CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

29 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

From 2016 MPAA Breakdown

Thank you, I have way less datas at my fingers tips than in the past. I think I've mixed it up with the population split or so.

These numbers aren’t even surprising I knew it was going to do this all along.  I don’t even know why people expected more. It’s not like Deadpool is a huge brand that draws big crowds. I mean the first movie basically took off because of its marketing campaign.  DP2 is performing like a normal sequel.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, GraceRandolph said:

These numbers aren’t even surprising I knew it was going to do this all along.  I don’t even know why people expected more. It’s not like Deadpool is a huge brand that draws big crowds. I mean the first movie basically took off because of its marketing campaign.  DP2 is performing like a normal sequel.   

Trollololol

From a neutral point of view don't really care if this makes $250m dom, $300m dom or $350m dom... it was half decent and I hope it makes a profit but it's not exactly in position to contend any records of interest

• Like 1

Sunday estimate for DP2 definitely seems way too high. The first actually had really poor Sunday holds outside of the holiday OW. Comparing to 22 Jump Street - which is the only somewhat decent comp we have given tone, rating, sequel, and OW size - that fell 30% on its OW Sunday. I'd expect actuals to be down about 2m. 

4 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Imagine if every movie can make $363M domestic because of its marketing campaign 

:sparta:

• Thanks 1

If DP2 had VD Sunday/PD Monday (helping Sunday nights) and even if it did not hold like DP1, the ows could have been similar:

53.3+40.5+38.2(-6%) = 132

47.3+42.5+42.6(+0%) = 132.5 DP1

Edited by A2k Raptor

4 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

This is the first comment I've seen from you that doesn't belong in the toilet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I can see a couple of those five or so trilogies being scrapped if Solo underperforms 

It would be a great excuse to dump Johnson's trilogy that's never going to happen anyway.

DP2's decrease over the original actually makes me a little bit worried about WW2.It's a lighting doesn't strike twice thing.

Like no way in hell WW2 opens to less than 100M but maybe the jump won't be as big as we thought and it will ultimately finish with less than WW (which i realise is a very possible scenario even w/o DP underperformance.

That being said,i think audiences connected to a more personal level with WW and a WW film could more easily diviate from the original and people see it as its own thing (which i think didn't helP DP2.)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

DP2's decrease over the original actually makes me a little bit worried about WW2.It's a lighting doesn't strike twice thing.

Like no way in hell WW2 opens to less than 100M but maybe the jump won't be as big as we thought and it will ultimately finish with less than WW (which i realise is a very possible scenario even w/o DP underperformance.

That being said,i think audiences connected to a more personal level with WW and a WW film could more easily diviate from the original and people see it as its own thing (which i think didn't helP DP2.)

WW has many advantages over DP2. It didn't set a new ceiling for its type of movie, it's not R, it's being released during the holidays, the first's OW was deflated due to the GA feeling burned by DCEU, and it wasn't a novelty thing like DP. There's zero reason for WW2 to not open significantly higher than the rather low benchmark set by the first (maybe even more than 50m higher), and from there it has holidays to boost its legs and likely get it over 400. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 8

19 minutes ago, Nova said:

Imagine if every movie can make $363M domestic because of its marketing campaign 

:sparta:

Well Avatar made like 3 billion from its amazing marketing campaign. So it’s nothing new. :Venom:

Edited by GraceRandolph

5 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

WW2 has a much better release date compared to DP2, a similar increase like GOTG2 would be my guess, I would like to break the November but that might be a step too far. 

28 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Man, I know my life has changed when I look at the top 10 and I only know 4 of those movies.

i just heard about Book Club and Show Dogs. for sure these are not real movies.

• Like 1