CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

• Founder / Operator
1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

DP2 only needs to do 2.4 multi to crack $300m which is achievable IMO, sure it's not hitting the heights of DP1 but the film's still a hit for FOX nonetheless. 

Totally agree! I don't mean to suggest that "only $300m" is a bad thing by any means. I just had a concern this was going to be a movie where expectations got a little too high. There's no doubt that an R-rated superhero sequel making this much money is a MAJOR win for Fox, and even more reason for Disney to let it stay its own thing if/when they complete the buyout.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

DP2 seems to be pulling the very rare Spider-man 2: a CBM sequel to a very well received predecessor that is very well received itself yet still decreases. Still, SM2 isn't exactly bad company to be in. 

Different in that SM 1 was a behemoth and sequels to those always decline - SM2's declines of I think 8% is by far the lowest for a direct sequel of a film that size (near 70m admissions)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

DP2 should have stayed in that slot. Would have made it and IW complete non-factors to both of each other and probably would have helped both a little. 

Tell me again what was Fox’s logic to move it to May? Ego? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RealLyre said:

How is DP2 doing overseas? is it matching DP1's opening there?

Better in some, weaker in others from what I’ve gathered.

12 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Totally agree! I don't mean to suggest that "only $300m" is a bad thing by any means. I just had a concern this was going to be a movie where expectations got a little too high. There's no doubt that an R-rated superhero sequel making this much money is a MAJOR win for Fox, and even more reason for Disney to let it stay its own thing if/when they complete the buyout.

In a perfect world, Feige would shuttle him off to his own corner while getting him for the big MCU crossover movies (like say Secret Wars) where he cracks lines about selling out to play in PG-13 to boost his action figure sales.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator
1 minute ago, RRA said:

In a perfect world, Feige would shuttle him off to his own corner while getting him for the big MCU crossover movies (like say Secret Wars) where he cracks lines about selling out to play in PG-13 to boost his action figure sales.

I would say you should pitch that to Marvel/Feige, but they seem to be so far ahead of our thinking with each passing movie that I kinda wonder if that's their plan already...

• Like 2

iSpot ad airings:

Solo: 10,774 (4,335 for Denny's, 4,101 for General Mills, 2,219 for the movie itself, 119 for Esurance)

Adrift: 365

Action Point: 183

Upgrade: 6

Ocean's 8: 507

Hotel Artemis: 273

Hereditary: 0

Incredibles 2: 1,840 (1,657 for the movie itself, 183 for Colorox)

Tag: 201

Superfly: 25

Jurassic World: 286

Sicario: 23

Uncle Drew: 12

TFW Paramount has aired less ads for Action Point than Global Road has for Hotel Artemis :hahaha: I can buy those Popstar numbers now

I wouldn't worry too much about Hereditary not airing any ads yet; It Comes at Night only aired 29 ads and could've hit 7M on OW if WOM didn't spread like a wildfire. Social media buzz will matter much more, and there's still three weeks to go.

Ocean's 8 seems to be getting a similar push as WB's three main spring releases. That's a nice showing for Tag four weeks out.

• Like 1

Comedy sequels decrease, as do most superhero sequels outside the MCU, and Deadpool is proving the law of both. I think the only world in which a straight sequel to the first movie would increase is if they teamed Deadpool up with Logan or whatever.

The fact that it's going to mirror the original's opening and was well received critically is kind of miraculous (it's also a far superior film to the original...)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Different in that SM 1 was a behemoth and sequels to those always decline - SM2's declines of I think 8% is by far the lowest for a direct sequel of a film that size (near 70m admissions)

At the time general consensus among moviegoers was it was not as good as #1, though that has obviously reversed (some would say corrected) over time.

hell back in 1995, I remember when it consensus that Batman Forever was better than Batman Returns. The 1990s were a weird time....

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

How is DP2 doing overseas? is it matching DP1's opening there?

Decrease openings in a few European countries that had reported numbers so far, Australia too it seems. 

About double DP 5-day OW in South Korea so I can see overall increases in Asian territories.

Ditto increases for Latin America as well if numbers from other countries follow suits with early figures from Chile, Argentina, etc...

Edited by Sam

8 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Yeah, that's true but nontheless it remains the only CBM sequel to a very well received predecessor that is very well received itself to decrease. I guess you can maybe make a case for TDKR as well, though I think everyone can agree widespread reception was nowhere near as enthusiastic as TDK's. 

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

For a while I've thought that moving to the Summer was a mistake. I'll wait until weekend 3 to see if I was right.

Dunno that being sandwiched between BP and IW woulda been great for it

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

I don't know if it would have made significantly more money, but early August would have been a perfect date for DP2. Not enough crossover with MI: Fallout's audience to really harm either one, IMHO.

• Like 2