Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

The fact that a HAN SOLO movie is in the same ballpark as fucking Doctor Strange :winomg:

A lesson for future franchises: don't unceremoniously kill off your lead character as soon as you reintroduce him after a 40 year wait. It will severely piss of the fans.

• Like 1

Star Wars universe in huge and has lots of creative potential.

But when you shelve awesome concepts like the Knights of Ren and replace them with an origin story no one really demanded, your extended universe is on borrowed time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

The business reality is they aren't going to make fewer Star Wars movie and they aren't going to space them out further. Neither of those is a realistic plan.

What they have to do instead is find a way for the side adventures to appeal to very broad audiences.

It's entirely possible to do this, they have an entire universe to work with. They probably do need some tonal variation. The need some story scale variation. All this is very do-able.

What I'm interested in hearing is how do they capture a reasonable share of the China market? It's important that they do, but it's difficult to see how. 

The most obvious way would be to cast well-known Chinese actors and do intense promo there.

Although Chinese audiences didn't seem to give a damn about Rose (I also heard some rumblings that they did not like the interracial romance at all)

1 minute ago, Hunch said:

The fact that a HAN SOLO movie is in the same ballpark as fucking Doctor Strange :winomg:

A lesson for future franchises: don't unceremoniously kill off your lead character as soon as you reintroduce him after a 40 year wait. It will severely piss of the fans.

The fact that Doctor Strange will get a sequel that'll increase from the first movie, while Solo 2 is being replaced by Boba Fett. :lol:

13 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

LF has episode 9.

If that sucks they will probably fire Kathleen and rebrand in 5 to 7 years

The Last Jedi didn't leave general audiences begging for more and Episode IX lacks a hook.

Doubt Kennedy goes anywhere nor should she. She's delivered the goods, so far. Regardless of how she's handled it, she got the job done.

Just now, Nova said:

Spider-man>>>>>>>>most CBM released today 

The efficiency in storytelling is crazy. Within 30 minutes we have seen Peter and Norman's backstory, both their transformations, Uncle Ben's death and the Spidey suit. CBMs take till the middle of the movie or the end of the third act to get to that point now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Spectre crawl to 200M 

Never forget :hahaha:

And made 880 Million World Wide. The Bond franchise for a number of years, has made it's big bucks overseas.

But then I expect a Star Wars fan to hate the James Bond Franchise. It's SW's main competition ..when adjusted figures are used..for the most successful franchise of all time;of course they are going to hate it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

What is the chance, in your opinion, that Ant-Man and the Wasp will have a Domestic total below $10M?

Somewhere well below 1% but not 0%.  Perhaps Trump starts a nuclear war or something, or an epidemic wipes out 80% of our population.  Kind of far fetched Black Swan type of evens but that doesn’t mean they’re impossible.

People don’t understand probability or statistics and it leads to a lot of misunderstanding and false claims.  People want certainty, but reality is far from certain.

I probably would have said a Star Wars movie under 200m would be 0% prior to this if I misused statistics, and then I would have been wrong and foolish (it probably still won’t go under, but gosh it might get close if these numbers don’t brighten).

Also getting a call right doesn’t confirm these 0%\100% certain claims, it means you picked an event that was either probable (or not) and got lucky.  People like to give forecasters of all sorts shit because they give ranges but they’re being responsible with how they interpret and present their data.

I still dont get btw why we wont get an Old Republic movie or trilogy. Theres SO MUCH you can do with that material, so many possible new awesome characters, planets and storys! Its literally a goldmine that Lucasfilm just ignores lol.

1 minute ago, Hunch said:

The most obvious way would be to cast well-known Chinese actors and do intense promo there.

Although Chinese audiences didn't seem to give a damn about Rose (I also heard some rumblings that they did not like the interracial romance at all)

Marie Tran isn’t Chinese.

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Star Wars universe in huge and has lots of creative potential.

But when you shelve awesome concepts like the Knights of Ren and replace them with an origin story no one really demanded, your extended universe is on borrowed time.

:bravo:

• Like 2

Going forward, I think this is the only thing that would really make a big increase for Episode IX possible:

- Luke + Obi Wan (with Ewan of course) + Yoda + Anakin (yes, Hayden) force ghosts all in the film and in the trailers, and somehow part of the plot is making the Force Ghosts able to fight and interact with the physical world again so we can actually get lightsaber battles and stuff with them. Basically a DOFP scenario type thing with the PT, OT and new trilogy cast all meshing together

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

But Justice League was not only a "blockbuster Flop" if we're going by your definition, it was a real flop that lost WB money (50M or so if i remember correctly). Solo will be the same by the looks of it.

If your are talking about that Forbe article, they estimated a 50m or more loss, but couple of distinction here

1) China heavy

2) 350m net production cost + Bonus was used (i.e. Justice league didn't double the estimated budget they used, didn't came that close to do 350m domestic either)

3) Didn't took into account merchandising and for good reason really hard to estimate effect on ongoing franchise sales.

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The efficiency in storytelling is crazy. Within 30 minutes we have seen Peter and Norman's backstory, both their transformations, Uncle Ben's death and the Spidey suit. CBMs take till the middle of the movie or the end of the third act to get to that point now.

every blockbuster is so messy, bloated or rushed, fifteen subplots, setting up sequels etc, it's hard to find one today with the economy that spider-man has.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hunch said:

Doctor Strange grossed 200M+ more than Solo will

3 minutes ago, Hunch said:

The actress is Vietnamese

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1