Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

A big problem Star Wars faces moving forward is that the big grosses of the prequels and FA/RO/TLJ were based on 30 year old nostalgia for 1977-1983.

"How did Darth Vader come to be?" - prequel trilogy

"What happens to Luke, Leia and Han in the future?" - Force Awakens, Last Jedi

"How did the Death Star plans get stolen?" - Rogue One

It all boils down to those first three films. The prequels are sort of iconic and/or infamous in their own right but the big box office was not based on them independently. The only aspect that people might want to revisit is Ewan as Obi Wan.

Right now, Marvel is creating its beloved, iconic properties and films. It's actively developing its legacy. Whereas Star Wars has been resting on nostalgia for 1977-1983.

It seems the nostalgia gravy train has run out.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

They also need to learn how to keep their budgets in control, and not have any serious production problems, like Fiege and co usually manage to do with the MCU films. I'm still interested in Solo, and I think LF can right the ship, but even I acknowledge for a lower spinoff like Solo, a 250m dollar budget is quite frankly "too much", and a bit absurd.

TBF that could apply to many films and not just Star Wars. Disney were very guilty of overspending in the past, Lone Ranger, John Carter to name but most of their non Marvel or SW live action films now have under $200m budget.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Marvel is helped by branding. Black Panther wasn’t “An Avengers Story: Black Panther.” It was just “Black Panther.” It’s more comparable to Pixar than Star Wars.

With the MCU..(and , if they get their act together,the DCU) you have much room to play with then you do in the Star Wars Universe. They are really a number of different franchises bundled together,with ability to combine or split them as needed. SW as an universe simply does not have

that flexibility.

1 minute ago, Alli said:

hmmm... you make some good points. But AM2 is after IW.  The second trailer released after IW has more likes than the first one which never happens. I think we need to take the aftermath after IW into consideration.

I think it’s a factor, and we’ll see, I just think people are going a bit crazy with the ant-Man expectations.  I don’t see how it gets close to topping Ragnarok or Homecoming

• Like 2

17.9 (+27%)  

19.5 (+9%)  

18.5 (-5%)  

16 (-14%)     

70M 3-day, 86M 4-day      

This is not my actual prediction, but it is clearly at least on the table for now.    

Solo is more likely to miss 200M than AM&tW.

Edited by Thanos Legion

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

17.9 (+27%)  

19.5 (+9%)  

18.5 (-5%)  

16 (-14%)     

70M 3-day, 86M 4-day      

This is not my actual prediction, but it is clearly at least on the table for now.

These are X-Men Apocalypse numbers adjusted

Lord

• Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

7 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

My range: 75M-130M Dom for the weekend 

If it does 37 Friday it can on the high-end pull off 115 4-day which then gives it a stab at 250 Dom and still only 475-500 WW.

14 + 23 + 29 (+26%) + 27 (-7%) + 22 (-18.5%) = 115 (93 3-day, 2.7x for 251)

Edited by A2k Raptor
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Still look better than Black Panther :ph34r:

Killmonger > Green Power Ranger

BP females > Kirstin Dunst

BP drama > youse mess with one of us (forced 9-11 pandering)

BP set action set pieces > SM1

BP box office > SM box office

BP critical consensus > SM1 critical consensus 

Kendrick Lamar > Nickelback

AND A HERO WILL SAVE YOU. I'M NOT GOING TO STAND HERE AND WAYIEEEEEEET!

They played that shit so much that summer people were brainwashed into thinking SM1 could compare to Superman The Movie.

It doesn't.

• Like 2