Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

Wow, that is some epic floppage

This beats out GhostFloppers and Flop League.  I wouldn't be surprised in the coming days if the spin machine by Disney/pundits gets as virulent and nasty as Ghostbusters's got.

This is good news imo, bad films should be rejected.  And bombs like these make for the best threads.

Carry on.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Marvel and Star wars are  two very different things and people shouldn’t really draw that many parallels between them. Marvel, the comic book company not the MCU, can sustain as many as five films per year with variables degrees of success. Marvel is way too diverse , its heroes are just far too diverse so you can go from the poor neighborhoods of New York with spider man to a mega technologically advanced part of Africa with black panther to outer space with GOTG. Star Wars is a sci-fi franchise , there’s only so much you can do with it. Disney should stick to making the absolute  best possible big , mainline films , every two years or so and forget about spin offs. 

There's only so much you can do with always the same setting

Which is why they have to switch it up big time if they want to steer the ship

Infinity War is staying FLAT from Wednesday with this Thursday estimate. I actually see Solo flopping what might guarantee and cement that Infinity War has a theater count good enough to reach $700m... and even further, throughout the Summer. What I'm seeing now:

• Deadpool 2 isn't overperforming.
  • Solo is most definitely UNDERperforming.

Theater counts for Infinity War this weekend is under Black Panther's 5th weekend, it's true, but by less than 200 theaters. What I could see it happening is because of Solo underperforming, Infinity War to take the charge and well, get more theaters and because of it, a steadier run to $700m domestic. Same thing could happen overseas, although that's harder to predict.

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Solo under GOTG 3 day is what’s blowing my mind right now.

Well obviously the more liked sci-fi space adventure franchise is going to be doing better numbers.         

Speaking of, I need to wait until December 2019 or so to make a GotG3 over SWIX club, right?

6 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Oh no.

LOTR nerds.

Do we have any relevant challengers?

Get ready bro, that 1 billion + Middle Earth TV show is coming out in a few years to replace Game of Thrones.  One Trilogy to rule them all and 1 TV show to rule them all.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Astonished 1

They should delay IX to dec 2020. Dead serious. Let some actual time pass again for people to miss SW and a little bit of demand to build. Give them that extra year to really figure out what the absolute best path to take with IX is and make the best film possible. And as for Avatar 2, we know that’s inevitably getting delayed again, let’s be real. 

Edited by MovieMan89

10 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

LF has episode 9.

If that sucks they will probably fire Kathleen and rebrand in 5 to 7 years

I don't think that Disney will mind if Episode IX sucks, as long as it makes a lot of money.....

"Solo" crime in the eyes of Disney ..and would be in the eyes of any studio..is not that it might suck as a movie, but that it ain't gonna make much money. I

If you  have not noted, a lot of movies that in retrospect are pretty bad made a huge amount of money when they first came out.

7 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Marvel and Star wars are  two very different things and people shouldn’t really draw that many parallels between them. Marvel, the comic book company not the MCU, can sustain as many as five films per year with variables degrees of success. Marvel is way too diverse , its heroes are just far too diverse so you can go from the poor neighborhoods of New York with spider man to a mega technologically advanced part of Africa with black panther to outer space with GOTG. Star Wars is a sci-fi franchise , there’s only so much you can do with it. Disney should stick to making the absolute  best possible big , mainline films , every two years or so and forget about spin offs. 

Fact: There's only two franchises that can support an extended universe in theory....

Marvel and DC.

You need a few solo (no pun intended) movies to get the casuals invested.

Assuming those go well, you need the team up film to be highly anticipated and to be a home run.

Or the house of cards fall.

But I repeat...you need a few solo characters that can gain a wide audience independently.

Most franchises don't have a wide roster with much casual interest.

Bumblebee?

Are you fucking kidding me?

/G1 Transformers fan

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I like the trailers but it never got a "finally" reaction from barely anyone.

The trailers were terrible imo, I would not suggest the execution was any good here, but I disagree about the bad idea, I would still be excited for a 250m Lords&Miller star wars comedy I think even now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ozymandias said:

Get ready bro, that 1 billion + Middle Earth TV show is coming out in a few years to replace Game of Thrones.  One Trilogy to rule them all and 1 TV show to rule them all.

I am a Tolkien nerd who is very skeptical about the TV show.

Seeing the wreckage of IPs that have tried to imitate MCU is truly staggering now. Of attempts to crank out a connected universe with different franchises and main/crossover vs side/solo movies, the Conjuringverse is doing fine, as is the Monsterverse for now, but everyone else is hitting rocky waters, including now Star Wars.          

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Wow, that is some epic floppage

This beats out GhostFloppers and Flop League.  I wouldn't be surprised in the coming days if the spin machine by Disney/pundits gets as virulent and nasty as Ghostbusters's got.

This is good news imo, bad films should be rejected.  And bombs like these make for the best threads.

Carry on.

:bravo:

yep, I expect a lot of spinning and blaming every niche group except people who greenlit the movie that nobody needed and who are behind some other damaging decisions. 

3 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

There's only so much you can do with always the same setting

Which is why they have to switch it up big time if they want to steer the ship

Sci-fi is still sci-fi. Make the most lavish planets you want, create the most outrageous creatures, it’s still going to be sci-fi. The phantom menace looks different to every other sw films and even though it did well at the bo it’s one of the most hated sw films (at least I think so, I am no expert in the matter) . Anyway one film per two years is enough for Star Wars to sustain its elite status as a franchise because debacles like this solo film certainly make a dent.

1 hour ago, harrycaul said:

If even half the movies internet forums said lost money actually lost money, Hollywood would have vanished decades ago.

Agree

1 hour ago, InVy said:

is somebody getting fired from Lucasfilm for the "brilliant" idea for Solo film? or Bob Iger will wait if they can self-correct?

Wasn't he the one who pushed for fast releases in the first place (including or especially SW7)? I hope someone has the energy to look that up.

1 hour ago, Alli said:

No way. I thought people enjoyed it. Why the huge drops? Any guesses?

if someone is willing to work through some teen-orientated comments incl websites, only an idea:

the www over-dramatic ~ hysteria brainwashes the younger ones to jump on the anti-is-cool-train and hinder their parents to pick it for an afternoon out of the house, missing as such an opportunity to form an own opinion.

Not excluding parents from the dislikers of....

I do not doubt there are ppl who do not like the movie itself, but a huge majority of the reasons given in what I skimmed over, do not have anything to do with the movie itself, or seem not having seen it, but watched e.g. reviews, or...  = those seem to drown/overlay those reactions that might actually give reasons for disliking it after actually having seen the movie. The only place where I found reactions for not liking it (or not that that much) that do actually give reasons beside the same empty (as in not giving examples, no balance,...) chants' was here at BOT, mixed through with ppl who actually do like it.

Outside BOT it seem partly a bit dangerous' to like it, see YT-promis that had to deactivate their comment section after telling they liked it, up to getting death-threats.

In the end it takes on IMHO a new dimensions of a kind of mob-mentality

Generally as stated some days back, it might get seen like I see it, it being a 3.7 prequel-side-story, means not a main story by more ppl than some expected.

Too early before it got more of an foundation by the main stories, less of an controversial situation

Only examples for possibilities out of many more reasons possible in addition to the IMHO not many real basic reasons given by the varying anti-groups here, who love to crusade against .... till the end of time

• Like 3