CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

This won't go over DP1's ow. It's more likely to actually go under $130m OW. So yeah, it's not a good start for DP2 box office wise. 

actually the reverse is true

Just now, Nova said:

I'm really not sure what more Deadpool 2 was going to do even if it opened in August. It did $18.6M for previews which is fantastic for any film let alone an R-rates film. It's that OD that's making me scratch my head. If it's on the higher end, it should be fine but yikes if it gets to $52M. It may miss $120M for the weekend. 

August would have gave it some breathing room away from the juggernaut that is Avengers. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

dunno why the fuck everyone is freaking out

It's a Weekend Thread on BOT.  I think people NOT freaking out would be the surprising thing, myself.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, jj99 said:

actually the reverse is true

DP1 made $48 OD. If DP2 makes $52-55m OD, even if I don't factor the frontloadness, I need to factor the fact that DP1 was released in a weekend holiday, hence why it had inflated Sunday and Monday numbers. DP1 was at $150m by the end of Monday. I think it's possible for DP2 not to even make to $140m by the end of Monday. This isn't a good release date for DP2, there's not two ways around this. 

I'm still surprised that so many people thought IW would have a 50% drop or better this weekend. DP2 may be R-rated, but it's still direct competition. This drop was expected for me, especially since IW already burnt off such a huge demand over the past three weeks. Still, IW could be pulled out of theaters today and it would still be a monumental success. So everybody chill out!

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Why didn’t people use this excuse when Justice League opened two weeks after Thor? 

I don't think moving JL to August was ever really an option.

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

August would have gave it some breathing room away from the juggernaut that is Avengers. 

Also, more time for an ACTUAL viral campaign to be effective. Deadpool 2 had GREAT viral stuff going on, but all at once. That wasn't the case for DP1, which had a crescendo that started with that Christmas log video and just kept going and getting crazier. This time everything happened at once. Viral marketing is about timing, not just about how brilliant it is. It's like DP2: better than the first, but wasted on a bad release date. 

• Sad 1

Just now, Krissykins said:

We got a really crap “trailer” for Solo before Deadpool 2, Childish Gambino showing us round a space ship :rolleyes:

zero reaction from anyone in the audience of course lol

Yikes. Sounds like Disney's awkward attempt to get "lit" with the kids.

1 hour ago, Rthanos said:

DP2 52-55m, AIW 6.5

Stupid move by fox to move deadpool up to this weekend. Both the movies got cannibalised. And next week solo drops, if these numbers hold true IW is dropping like a cliff and DP2 isnt crossing 130.