CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

These are depressing numbers for both DP2 and IW. 

The West Coast better come through for both

:whosad:

FUCK FOX. One last time for good luck before the merger goes through, I guess? Here's hoping that it's one last time.

I'm tired of Fox fucking things up. And yes I know that this release date is probably also Reynolds idea, but that just shows how fucking important a Feige is, even when you have a homerun like DP2. Film is suffering because people are still with hangover from Infinity War. Give it a little room and take an August ou even September date and this would go BONKERS. But no, let's go for the ~PRIME DATE~. 

I'm so pissed off right now. And I love both these films. LOVE the two. And Fox still managed to fuck this up. 

Yyyyyyyyyup, not good for either cbm. Well, not TERRIBLE for DP2, but not really extraordinary. And really piss poor for IW, though, again, it really shouldn't surprise anyone as all the variants were there for it to happen. Let's see what happens here on out throughout the weekend.

Also not a surprising theory if true: DP2 being scheduled for this weekend might have been a mini death sentence for both itself AND IW. Why not move it to August instead? Both GOTG and Suicide Squad thrived in there, + it wouldn't be sandwiched in-between two Disney tentpoles (one of them another cbm). And it would have no major competition, apart from maybe The Meg.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

I guess there is still hope for this world after all.

Also, people can now fully understand how crazy IW 's OW  is, to be on par with Force Awakens is an incredible feat.

This record will hold at least 5 years IMO since all the major fanchises have peaked.

Avatar can't/won't open huge and family films like Lion King rarely broke OW week-ends records (or is it never ?).

• Like 1

Just now, The Futurist said:

I guess there is still hope for this world after all.

Also, people can now fully understand how crazy IW 's OW  is, to be on par with Force Awakens is an incredible feat.

This record will hold at least 5 years IMO since all the major fanchises have peaked.

Avatar can't/won't open huge and family films like Lion King rarely broke OW week-ends records (or is it never ?).

Avengers 4 should beat it next year surely? Pressure is on. 

• Like 1

Well, I am cool with the Deadpool # as it fits what I have been preaching for the last couple of weeks. 

After the 30-31 deadline #s the 6.5 for AIW sucks. Yikes. 

Still a solid weekend overall. 

• Like 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

55M

46.7M (-15%)

37.4M (-20%)

139.1M Weekend

dunno why the fuck everyone is freaking out

Maybe some people are because it’s the lower end of tracking and not much more than the original. 

I’m not bothered, just an obvious guess though 

• Like 2

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

Yyyyyyyyyup, not good for either cbm. Well, not TERRIBLE for DP2, but not really extraordinary. And really piss poor for IW, though, again, it really shouldn't surprise anyone as all the variants were there for it to happen. Let's see what happens here on out throughout the weekend.

It IS terrible for DP2. I do think that Reynolds was looking like a nervous wreck in the last days because they took notice that the release date wasn't good. The promo for this was not nearly close to the first one because they had to start way too late because of IW. That wasn't the case for DP1. I'd argue that it's worse for DP2 than it is for IW: I honestly could see a scenario where it'd miss $300m. 

And here's where I comeback to reply to you something you've said about CW: CW wasn't hated by the GA, what happened was that people loved the film but it was a Cap film, and an awful superhero film came a little bit more than one month earlier that kinda screwed up everything. DP2 situation is similar but Fox has only itself to blame. What is making these numbers look bad is the fact that it's wasted potential, for BOTH films. Both would benefit of being released AT LEAST two months apart. Fox tried their luck and in the end screwed up everything,, for both films. 

• Like 3

Anything above 125 is still great for DP2 considering its crappy slot. The fact that Deadpool is now a comfortable 100 opener should indicate the powerhouse the character has become.

Edited by Mekanos
  • Like 1

Deadpool’s predecessor came out Valentine’s Day and Presidents’ Day weekend all in one.

The sequel coming in the summer is different, yeah you got Han Solo next weekend but there’s plenty of breathing space and summer dailies and what not to help out. 

So for a sequel Deadpool 2 is doing reasonable and sucessful numbers. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

55M

46.7M (-15%)

37.4M (-20%)

139.1M Weekend

It's not even an decrease from the first film's OW, it's very good. And even if it does slightly decrease, $130m+ is an OW many films would kill for. 

I do think FOX's strategy of releasing a superhero film in May hasn't worked as well, the only time it has worked was DOFP which only had to deal with TASM2 which wasn't well received and it had a strong hook

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

55M

46.7M (-15%)

37.4M (-20%)

139.1M Weekend

This won't go over DP1's ow. It's more likely to actually go under $130m OW. So yeah, it's not a good start for DP2 box office wise. 

Just now, Jonwo said:

It's not even an decrease from the first film's OW, it's very good. And even if it does slightly decrease, $130m+ is an OW many films would kill for. 

It will decrease. And I love the film. But it's obvious at this point that it'll decrease. It won't be able to perform like DP1. Barring an west coast miracle, DP2 is going UNDER $130m. 

I'm really not sure what more Deadpool 2 was going to do even if it opened in August. It did $18.6M for previews which is fantastic for any film let alone an R-rates film. It's that OD that's making me scratch my head. If it's on the higher end, it should be fine but yikes if it gets to $52M. It may miss $120M for the weekend.