole argument that they are losing the chance to call Avatar 2 the sequel to the #1 film of all time is the silliest thing I've heard in all my 20 years of tracking box office, right back to the Showbizdata days. 

And also, Disney doesn't need anyone's help with their decision making. 

They've passed 2 billion domestically already this year, and that's not even including the Fox films which they now own. Disney is just fine without our Monday morning quarterbacking. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, TRISTAN said:

They will use the same phrase for Avengers 5

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

Puny domestic. Try 865M. First 2.8B movie. Ever.

There is an effect it happens once a film becomes the highest grossing of all time. With an Oscar season re-release I wouldn't doubt that. For now, I'm just happy that the record is going down. After the second weekend, my prediction for Endgame's domestic haul was $866m, btw.

24 minutes ago, TRISTAN said:

It honestly doesn't matter much. If anything, keeping Avatar in the headlines with Endgame's will-it/won't-it become temporarily #1 does more for Avatar 2 marketing than Endgame falling way short, and gives even more easy headlines to Avatar when it gets its re-release. And before everyone forgets, neither Avatar or Titanic were marketed as the sequel to the #1 movie of all time and things worked out fine for them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I think AOU / TA * EG ~ A5

1.4/1.5 * 2.8 ~ 2.6

To be totally honest, I don’t think A5 will exist. Expecting a name change of some kind for the new teamup franchise, leave Avengers with a sense of finality.   

Of course, if they go with New Avengers, the acronym will be NA1... and at that point it’s just destiny 😎 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I think AOU / TA * EG ~ A5

1.4/1.5 * 2.8 ~ 2.6

Without the big 2 might be a tall order. But who knows, I look forward to see how the next Avengers film will shape up and who will be in it. I don't see it happening before 2023 for ~reasons~.

7 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

To be totally honest, I don’t think A5 will exist. Expecting a name change of some kind for the new teamup franchise, leave Avengers with a sense of finality.   

Of course, if they go with New Avengers, the acronym will be NA1... and at that point it’s just destiny 😎 

agm5J6q.jpg

Edited by ZattMurdock