Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

Just now, GirafficPark said:

There is no point to mystery boxing, especially when its as crap as Abrams. The man has now ruined 2 great franchises with his BS.

I blame both directors...

JJ for setting wrong expectations with no payoff and Rian for making TLJ and forgetting it was a sequel to TFA 

• Like 2

would love to see synder's aesthetics in an sw movie. it would good from him to switch to a different studio too. god knows he wants to make one. that he made an r-rated watchmen possible (irrespective of the loopholes of the movie) gives him a lifetime pass from me. working in a different studio's hierarchy, working with a studio that by default forces sunshine and levity in films, maybe his flaws will be counter-balanced.

Edited by A2k Raptor
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Oh please , it’s just a movie , it’s not like we had a mass shooting and people are rejoicing or whatever . If you can’t stand it stop reading the thread, that’s what I would do if something that liked failed and couldn’t stand to read the reactions. 

Dont over react or anything, there is such a thing as nuance.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

They will have another one for sure.

I guess they might, in a distant future. Right now the momentum is too much in their favor, but sometime down the line, it's possible. I mean, who thought The Force Awakens would be followed by Solo just 3 years after. But I think that in order for us to get a flop, they need a super divisive movie alas BVS/TLJ, and if they managed to bounce back from the hyper messy Age Of Ultron, then I don't know what it'll take (though I don't think AOU got BVS/TLJ-type wom, but it was still not very enthusiastic to say the least) :lol:

3 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

JJ for setting wrong expectations with no payoff and Rian for making TLJ and forgetting it was a sequel to TFA 

Exactly, that epic ending in TFA was merely just a comedic moment in TLJ, most inappropriate and disconnected tone of all time...

4 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Please explain to me how TLJ is not a sequel to TFA. No Star Wars film has literally just continued the story directly after the previous one finished. 

1 hour ago, lab276 said:

It only matters who wins the year and I don't see Ultron at the top of the list.

It also matters how the MCU is flying from success to success while now that Disney dares to try and milk Star Wars a bit, we see the results. If Disney continues to treat Star Wars as the MCU it will be exposed even further for the empty shell of a franchise it really is. We are going to have a lot of laughs with future Star Wars films if Disney actually continues with the “one sw film per year” plan.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, A2k Raptor said:

would love to see synder's aesthetics in an sw movie. it would good from him to switch to a different studio too. god knows he wants to make one. that he made an r-rated watchmen possible (irrespective of the loopholes of the movie) gives him a lifetime pass from me.

The last thing the new SW needs is more paper thin characters that are also unlikable with a Randian ethos.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Franklin808 said:

Please explain to me how TLJ is not a sequel to TFA. No Star Wars film has literally just continued the story directly after the previous one finished. 

That's the remarkable thing lol.  

Just now, TalismanRing said:

The last thing the new SW needs is more paper thin characters that are also unlikable with a Randian ethos.

i think working with a different studio absent the visionary status and playing by that studio's guidelines (brightness, humor, family audience) will force him to counter his style. the question is why would he do that : that's why saying that the opportunity to direct a dream film like sw, can force him to embrace those changes.

1 minute ago, A2k Raptor said:

i think working with a different studio absent the visionary status and playing by that studio's guidelines (brightness, humor, family audience) will force him to counter his style. the question is why would he do that : that's why saying that the opportunity to direct a dream film like sw, can force him to embrace those changes.

He's never shown the capacity to make a film with any of those aspects.  Nor does he think there's anything wrong with the tone or storytelling of his movies.  When confronted with criticism he doubled down in the next film and even after the debacle of BvS he reportedly did the more of the same on JL until he was removed.

But if he has a penchant to show he wants to or is capable of change he should try it first on a $5m movie and not a $250m one.

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Why everything must be so Amero-centric? Asian actors didn't do shit for SW popularity in Asia (RO dropped hard from TFA in Japan proving that only the Saga matters, not spin-offs even with blatant pandering to those markets or maybe because of it cause nobody likes tokenism). Muslim actor didn't do shit for RO boxoffice in Muslim countries. LA rejected TLJ despite Latino actor's expanded screen time. In short, diverse actors didn't do shit for boxoffice among ethnicity they belong to outside of US. So are those countries racist against their own or simply don't give a fuck about a franchise that they perceive to be uninteresting and don't feel patriotic duty to support those token characters/actors? 

Point is, there will be small but loud minority that rages against diverse casting but at the end of the day diverse casting is really just an American thing that the world doesn't give a crap about because it's mostly just tokenism. Black Panther did well in Africa cause it wasn't tokenism but celebrated African culture, while they couldn't give 2 fucks about Finn or Lando.  All those countries have their own cinemas that represent their ways of life, so they are not thirsty for seeing "people that look like me" in Hollywood blockbusters where they mostly play background characters or filler anyway. 

It’s the bullshit we have to endure from Americans that think that progressive thinking is having a gay character in a film, while not giving a shit about social security and the treating of the poor for example.

I had the same problem when trying to explain how black panther would do great overseas and people WOULDNT GIVE A SHIT if it has many black actors or not just if it was a great movie with Americans in this forum insisting that it would flop overseas because of its non-cultural status for overseas movie goers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, GirafficPark said:

Word of mouth for this is very good right now. All the fan sites, blogs and forums are buzzing. Even the GA reaction seems to be great. If ever there was evidence that the RT audience score has been poisoned by trolls and bots its this.

I keep seeing this how RT was poisoned and that the buzz is positive by i still think the WOM will be mixed. 

I still see a lot of people, myself included, say that the movie was meh or forgettable.

And if you actually read a lot of the audience score from those you can tell have actually seen the movie, a lot of them are still pretty negative.

i think whether or not people like the movie is still 50/50. The WOM is not all in out good.